Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Post #1

Post by POI »

For eons, theists will quote Scripture, with the presupposition that it is authoritative in some kind of way. I contend that the Bible is no better or worse than any other collection of writings. Meaning, it may appear to have some 'good' things to say, some 'bad' things to say, some 'strange' things to say, some 'wrong' things to say, some untenable things to say, some contradictory things to say, etc etc etc....

Any of us can produce passages and quotes from anyone, or any publication. To many, the Bible is just another one of those tools for use, where applicable.

For Debate:

Why should one more-so care what the Bible says? Is it because....

1. It is the inspired word of God? If so, how do you know?

2. Another reason(s)? If so, what, and why does this make anyone care what the Bible says?
Last edited by POI on Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Post #41

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:46 am
POI wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:26 am Please re-read what I wrote. Do you NOT have a contradiction between God's instruction(s), verses your own?
If I would have contradictory ideas, it would not mean Bible is contradictory. And I thought you were claiming Bible has contradiction in itself.
You are side-stepping the issue. Do you have conflicting and/or contradictory moral evaluations, as compared to God, or not?

The reason you continue to evade this question is you realize you are now in between a rock and a hard place.

So which one is it? Do you agree with god about his apparent given instructions for chattel slavery, or not?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #42

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:02 pm
POI wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:26 am Please re-read what I wrote. Do you NOT have a contradiction between God's instruction(s), verses your own?
If I would have contradictory ideas, it would not mean Bible is contradictory. And I thought you were claiming Bible has contradiction in itself.
You are side-stepping the issue. Do you have conflicting and/or contradictory moral evaluations, as compared to God, or not?

The reason you continue to evade this question is you realize you are now in between a rock and a hard place.

So which one is it? Do you agree with god about his apparent given instructions for chattel slavery, or not?
If I would not agree with Bible or God, it would not make Bible contradictory. Apparently now we agree that Bible has no real contradiction, but I may have a contradiction with the Bible?

I don't think I have moral contradiction with the Biblical teachings. I have moral contradiction with what you claim.

Savant

Post #43

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:05 am ....
I don't believe any of their Holy Books or Personal Experiences, just as you don't. I don't believe any of the personal experience for God, ....
I actually believe many of the stories and experiences can be true. For example the Greek gods, I think it is possible they existed. All details are not necessary correct, but the basic idea can be.

I don't say I believe them, because it is irrelevant to me, but, I also can't say I don't believe that they existed. I have not enough information, nor motive to decide.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #44

Post by JehovahsWitness »

1213 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:16 am
I actually believe many of the stories and experiences can be true. For example the Greek gods, I think it is possible they existed. All details are not necessary correct, but the basic idea can be.

I don't say I believe them, because it is irrelevant to me, but, I also can't say I don't believe that they existed. I have not enough information, nor motive to decide.

I agree; I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss ancient myths and legends as they probably contain grains of truth... for example the stories of the gods visiting man in human form to mate with women might be a reference to the fallen angels of Noah's time or the Nephelim.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Clownboat
Savant

Post #45

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:07 am

I agree; I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss ancient myths and legends as they probably contain grains of truth... for example the stories of the gods visiting man in human form to mate with women might be a reference to the fallen angels of Noah's time or the Nephelim.
Look! This myth just might support my myth!
Anything to avoid the rational conclusion that god concepts are human constructs. Nah, can't be human construct, the gods just really, really, really like virgin girls so they take on human form to have sex with them.

Are the gods and angels still having sex with our virgins, or was that just a phase they went through a few thousand years ago?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

POI
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:15 am
POI wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:02 pm

If I would not agree with Bible or God, it would not make Bible contradictory. Apparently now we agree that Bible has no real contradiction, but I may have a contradiction with the Bible?

I don't think I have moral contradiction with the Biblical teachings. I have moral contradiction with what you claim.
I'm not talking about Bible contradictions. I'm talking about the moral contradiction you have with your god.

Stating "nuh-uh", as your rebuttal, will not win the debate. God gives instruction for chattel slavery and also the breeding of chattel slaves. I doubt you agree with these God given instructions. So just admit you do not agree with God's given instructions, so we can be done with it. Are you going to do so? Or, are you going to claim that the Bible does not sanction chattel slavery? If so, please address here ---> Post 76 (viewtopic.php?t=40608&start=70).

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #47

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:07 am

Come off it, :D You know this is merely cherry picking and morphing anything and everything to fit YOUR version of Biblefaith. Just as in the past, I have seen Biblestories reinterpreted as UFO encounters, or for that matter, ancient records and myths as Flying Saucer evidence.

No, there comes a time when you have to say: 'This isn't evidence enough for any one theory or belief." But the Believers and cultists went right past that as they never learned to say it.

historia
Prodigy

Post #48

Post by historia »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:00 pm
Why should one more-so care what the Bible says?
That's easy. The Bible has had an unrivaled impact on western culture.

In fact, it's influence is so deeply felt in western societies that those who are secular, or even anti-religious, continue to be influenced by Christian ideals that stem ultimately from the Bible.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by JoeyKnothead »

historia wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:06 pm

In fact, it's influence is so deeply felt in western societies that those who are secular, or even anti-religious, continue to be influenced by Christian ideals that stem ultimately from the Bible.
Yeah, influenced by the Christian ideals of pregnant women who risk dying during pregnancy, and the whole transgender war going on right now.

Christianity has an outsized influence because of the barbaric tactics employed in its spread. Look up how Christian Spain treated Native Americans for further evidence of Christian "influence". Heck, the Pilgrims escaped Christian influence (persecution) so they could do their own form of it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

POI
Prodigy

Post #50

Post by POI »

historia wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:06 pm

Impact in what way? Making countless people homophobes, delaying women's rights, impacting anti-science - teaching that evolution is a lie, etc? I guess the question I'm asking is.... Is what the Bible says, the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? If not, which parts do we ignore, dismiss, and/or other, and why?

Like question one asks, for debate:

1. It is the inspired word of God? If so, how do you know?