Should Christians judge?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Should Christians judge?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:56 pm This is about how logically impossible I find it not to judge people. I have to use my judgment. I have to say, "That which they are doing is wrong," in order that I can choose not to do it.

And yet the Bible tells Christians not to judge people so if they actually follow that (I think it's impossible without cognitive dissonance) then they're not hating or -phobic of anyone.

They think the behaviour is wrong which probably should count, but due to some weasel definitionalism from the people defining the term homophobia, it doesn't. Not without that emotional charge, which Christian teachings prohibit. Due to the same admittedly ridiculous loophole, I can believe it's immoral to be Black or Asian and not be a racist unless I believe they're inferior. :chuckel:
Should Christians judge?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Should Christians judge?

Post #11

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:03 am
Wootah wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:21 pm Should Christians judge?
Not at the level of the Supreme Court, at least.
Or even below that, if the case of a judge who overruled the decision of a Jury because God told him to is true. But of course this is not the normal. It is rather like the question of whether scientists who are Christians can do proper science -work. Yes, of course they can, so long as they don't let their Faith side of the brain operate when they are doing their job.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Should Christians judge?

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:45 pm [Replying to Wootah in post #1

I think it's supposed to be about judging the action and not the person.

If everyone said, "I can't condemn the wrong they're doing because I've done wrong myself," no wrong would ever be challenged.
You're still using that measuring stick though; the one the Bible says don't use, implying that it'll come back against you and you'll be found wanting, too.

My point in the post the OP quoted is that let's say for the sake of argument that homosexuality is wrong, and I see a throng of oiled gay men having an orgy. If I don't use that measuring stick, and determine that what they are doing is wrong, how am I going to refuse when they ask me to join them?

How am I supposed to say, "Well, that is not wrong for them bless their oily buttholes, but it sure would be wrong if I did it so I won't," without serious cognitive dissonance? I'm not... capable of that. If it's wrong then it's wrong. Period. If I'm being called to carve my brain out of my head until I don't understand what they're doing and/or remember the Bible said not to do it, then I join them because I don't know not to.