Did Adam make the right choice in letting Eve take a bite?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Did Adam make the right choice in letting Eve take a bite?

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Did Adam make the right choice in letting Eve take a bite?

Things Adam could/should he have done differently, might include.

Pick up a rock and dash in the head of Serpent before it could further entice Eve.
Runaway and find God/call pout to God in a loud voice and tell Him what was happening/make Him aware of it.
Remind Eve that while she could touch the fruit and examine it, she wasn't to eat it, and that the Serpent, while a know-all, didn't know everything.
Smack the fruit out of her hand, when she went to bite it.
Let Eve do as she pleased, and wash his hands of her.

When Eve saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto Adam who was with her; and he did eat as well.(Author unknown)
______________________Image
Image depicting Adam's point of view.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Did Adam make the right choice in letting Eve take a bite?

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

William wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:21 am
If you simply dropped by to complain about which version of that part of the story you think everyone should be following, then you have my answer.
You're right, I'm sorry if I came over as complaining, it was wrong of me to give that impression, I apologise. To answer your question as to why Adam made that choice I think it was because he loved his wife more than he loved God.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Avoice
Guru

Post #12

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #11]

You know how much trouble one can get into by not basing our beliefs on facts.

Nothing in the Eden narrative suggests he loved Eve more than God.

There is a grand lesson in Eden and God wasted no time in telling us. It is this:
•Listen to Gods voice and obey him.
•If another voice other than God says differently don’t listen to it. Especially an unidentified voice.
• We are introduced to the adversary. Satan. Not by name but by his description
• the adversary will use mans greatest desire to get nan to disregard Gods commands. Promising eternal life to those who disobey God.
•Their eyes were opened by the adversary. They learned what sin was when the adversary entered Eden.
•we know the adversary has been with us since the beginning
• We learn that one can’t cover their sins in the hope that God won’t punish us.
•We learn that if one tries covering their sins they accuse themself of being guilty,
WHEN GOD CAUGHT UP WITH ADAM AND AND EVE THEY TOLD GID THEY WERE HIDING BECAUSE THEY WERE NAKED. God replied: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YIU WERE NAKED? They told themselves that. As soon as they sinned they knew they did wrong. Their sin manifested itself physically and they covered themselves fig leaves.

By hiding themself it proved to God thst they intentionally disobeyed. They knew what he commanded but disobeyed anyway. Jesus is the fatal fig leaf for those that hide behind him? God will ask why you need Jesus? You are admitting to know you’ve done wrong. So stop doing wrong.

Interestingly enough when Jesus opened the eyes of the blind man a comment was made that Jesus must be from God. They said SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME has anyone opened the eyes if one born blind? They were specific… they said the beginning of time. That would be in Eden. Jesus makes a comment “Had I not come and spoken to them they had not had sin. But now they have no cloak for their sin”. Gee… who does he remind me of? Jesus..believe him and you’ll live forever. Ignore the laws God gave and you will live forever? That’s the oldest trick in the book

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

[Replying to Avoice in post #12]
Nothing in the Eden narrative suggests he loved Eve more than God.
Nothing I can identify in that part of the story narrative, or even the part leading up to it, suggests Adam loved Eve.
However the OP question isn't asking "Why did Adam eat the fruit.

Your post has nothing to do with the OP question or even attempts to answer what the right choice would have been for Adam to make, if he didn't make the right choice letting Eve eat the fruit.

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:21 am
If you don't have any of those things to add to the discussion, please don't interfere any more.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Please cease from advising posters when they may or may not post.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

William
Savant

Post #15

Post by William »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #11]
You're right, I'm sorry if I came over as complaining, it was wrong of me to give that impression, I apologise.
Thank you for admitting that.
To answer your question as to why Adam made that choice I think it was because he loved his wife more than he loved God.
The OP question isn't asking why Adam made the choice he did. Rather it asks "Did Adam make the right choice in letting Eve take a bite?" and also asks what other choices Adam had and lists a few examples for discussion.

If Adam did love Eve, how can we explain why he stood by and watched/listened as Eve was being tempted by Serpent?

I have no other answer for that other than he must not have loved his wife.
Aligning the idea that Adam loved Eve with the suggestions as to what he might have done differently:

He did not pick up a rock and dash in the head of Serpent before it could further entice Eve.
He did not runaway and find YHVH/call pout to YHVH in a loud voice and tell YHVH what was happening/make YHVH aware of it.
He did not remind Eve that while she could touch the fruit and examine it, she wasn't to eat it, and that the Serpent, while a know-all, didn't know everything.
He did not smack the fruit out of her hand, when she went to bite it.

Should he have let Eve do as she pleased, and wash his hands of her? Would that have been a sign that he loved Eve, but that he loved YHVH more?
Would that have been the right thing for Adam to have done?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Eloi »

There is no point on debating an event (Adam letting Eve to take a bite of the forbidden fruit) that never happened

... and that directly contradicts the event that the Bible actually recounts differently (Eve was thoroughly deceived by Satan __ Gen. 3:13 __ becoming a transgressor __ 1 Tim. 2:14 __ , inviting later Adam to eat with her, so he ate __ Gen. 3:6).

To reinvent the biblical stories to personal taste, a fiction subforum like "Random ramblings" should be used instead, IMO.

otseng
Savant

Post #17

Post by otseng »

Eloi wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:36 pm There is no point on debating an event (Adam letting Eve to take a bite of the forbidden fruit) that never happened
Moderator Comment

People are free to debate anything, esp any claim in the Bible.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Eloi »

Enjoy the company then. You deserve each other. 8-)

otseng
Savant

Post #19

Post by otseng »

Eloi wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:15 pm Enjoy the company then. You deserve each other. 8-)
:warning: Moderator Warning

This forum is for civil debate, not uncivil comments about others.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Eloi »

Isn't it civil to share my opinion?

If I want to debate why Solomon built a temple in Jerusalem for Molech, that is not a biblical issue but a lack of respect to the word of God.

"The beginning of wisdom is the fear of Jehovah." All Jehovah's Witnesses know that.

PS: Internet is huge. A forum is not made by the administrator but by the participants.
Until forever. ;)