Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Post #1

Post by POI »

For eons, theists will quote Scripture, with the presupposition that it is authoritative in some kind of way. I contend that the Bible is no better or worse than any other collection of writings. Meaning, it may appear to have some 'good' things to say, some 'bad' things to say, some 'strange' things to say, some 'wrong' things to say, some untenable things to say, some contradictory things to say, etc etc etc....

Any of us can produce passages and quotes from anyone, or any publication. To many, the Bible is just another one of those tools for use, where applicable.

For Debate:

Why should one more-so care what the Bible says? Is it because....

1. It is the inspired word of God? If so, how do you know?

2. Another reason(s)? If so, what, and why does this make anyone care what the Bible says?
Last edited by POI on Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

i shall be fascinated to see how this goes. Say...Jericho is a real place...so everything else in the Bible must be true.
"I asked God for evidence, but allI got was this old Book."

POI
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by POI »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #2]

My hypothesis.... 'crickets', with maybe a small sprinkling of responses from a very small and familiar populous.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:00 pm For eons, theists will quote Scripture, with the presupposition that it is authoritative in some kind of way. I contend that the Bible is no better or worse than any other collection of writings. Meaning, it may appear to have some 'good' things to say, some 'bad' things to say, so 'strange' things to say, some 'wrong' things to say, some untenable things to say, some contradictory things to say, etc etc etc....

Any of us can produce passages and quotes from anyone, or any publication. To many, the Bible is just another one of those tools for use, where applicable.

For Debate:

Why should one more-so care what the Bible says? Is it because....

Because the Bible says it is. And why should anyone care what the Bible says? Because it's the inspired word of God. Circular reasoning I know, but many don't recognize the fallacy, or simply don't care. Fact is, there is no proof whatsoever that a god had any part in creating the Bible. But people accept the Bible as authoritative because they need to, freely picking those cherries that conform to their theology, while ignoring those cherries that don't. Is it any wonder there are more than 200 Christian denominations in the U.S. and a staggering 45,000 globally?* Nope. Christianity is a true Do-It-Yourself religion.

....................................................................... Image

............................................................. Self Delusion. Ahhh, must be a wonderful world to live in.

* source

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

When it comes down to it, Indeterminacy doesn't frighten me.The Holographic universe doesn't frighten me. Not even the threat of a nuclear WWIII frightens me unduly. What frightens me at times, and not even Hellthreat does that ;) ) is that half the people in the USA believe that Genesis is factual.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:50 pm When it comes down to it, Indeterminacy doesn't frighten me.The Holographic universe doesn't frighten me. Not even the threat of a nuclear WWIII frightens me unduly. What frightens me at times, and not even Hellthreat does that ;) ) is that half the people in the USA believe that Genesis is factual.
But half the population has an IQ below average, which I'd like to think are the Genesis cheerleaders. Those likely living in Mississippi, Louisiana, California, Hawaii, Alabama, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona, Arkansas, and Tennessee where the average IQ ranges from 97.7 (Tennessee) to 94.2 (Mississippi).

Just as a matter of information, the top ranking states for average IQ are Massachusetts, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Vermont, Minnesota, Maine, Montana, Iowa, Connecticut, and Wisconsin, where the average IQ ranges from 104.3 (Massachusetts) to 102.9 (Wisconsin).
source

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

WHY SHOULD ANYONE CARE WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS?

• Anyone that believes in God should care because its writers claimed to be inspired by God and any search for Him should include an examination of the evidence that support such claims.
  • Christians should care because its the only book that contains the teachings of one Jesus of nazareth..
  • People should care because it has timeless principles which if applied can lead to a happier life..
  • Scholars should care because it contains interesting historical details that cast light on mankind's past..
  • Literary critics should care because it is one of the most influencial book in human history..
  • Booksellers should care because it is the worlds best selling book, by far every year..
  • Antibiblist should care because one should be informed of that which one opposes
1 PETER 1:12 - Berean Standard Bible

... those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things

QUOTATIONS about The Bible
I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man. All the good from The Savior of the world is communicated to us through this Book. - Abraham Lincoln

A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education. - Theodore Roosevelt

The Bible is one of the greatest blessings bestowed by God on the children of men. It has God for its author; salvation for its end, and truth without any mixture for its matter. It is all pure. - John Locke

If you look at the Bible as a whole, it's redemptive and beautiful, and it's God's love story to mankind. -- Tom Shadyac

The book to read is not the one which thinks for you, but the one which makes you think. No book in the world equals the Bible for that. - Harper Lee

The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed. - Patrick Henry

RELATED POSTS

Did the bible really fight to survive?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 78#p820878

Have people always been encouraged to read the Bible?
viewtopic.php?p=1054126#p1054126

Do Jehovahs Witnesses read the Bible?
viewtopic.php?p=1054250#p1054250

To learn more please see other posts related to...

THE BIBLE , HERMENEUTICS* and ... BEST TRANSLATION
* bible interpretation
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon May 01, 2023 7:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:24 am WHY SHOULD ANYONE CARE WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS?
  • Anyone that believes in God should care because its writers claimed to be inspired by God and any search for Him should include an examination of such claims.
We needn't care because the Bible clearly isn't inspired by a god but by mans'imagination.
  • Christians should care because its the only book that contains the teachings of one Jesus of nazareth..
Then they should care about the Tripitaka because it is the only book that contains the teachings of Buddha. Why should we care more about one book than the other?
  • People should care because it has timeless principles which if applied can lead to a happier life..
Why should we care about a book that contains somuch wrong information, nonsense and bad ideas and advice?
  • Scholars should care because it contains interesting historical details that cast light on mankind's past..
As an ancient work of literature,Ok. No more than that.
  • Literalists should care because it is one of the most influencial book in human history..
The only lesson to learn from that is how easily people can be deluded.
  • Booksellers should care because it is the worlds best selling book, by far every year..
Fair enough :) we should care that religion is a great scam for money -spinners.
  • Antibiblist should care because one should be informed of that which one opposes
We note that the Biblists think they know and understand the Bible better than the non -Biblists. More often we find it's the other way around.
1 PETER 1:12 - Berean Standard Bible

... those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things

JW

To learn more please see other posts related to...

THE BIBLE , HERMENEUTICS* and ... BEST TRANSLATION
* bible interpretation

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:00 pm
Why should one more-so care what the Bible says?
We should care because they vote.

No other reason stands as important as this'n, though many'll take a good run at it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:00 pm ....

2. Another reason(s)? If so, what, and why does this make anyone care what the Bible says?
I care about what Bible tells, because I think it is wiser than atheists and it has been useful for me. But, I have no reason to say others must do the same.