Exposing Discovery Institute And its Proponents

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Post #1

Post by Miles »

In post #57 of the thread Why Do YOU Think People Believe in God? TRANSPONDER was good enough to share a YouTube expose of Catholic creationist Michael Behe, a senior fellow of the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture. Having watched the video I was impressed with the presentation by "Professor Dave" (Dave Farina*) and his bang up job of exposing Behe as a liar. Behe's deliberate misuse of facts, his fraudulent claims, and in particular the notion of irreproducible complexity. "Professor Dave" does an equally good job at ripping into Behe's three creationist compatriots here. I have to say, it's nice to listen to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Part 1: Exposing Casey Luskin (39.8 min)

Part 2: Exposing Stephen Meyer (1:15:54)

Part 3: Exposing Michael Behe (52:24)

Part 4: Günter Bechly (44:03)

So, is there anything that Professor Dave has said that's wrong?

Is there anything that Professor Dave has said that's unfair?

* "David James "Dave" Farina, more well known by his alias Professor Dave, is an American science educator and YouTuber. He received his Bachelors Degree in Chemistry from Carleton College in 2005. After this, he taught biology, physics, and chemistry (specializing in organic chemistry) at an accredited trade university. In 2011, he began to pursue his Masters studies in synthetic organic chemistry at Cal State Northridge, and completed most of his course on synthetic organic chemistry and finished on Science Communication to get the degree in 2018.

His main goal in Science Communication "is to provide the best resource for self-education in existence," which he is presently doing through YouTube videos. So far he has had 234,493,062 views."

source: Wikipedia and Farina's home page HERE

Last edited by Miles on Sun May 14, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Exposing Discovery Institute And its Proponents

Post #2

Post by boatsnguitars »

It's not surprising at all that these people are charlatans. It's been that way since the beginning. Religion = lies.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:38 am It's not surprising at all that these people are charlatans. It's been that way since the beginning. Religion = lies.
Unfortunately, all too true. While many religions have done good, when looked at closely their balance sheets come out in the red. Far too often their success it's at the expense of truth, honesty, integrity, principles, and fairness. In fact, considering the amount of liabilities religions saddle themselves with, their lack of truthfulness, integrity, principles, and fairness appears to be a necessity rather than any inadvertent lapse in good judgment.

As for the two questions I asked, having watched all but the video on, Günter Bechly, which I skimmed through, I didn't find a thing that Professor Dave said to be wrong. Nor did I find anything he said to be unfair.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #4

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

I am not going to go through all these videos and defend them but I will say a few things about Behe.
1st. What this Dave guy "lies about" or let's say fails to mention is that the death rate in these citric-eating bacteria has now reached over 50%.
2nd. This novel mutation Dave is putting forward did generate or add genetic information to the bacteria but it subtracted information from the bacteria. It is this subtraction of information that has made these citric-eating bacteria so fragile.
3rd. Creationists have never had any problem with organisms losing information but adding information that makes the organism even more durable is not what we see in Lenski's experiment

https://idthefuture.com/1333/
When atheists are clearly answered and they run away because they have lost, then they claim they were never answered, are they liars?
by AquinasForGod

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

It is science itself which shows the direct correlation between Mind and Matter.

It is worth noting that the scientific community, including many biologists, evolutionary biologists, and other experts in related fields, largely rejects the claims of intelligent design. Critics argue that intelligent design is not supported by scientific evidence and is not a valid scientific theory because it does not provide testable hypotheses or make predictions that can be empirically verified. The overwhelming majority of the scientific community considers evolution by natural selection to be the most robust explanation for the diversity and complexity of life on Earth.

Critics of the Discovery Institute and its proponents have raised concerns about the scientific validity and nature of intelligent design. They argue that intelligent design is not grounded in empirical evidence and is not recognized as a scientific theory by the scientific community.

It occurs to me that the overall apparent competition to include ID into education system, that this is an acceptable request of the surface of those waters, but diving deeper into the agenda of the Discovery Institute and its proponents, what may be found is that it is only a particular type of ID which they wish to be taught in schools – one which upholds the beliefs of Christians/the Christian religion.

In legal cases such as Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District (2005), the court ruled that teaching intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in public schools was unconstitutional because it represented an endorsement of religious beliefs. The court concluded that intelligent design was essentially a form of creationism, which has been consistently held as a religious belief rather than a scientific theory.

I think the court and those who are arguing in that manner are conveniently conflating ID with the Discovery Institute and its proponents in order to discredit ALL ideas of ID under that umbrella of reasoning.

However, ID should not only be regarded as a strictly religious invention, let alone a strictly Christian one.

It is important to note that the association between intelligent design and religious beliefs, particularly within the context of Christian creationism, has been a significant aspect of the public discourse and legal debates surrounding the teaching of intelligent design. This association is partly due to the historical background and origins of the intelligent design movement.

What is and isn’t taught in schools influences the way in which humanity moves forward.

Here is what I think of as an example of a non-religious based ID theory which uses what science has so far shown to be true, without calling for any specific religious agenda to be supported.
It is a to recent and ongoing interaction:
“Challenging Supernaturalism in the Cosmological Argument”

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:11 pm [Replying to Miles in post #1]
It occurs to me that the overall apparent competition to include ID into education system, that this is an acceptable request of the surface of those waters, but diving deeper into the agenda of the Discovery Institute and its proponents, what may be found is that it is only a particular type of ID which they wish to be taught in schools – one which upholds the beliefs of Christians/the Christian religion.
What other type(s) of ID is there beside the one rooted in the Christian god?

I think the court and those who are arguing in that manner are conveniently conflating ID with the Discovery Institute and its proponents in order to discredit ALL ideas of ID under that umbrella of reasoning.

Truthfully, I didn't see any conflation of the pseudoscientific argument for God as the agent, ID, with those who are its proponents.

Here is what I think of as an example of a non-religious based ID theory which uses what science has so far shown to be true, without calling for any specific religious agenda to be supported.
It is a to recent and ongoing interaction:
“Challenging Supernaturalism in the Cosmological Argument”
Sorry that I don' have the time to read your link, but in short, just where does the intelligence lie in this non-religious based Intelligent Design theory?

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

[Replying to Miles in post #6]
1. Cosmic Design: This perspective suggests that the fine-tuning of the fundamental physical constants and laws of the universe is indicative of an intelligent designer. It argues that the specific values and conditions necessary for the existence of life point to intentional design without necessarily specifying a religious origin.
2. Directed Panspermia: This hypothesis proposes that life on Earth may have been intentionally seeded by an extraterrestrial civilization. It suggests that the complexity and diversity of life could be attributed to the deliberate intervention of intelligent beings from another planet or star system.
3. Simulation Hypothesis: This concept speculates that our reality is a simulated construct created by a highly advanced civilization or intelligence. It suggests that the intricacies and order observed in the universe could be the result of intentional design by the simulation creators.
Truthfully, I didn't see any conflation of the pseudoscientific argument for God as the agent, ID, with those who are its proponents.
I feel that the court ruling and those who support it are wrongly treating all ideas of intelligent design (ID) as if they are the same as the arguments put forth by the Discovery Institute and its proponents. They are conflating ID with religious beliefs, aiming to discredit all forms of ID. I believe there is a distinction between the pseudoscientific argument for God as the agent in ID and the people who support ID as a concept.
Sorry that I don' have the time to read your link, but in short, just where does the intelligence lie in this non-religious based Intelligent Design theory?
In this non-religious based ID theory, the intelligent agent is conceptualized as naturally mindful, emerging through the ongoing process of evolution within the universe. This intelligence is not tied to any specific religious entity or deity but is seen as a natural aspect that has evolved over time, predating the emergence of the Sun or Earth. The theory proposes that this mindfulness eventually manifested in the human experience. It seeks to explore the possibility that intelligence and consciousness are inherent aspects of the evolving universe, without invoking specific religious agendas.

The focus is on highlighting that the non-religious based ID theory conceptualizes the intelligent agent as naturally mindful, evolving through the ongoing process of universal evolution. It emphasizes that this perspective does not attribute intelligence to any particular religious entity or deity. Instead, it suggests that intelligence and consciousness are intrinsic aspects of the evolving universe, leading to the human experience, and aims to explore these possibilities within a non-religious framework.

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:29 pm [Replying to Miles in post #6]
1. Cosmic Design: This perspective suggests that the fine-tuning of the fundamental physical constants and laws of the universe is indicative of an intelligent designer. It argues that the specific values and conditions necessary for the existence of life point to intentional design without necessarily specifying a religious origin.
So who is doing this fine tuning if it isn't ourselves who are continually honing our understandings of our world? Or are you suggesting that the physical constants and laws of the universe themselves are being purposefully changed by Orgoff the Magnificent, or whomever?

2. Directed Panspermia: This hypothesis proposes that life on Earth may have been intentionally seeded by an extraterrestrial civilization. It suggests that the complexity and diversity of life could be attributed to the deliberate intervention of intelligent beings from another planet or star system.

3. Simulation Hypothesis: This concept speculates that our reality is a simulated construct created by a highly advanced civilization or intelligence. It suggests that the intricacies and order observed in the universe could be the result of intentional design by the simulation creators.
Intelligent designers perhaps, but no more off the wall than the designer Christian's are trying to foist upon us today.

But I do thank you for your examples, and stand all the wiser for them. :approve:

In this non-religious based ID theory, the intelligent agent is conceptualized as naturally mindful, emerging through the ongoing process of evolution within the universe. This intelligence is not tied to any specific religious entity or deity but is seen as a natural aspect that has evolved over time, predating the emergence of the Sun or Earth. The theory proposes that this mindfulness eventually manifested in the human experience. It seeks to explore the possibility that intelligence and consciousness are inherent aspects of the evolving universe, without invoking specific religious agendas.
I was looking more for the where rather than the what, but okay,

The focus is on highlighting that the non-religious based ID theory conceptualizes the intelligent agent as naturally mindful, evolving through the ongoing process of universal evolution.
What are the characteristics of being naturally mindful? And why these particular characteristics rather than some others? Moreover, why would this intelligent agent necessarily evolve trough universal evolution? Or wouldn't it?

It emphasizes that this perspective does not attribute intelligence to any particular religious entity or deity. Instead, it suggests that intelligence and consciousness are intrinsic aspects of the evolving universe, leading to the human experience, and aims to explore these possibilities within a non-religious framework.
So, where would one find this evolving intelligence and consciousness in the universe? I assume that in saying the universe evolves you mean it simply keeps changing from its present state to what, the Big Crunch or the Big Chill?

William
Savant

Post #9

Post by William »

[Replying to Miles in post #8]
So who is doing this fine tuning if it isn't ourselves who are continually honing our understandings of our world? Or are you suggesting that the physical constants and laws of the universe themselves are being purposefully changed by Orgoff the Magnificent, or whomever?
The nature of my argument isn't to do with naming the mind doing the fine-tuning. My argument is that Mind is obviously doing it.

My argument revolves around the idea that there is an evident presence of intelligence - therefore mind - involved in the fine-tuning of the fundamental physical constants and laws of the universe. The focus is on the recognition of this intelligence rather than specifically identifying or naming the entity responsible for it.
After all, that is what religion does, and we want to - specifically - keep religion out of the educational programs.
Intelligent designers perhaps, but no more off the wall than the designer Christian's are trying to foist upon us today.

But I do thank you for your examples, and stand all the wiser for them.
Convention is what we are attempting to avoid, whether that is from religious sectors or scientific ones, promoting consensus.
I was looking more for the where rather than the what, but okay,
“Where” this mind occupies spacetime, is best looked at locally. The Sun, and the planets.
It would be difficult for current scientific methods to locate a mind in Sol or in Saturn to use two examples.
There is one planet we know of which exhibits intelligent and thus mindful design.
Earth.
The focus of my argument is not to follow current scientific consensus any more than religious consensus. Consensus is simply opinion based upon how the evidence is interpreted, and of course – those who believe mindfulness is not an inherent aspect of Nature, are not going to look for, let alone recognise and acknowledge mindfulness.

My argument has to do with the scientists not wanting any ID taught in schools, alongside the scientific consensus.

There is empirical evidence for mindfulness re the planet our minds are involved with. Scientific Consensus would have us believe that mindfulness has nothing to do with the process?

The scientific consensus at present does not support the assertion that mindfulness, in the sense of conscious intention or purpose, is an inherent aspect of natural processes.

That is exactly why ID is resisted. It is not just the religious viewpoints which SC is resisting, but anything which they consider unworthy of examining.

Perceived lack of empirical evidence and testability” = "Interpreting the evidence in a particular way which ignores mindfulness and its most obvious function re Planet Earth."

The fact that the scientific method primarily focuses on empirical observations, testable hypotheses, and naturalistic explanations to understand and explain natural phenomena indicates that we can acknowledge that the mind is so much of a mystery and cannot easily be examined with physical device since it is immaterial, that scientists have a reason to ignore it or any argument which says that the same evidence interpreted as evidence of mindfulness, falls "outside" of "consensus".
What are the characteristics of being naturally mindful? And why these particular characteristics rather than some others? Moreover, why would this intelligent agent necessarily evolve trough universal evolution? Or wouldn't it?
Indeed. A Galaxy Mind would have a different characteristic than a Star Mind which would have a different characteristic to a Gas- Giant Planet Mind which would have a different characteristic to a Biological Planet Mind.
This is not to say that the minds are therefore separate re function and purpose. Rather, they act in a co-creative manner, as is evidence in the empirical evidence.

If the opinion/argument is that ID should not be treated as Empirical Science then, all things of the mind should likewise not be treated as such.

The study of the brain is limited as a means of understanding what Mind is. To example, The Earth appears to be mindful, and even creates brains in bodies. However, there is no known brain identified that the planet has, thus the notion of the planet being mindful is considered unscientific because “no brain" = "mindlessness”.
So, where would one find this evolving intelligence and consciousness in the universe? I assume that in saying the universe evolves you mean it simply keeps changing from its present state to what, the Big Crunch or the Big Chill?
Perhaps you are reflecting the SC in having to ask where something can be found in this universe, as if somehow Earth is not a great contender?
Your question seems redundant as the answer in in front of our very noses.

It is an empirical fact that Earth exists and mindfulness is able to be acknowledged, if not in the planet as a whole, then certainly at least in the parts, and therein significant evidence that “if the parts – then probable the whole” for the parts are indicative of this being the case.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #10

Post by The Barbarian »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:58 pm [Replying to Miles in post #1]

I am not going to go through all these videos and defend them but I will say a few things about Behe.
1st. What this Dave guy "lies about" or let's say fails to mention is that the death rate in these citric-eating bacteria has now reached over 50%
I would certainly hope so. If not, our world would be shortly covered by meters of citric acid-eating bacteria.
2nd. This novel mutation Dave is putting forward did generate or add genetic information to the bacteria but it subtracted information from the bacteria. It is this subtraction of information that has made these citric-eating bacteria so fragile.
You were really, really misled about that...
After testing 10 trillion ancestral cells from early generations, he got no growth. But when he tested cells from the 20,000th generation on, he began to get results, eventually finding 19 mutants that could use citrate as a power source. The results showed that the citrate-eating mutation was most likely not the result of a single mutation, but one enabled by multiple changes over 20,000 generations.
3rd. Creationists have never had any problem with organisms losing information but adding information that makes the organism even more durable is not what we see in Lenski's experiment

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/ ... real-time/

That's a large increase in information. Every single mutation in a gene increases information in the population. Would you like to see a simple example, with the numbers?
Creationists have never had any problem with organisms losing information but adding information that makes the organism even more durable is not what we see in Lenski's experiment
Like evolution, information is not about individuals, but about populations. And evolution doesn't necessarily make an organism more durable. We are far more fragile than chimpanzees or the common ancestor of humans and chimps.

Evolution doesn't have to even make an population more fit. It can make it less fit. We just don't see those, because they tend to go extinct. Creationists think of evolution as making winners, when in fact, you mostly only see the winners while the losers are no more.