Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

How do Theists explain Matter?

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Theist claim God is immaterial. Materialists claim E=m*c2. That Energy and speed were always in existence, thus Matter. They are the true Trinity.

How do Theists explain an immaterial Being spoke "Let there be light" and it happened without resorting to it being a magical incantation?
How do Theists explain how Matter exists at all?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

brunumb
Savant

Re: How do Theists explain Matter?

Post #11

Post by brunumb »

tam wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:19 pm Peace to you,
brunumb wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:15 pm
tam wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:47 am The spiritual is still made up of energy.
What is this energy you speak of? Potential Energy? Electrical Energy? Chemical Energy? Be specific.
Dynamic energy. I do not know what specific kinds of energy that includes (if not all of them).
On what basis are you saying that it is dynamic energy? Why has science not caught up with this form of energy while you are in a position to claim its existence? Simply making stuff up is not the scientific method.
Doesn't dynamic just mean active?

Peace to you.
How does that answer my questions?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

tam
Savant

Post #12

Post by tam »

brunumb wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:25 am
What is this energy you speak of? Potential Energy? Electrical Energy? Chemical Energy? Be specific.
Dynamic energy. I do not know what specific kinds of energy that includes (if not all of them).
On what basis are you saying that it is dynamic energy? Why has science not caught up with this form of energy while you are in a position to claim its existence? Simply making stuff up is not the scientific method.

Peace to you.
I'm not sure your questions still apply. What kind of energy is not active? Who says science has not "caught up" with this form of energy? By reason and logic alone, imo, energy that causes vibration to create light (or anything else) must be active. Yes?

Peace again.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

brunumb
Savant

Post #13

Post by brunumb »

tam wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:30 am

Peace to you.
I'm not sure your questions still apply. What kind of energy is not active? Who says science has not "caught up" with this form of energy? By reason and logic alone, imo, energy that causes vibration to create light (or anything else) must be active. Yes?

Peace again.
Potential energy is not active. Nor is chemical energy. You can't simply claim that this new form of energy exists without some supporting evidence. On what basis can you say that this dynamic energy caused anything, other than you want it to?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

tam
Savant

Post #14

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
brunumb wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:38 am
tam wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:30 am

Peace to you.

Peace again.
Potential energy is not active. Nor is chemical energy. You can't simply claim that this new form of energy exists without some supporting evidence. On what basis can you say that this dynamic energy caused anything, other than you want it to?
I never claimed some new form of energy. Just energy (that is dynamic, see above). I assume you have no quarrel with the fact that dynamic (active) energy exists or that energy that is active, that acts as a force, does in fact cause things to happen. I can't see a reason you would deny that other than that I am the one saying it. No doubt I am not saying it well though, so I apologize, but that is why I quoted from the words of Einstein (and others).

This thread asks how theists explain matter. Well energy and matter are interchangeable - two forms of the same thing - so I do not see the problem in the OP. If there is energy, there can be matter (and vice versa).

I just don't see what the problem is and I do not understand what you are objecting to.

Peace again.

brunumb
Savant

Post #15

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to tam in post #14]

Where does God come into it and why is he a necessity in that case?

tam
Savant

Post #16

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
brunumb wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:56 am [Replying to tam in post #14]

Are you meaning to ask questions outside the scope of the OP?

brunumb
Savant

Post #17

Post by brunumb »

tam wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:02 am Peace to you,
brunumb wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:56 am [Replying to tam in post #14]

Are you meaning to ask questions outside the scope of the OP?
No. It is perfectly within the scope of the OP. Are you hoping to avoid providing adequate scientific explanations for your claims of "dynamic" energy as well as how God is involved in the formation of matter? Perhaps you could consult your Lord for some meaningful responses.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by boatsnguitars »

It's fascinating because most Theists believe God "thought" Matter into existence. Not even spoke - since you can't have sound without Matter. It's worse than a magical incantation.

Yet, they demand we treat their belief in this with reverence and respect....
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by boatsnguitars »

boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:50 pm It's fascinating because most Theists believe God "thought" Matter into existence. Not even spoke - since you can't have sound without Matter. It's worse than a magical incantation.

Yet, they demand we treat their belief in this with reverence and respect....
What's interesting - and I may be exposing my own ignorance - is that I'm not aware of any Abrahamic religious sect positing that God is the Ground of Matter. It would be interesting if someone posting that God was Matter, Energy & Time - not that God created those things.

It would be marginally more believable, but still a huge problem to prove. They could say that Heaven is a emergent property of God's Brain. That the Supernatural is an emergent property. They could argue that accepting Jesus means we are giving God the "Rights" to upload our consciousness into God's Supercomputer Brain, where we exist as a "computer program" for all eternity. "I accept Jesus" is the password, so to speak.

But, I suppose they need to hold the party line of Bronze Age sheep herders.
― Omar Khayyâm

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by Purple Knight »

If ever there was nothing - not anything at all - and then, there was something, that is by definition magical - outside of the laws we accept apply to our reality.

That doesn't mean it's unnatural but within the laws we live under, things do not disappear or spontaneously appear, they just change form.

So either the universe has a magical creator with access to energy from someplace our laws do not apply, the universe spontaneously leaked in from somewhere like that, or the universe always was in some form. All of these are counterintuitive but the last one is arguably the least so.