Should ALL Christians eat and drink the emblems of Jesus?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Should ALL Christians eat and drink the emblems of Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

That's this topic about: Should ALL Christians partake of the symbols of Christ?

First idea: To whom did Christ tell that he was making a covenant with, so they will be kings and judges?

Luke 22:24 However, there also arose a heated dispute among them over which one of them was considered to be the greatest. 25 But he said to them: “The kings of the nations lord it over them, and those having authority over them are called Benefactors. 26 You, though, are not to be that way. But let the one who is the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the one taking the lead as the one ministering. 27 For which one is greater, the one dining or the one serving? Is it not the one dining? But I am among you as the one serving.
28 “However, you are the ones who have stuck with me in my trials; 29 and I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom, 30 so that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom, and sit on thrones to judge the 12 tribes of Israel.

Second idea: If during the great tribulation Jesus separates sheep from goats according to what humans did to their brothers, who would be his brothers, and who would be the sheep selected for having treated them well? (Matt. 25:31-46).

Matt. 25:31 “When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit down on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will put the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right: ‘Come, you who have been blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the founding of the world. 35 For I became hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you received me hospitably; 36 naked and you clothed me. I fell sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous ones will answer him with the words: ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and receive you hospitably, or naked and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 In reply the King will say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ ...

tam
Savant

Re: Should ALL Christians eat and drink the emblems of Jesus?

Post #71

Post by tam »

Peace again to you all,

I do not know if there is much more for me to be able to say on the matter than has already been said, except perhaps the following reminder:

ALL of Israel at the manna from heaven. (Even the foreigners who left Egypt and went with Israel ate the manna, even drinking from the same Rock that is Christ - and of course Christ is the true manna from heaven.)

ALL of Israel ate the Passover (and the unleavened bread). Not just the priests. (Even the alien living among them was permitted to eat the Passover if desired, providing the alien and all their males were circumcised according to the law. Well, the law now is LOVE.**)

Finally:

ALL of Israel were included in the (old) covenant. Not just the priests, but the common people of Israel as well. ALL the people of Israel were part of the covenant.

Just as ALL Christians are part of the new covenant.

May any who wish them be given ears to hear the truth of this matter from the One who is Himself the Truth: Christ Jaheshua.

May anyone who thirsts and anyone who wishes, "Come! Take the free gift of the water of LIFE!"

Peace again to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

(** please also see first post on this thread: viewtopic.php?p=1114622#p1114622 )
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #72

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Eloi wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 pm The Kingdom of God include kings (they are also priests) and subjects of that Kingdom here on earth.
Brother Herd made an interesting point in this mornings worship, that there is a signicance for we, the other sheep in being present and passing the bread and wine; like a public statement we wish to be subjects of the kingdom. A nice thought.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

MissKate13
Sage

Post #73

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to Eloi in post #1]

What is the New Covenant?
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #74

historia wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:31 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:56 am
My understanding is only CATHOLICS belive the food is literally transformed miraculously inside their stomachs.
I don't think any Christian church thinks that a change takes place inside the believer's stomach.

Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox Christians, and many Protestants churches believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and that change takes place during the Mass or service. The Roman Catholic doctrine on transubstantiation simply concerns how that happens.
Apparently there are those that believe that wine literally takes on life saving properties; I wonder if this is an isolated idea or if there are entire religious denominatons that believe this?

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

historia
Prodigy

Post #75

Post by historia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:16 pm
Apparently there are those that believe that wine literally takes on life saving properties; I wonder if this is an isolated idea or if there are entire religious denominatons that believe this?
Where did you see or hear this belief? And what did they mean by "life saving properties"?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #76

historia wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:07 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:16 pm
Where did you see or hear this belief? And what did they mean by "life saving properties"?
Well, I dont want to put anybody on the spot but I think the idea is (and Im trying to understand it myself) is just like some believe the blood of Christ is what saves mankind from sin, some believe wine saves people from sin.

I think thats the idea...I dont know if this is a one of or if I just havent come across it before.

historia
Prodigy

Post #77

Post by historia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:11 pm
I think the idea is (and Im trying to understand it myself) is just like some believe the blood of Christ is what saves mankind from sin, some believe wine saves people from sin.
Christians have historically believed that the sacraments confer grace (see CCC 1127). Maybe that is what is lurking behind those comments? Hard to say without knowing exactly what was said.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #78

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #27]

Are you part of the new covenant?

MissKate13
Sage

Post #79

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to Eloi in post #1]

Is the following quote what Jehovah’s Witnesses believe? Is this why the so-called “great crowd” do not participate in sharing the Lord’s Supper?

True or false
“Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that ONLY the anointed 144,000 enter into the New Covenant and have Christ Jesus as their mediator.”