The Atonement

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

The Atonement

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

To all true Christians there is nothing more important to our salvation than "The Atonement of Jesus Christ".

Having said that, is it not therefore extremely important to every individual to understand fully what and how the atonement works for our benefit?

What does the atonement do or does not do?

What is required on our part to receive the full benefits of the atonement?

What and when and by whom did the atonement begin?

Can anyone clearly show all scriptures pertaining to the atonement?

I look forward to hearing your "take" on this most important topic.

Kind regards,
RW

Brightfame52
Sage

Re: The Atonement

Post #721

Post by Brightfame52 »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:57 pm
Brightfame52 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:51 am [Replying to myth-one.com in post #718]

Huh ? I know you have the slightest idea of whats being said.
Here's what I think you're saying:

You're claiming that Jesus did not have to die, but He did so that all who believe in Him can gain salvation?

In other words, He paid the wages for our sins?

Is that correct??
No, you way off, its a mystery to me how you even came up with that, so I see no sense in discussing anything with you when it appears you dont have a clue on what Im saying.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #722

Post by myth-one.com »

Brightfame52 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:11 am
myth-one.com wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:57 pm
Brightfame52 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:51 am [Replying to myth-one.com in post #718]

Huh ? I know you have the slightest idea of whats being said.
Here's what I think you're saying:

You're claiming that Jesus did not have to die, but He did so that all who believe in Him can gain salvation?

In other words, He paid the wages for our sins?

Is that correct??
No, you way off, its a mystery to me how you even came up with that, so I see no sense in discussing anything with you when it appears you dont have a clue on what Im saying.

You are constantly posting about "what Christ's death or offering accomplished for those Christ died for"!

But I'm way off in thinking you are referring about salvation or that Christ paid the wages for our sins.

Is that correct?

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #723

Post by Brightfame52 »

mythone
You are constantly posting about "what Christ's death or offering accomplished for those Christ died for"!
Correct
But I'm way off in thinking you are referring about salvation or that Christ paid the wages for our sins.
Yes if we are saved, He didnt die for the sins of people who arent perfected forever, obviously.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #724

Post by Brightfame52 »

He purged away our sins and sat down !

Heb 1:3

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

See Ps 65:3; 79:9

All for whom Christ died, they have no sins for God to charge against them, yes even before they believe, because all their sins were laid to the charge of Christ, and He bore them on His Cross 1 Pet 2:24, and having done so, He purged them away from before God's Law and Justice Heb 1:3.

Now for this to have been the case, they through His Offering, have no sins recorded against them against God's Law charged against them Col 2:14

14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

For sin is the transgression of the law, and the strength of sin [its right to be called sin] is the Law 1 Cor 15:56, so hence by the purging of our sins [if He died for us], we have been totally exonerated before God, as if we never sinned, and yes this is the case before we become believers, and is the reason we become believers ! Because the Just shall live by Faith ! And all for whom Christ died are declared Just , for there are no sins charged against them before God's Law and Justice, they have been taken out the Way ! 11

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #725

Post by myth-one.com »

Brightfame52 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:17 am mythone
Correct
Yes if we are saved, He didnt die for the sins of people who arent perfected forever, obviously.

Following judgment, those whose names are not written in the Book of Life will be cast into the lake of fire and brimstone and quickly suffer their second death.

The names written into the Book of Life are those who believeth in Jesus Christ as their Saviour.

The names of non-believers in Jesus do not have their names written in the Book of Life. They must pay the wages for their own sins -- as they have no Savior.

The wages for their sins is their second death in the lake of fire.

Every human is appointed to die their first death:

And it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: (Hebrews 9:27)

Therefore, the second death required of non-believers in Revelation is the true wages of mankind's sin:

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:15)

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. (Revelation 21:8)

Jesus' death was His first appointed death which applies to all mankind. Our appointed death is not the wages for our sin! The avoidable second death is the wages for our sins.

Jesus can become our Saviour by giving His inheritance of everlasting which He earned by living a sinless human life under the Old Testament to those who believe in Him as their Savior. And that is what He does!

After gaining everlasting life, death no longer applies to us.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #726

Post by Brightfame52 »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #725]

Foreign to me. I told you what I believe and with scripture.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #727

Post by myth-one.com »

Brightfame52 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:42 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #725]

Foreign to me. I told you what I believe and with scripture.

You believe that Jesus died to pay the wages for our sins.

The wages for our sins is death.

Our "first death" is appointed to all mankind.

But we will all be resurrected from our first death.

So our first "death" is not permanent as every person will live again. Therefore, it is often spoken of in the scriptures as sleep, slumber, or rest.

Nonbelievers will face judgment after they are resurrected.

After their judgment, those whose names are not written in the Book of Life are cast into the lake of fire and suffer their second and everlasting death.

So the true wages of sin is the second death! That punishment IS everlasting! Humans cast into the lake of fire will never live again.

To suffer the wages of sin for mankind Jesus Christ would have to be cast into the lake of fire and suffer His second death.

Did He do so?

If not, then He did not pay the wages for our sins.

And the Bible states that sin is no longer even a factor in our salvation:

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. (Romans 6:14)

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #728

Post by Brightfame52 »

Secured Peace with God !

Rom 5:1

Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

This scripture by moving a comma will read:

Therefore being justified, by faith we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

In other words the Peace we have with God by Christ's Death is revealed to Faith !

Jesus made Peace with God for those He died for, this Peace we have nothing to do with in having it, for it was secured for us by Christ's Death / Blood Col 1:20

20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

This Peace with God was made for those Christ died for through His Blood, and this while we ourselves were being enemies Rom 5:10. This legal Peace of Col 1:20 is the same as the legal reconciliation of Rom 5:10, for Reconciliation was the result of peace being accomplished by the Cross.

This Peace and Reconciliation by the Blood of Christ is not contingent on any act or behavior of men, but is solely an accomplished and established fact, that should be preached as such, hence Paul calls it the Gospel or Good News of Peace Eph 6:15

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

For it rightly cannot be a Gospel of Peace, if its only a possibility of peace with God.

He Preached Peace unto you Eph 2:17

17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

Its not that peace is made available or has been offered you, those are words of false preachers and witnesses, however to all for whom Peace with God through Jesus Christ [His Blood] was accomplished for, God sees to it that Peace is preached unto them Rom 10:15

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Now this Peace / Reconciliation is one of the many accomplishments of the Cross Work of Jesus Christ for His Church, God's Elect World !

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #729

Post by Brightfame52 »

Shall be made Alive !

1 Cor 15:22

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

All for whom Christ died, was buried and rose again the third day in behalf of Shall be made Alive, That is receive resurrection life as Per 1 Pet 1:3

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead

They shall be made alive by the New Birth and or quickening 1 Cor 15:45

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Thats why Jesus spake thusly Jn 12:24,32

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit or Life !

Jn 6:37

37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

They come to Him because they have been given life.

Jesus said on another occasion this Jn 6:53

Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Eating His flesh and drinking His Blood are activities of coming to Him, but if one doesn't come is evidence of no life in them, the flip said is if they do come its an evidence of Life in them ! That they have been made Alive by Christ !

32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth[His Death], will draw[by giving life] all men unto me.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #730

Post by Brightfame52 »

Prevents them from perishing !

All those Christ died for, in the place of or in behalf of, and for their benefit, His Death kept them from perishing for their own sins ! This is clearly seen in what the High Priest uttered here by the inspiration of God Jn 11:50-51

Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.

And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

Its clearly indicated in Vs 50 that the outcome and purpose of the one man dying for that nation prevents the one's of that nation from perishing !

The word perish in Vs 50 is the greek word apollumi: to destroy, destroy utterly

Its the same word used in Jn 3:16

should not perish, but have

Also the word expedient in Vs 50 is the greek word sumphero: I collect, am profitable to

I bring together, collect; I am profitable to.

properly, combine in a way that brings a profit (gain), especially by a "concurrence of circumstances" that results in benefit or advancement (M. Vincent).

This means that Christ's Death would bring together, collect all into one the Children of God or the Sheep of God as is stated in Vs 52

52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.

That was the benefit of His Death , the profit of His Death, it was conducive in preventing all the Children of God or Sheep of God from Perishing in their sins !

If this passage is understood spiritually it shows that Christ's Death in and of itself saves from perishing those He died in behalf of !11