The Delay of the End

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

The Delay of the End

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

Hello all. Even though I am skeptical, at the same time, I am saddened and distressed by the many horrific and terrible things that we see go on around us in the world. Therefore, as a skeptic, I still do think about things such as the last days the end times. Therefore, as far as how things just keep going on and on and on, I understand that some Christians apply Habakkuk 2:3 to the situation. So, I would like to know from any type of theist, if they think that Habakkuk 2:3 is being used properly to understand this delayed situation? And the reason why I ask is because that verse seems to be able to justify any type of delay, postponement, or unfulfillment of any type of end time expectation.
New International Version
For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.
https://biblehub.com/habakkuk/2-3.htm

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: The Delay of the End

Post #61

Post by myth-one.com »

Skeptical wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:19 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:13 pm
Skeptical wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:03 pm Interesting stuff, 3CPO, but why not save it for another topic? Also, I would like to know whether or not Adam and Eve, the people who died in Noah's flood, the people who died in Sodom and Gomorrah, Judas Iscariot, and the scribes and the Pharisee who Jesus said sinned against or blasphemed the holy spirit are going to be resurrected,. . .
Yes, every human who ever died will be resurrected.
Skeptical wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:03 pm . . . but not now.
Say when.
You can start a new thread anytime that you want to.
Thanks, buy I have no desire to start a new thread,
Skeptical wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:19 pm I just started a spin-off thread from another thread this evening.
Good for you. Enjoy.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #62

Post by Skeptical »

myth-one.com wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:06 am
Skeptical wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:03 pm Interesting stuff, 3CPO, but why not save it for another topic? Also, I would like to know whether or not Adam and Eve, the people who died in Noah's flood, the people who died in Sodom and Gomorrah, Judas Iscariot, and the scribes and the Pharisee who Jesus said sinned against or blasphemed the holy spirit are going to be resurrected,. . .
Say when.
That's too bad because it sounded like a good topic for debate.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #63

Post by myth-one.com »

Skeptical wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:56 am
myth-one.com wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:06 am
Say when.
That's too bad because it sounded like a good topic for debate.

MatijaSever

Post #64

Post by MatijaSever »

onewithhim wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:29 pm
Skeptical wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:59 pm Hello all. Even though I am skeptical, at the same time, I am saddened and distressed by the many horrific and terrible things that we see go on around us in the world. Therefore, as a skeptic, I still do think about things such as the last days the end times. Therefore, as far as how things just keep going on and on and on, I understand that some Christians apply Habakkuk 2:3 to the situation. So, I would like to know from any type of theist, if they think that Habakkuk 2:3 is being used properly to understand this delayed situation? And the reason why I ask is because that verse seems to be able to justify any type of delay, postponement, or unfulfillment of any type of end time expectation.
New International Version
For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.
https://biblehub.com/habakkuk/2-3.htm
The end might seem to linger to people who are anxiously awaiting it, but God has a set time where He will bring about the big changes and it really is not "late."

"Let this one fact not be escaping your notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." (2Peter 3:8,9)
That's a great reminder that God's timing is perfect. We may not understand why He does things when He does, but we can trust in His plan and be confident that everything will work out in the end. Thanks for sharing!

Miles
Savant

Post #65

Post by Miles »

MatijaSever wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:43 pm That's a great reminder that God's timing is perfect. We may not understand why He does things when He does, but we can trust in His plan and be confident that everything will work out in the end. Thanks for sharing!
Why? He's made mistakes before so who's to say this remark of his is not just another mistake? Nobody can, because once one has become a mistake-maker there's always the possibility that there'll be another mistake right around the corner, and maybe this is one of those times.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #66

Post by myth-one.com »

Miles wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:22 am
MatijaSever wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:43 pm That's a great reminder that God's timing is perfect. We may not understand why He does things when He does, but we can trust in His plan and be confident that everything will work out in the end. Thanks for sharing!
Why? He's made mistakes before so who's to say this remark of his is not just another mistake? Nobody can, because once one has become a mistake-maker there's always the possibility that there'll be another mistake right around the corner, and maybe this is one of those times.

When did God make a mistake?

Miles
Savant

Post #67

Post by Miles »

myth-one.com wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:25 pm
Miles wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:22 am

When did God make a mistake?
TO NOTE:
When one repents, regrets, grieves, is remorseful or sorry for what they did, that act (doing) would have been a mistake: Something they should not have done.

Genesis 6:6

ICB
The Lord was sorry he had made human beings on the earth. His heart was filled with pain.

KJV
And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

ESV
And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.

1 Samuel 15:35

CEV
Even though Samuel felt sad about Saul, Samuel never saw him again. The Lord was sorry he had made Saul the king of Israel.

KJ21
And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death. Nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul; and the Lord repented that He had made Saul king over Israel.

CEB
Samuel never saw Saul again before he died, but he grieved over Saul. However, the Lord regretted making Saul king over Israel.

Jeremiah 42:10

GNV
If ye will dwell in this land, then I will build you, and not destroy you, and I will plant you, and not root you out: for I repent me of the evil that I have done unto you.

ISV
‘If you will just remain in this land, I’ll build you up and not pull you down. I’ll plant you and not uproot you, for I’m sorry about the disaster I’ve brought on you.

NCB
“ ‘If you resolve to remain in this land, I will build you up and not tear you down; I will plant you and not uproot you. For I deeply regret the disaster that I have inflicted upon you.

Amos 7:1-3

KJ21
The Lord God showed me this: He was forming a swarm of locusts at the time the spring crop first began to sprout—after the cutting of the king’s hay.
2And it came to pass, when they had made an end of eating the grass of the land, then I said, “O Lord God, forgive, I beseech Thee! By whom shall Jacob arise? For he is small.”
3The Lord repented concerning this. “It shall not be,” saith the Lord.

CEV
1The Lord God showed me that he is going to send locusts[a] to attack your crops. It will happen after the king has already been given his share of the grain and before the rest of the grain has been harvested. 2 In my vision the locusts ate every crop in the land, and I said to the Lord, “Please forgive your nation. It's so weak. How can it survive?”
3 Then the Lord felt sorry and answered, “I won't let it be destroyed.”

GNV
1 Thus hath the Lord God showed unto me, and behold, he formed [a]grasshoppers in the beginning of the shooting up of the latter growth: and lo, it was in the latter growth after the King’s mowing.
2 And when they had made an end of eating the grass of the land, then I said, O Lord God, spare, I beseech thee: who shall raise up Jacob? for he is small.
3 So the Lord repented for this. It shall not be, saith the Lord.

Amos 7:6

KJ21
The Lord repented concerning this. “This also shall not be,” saith the Lord God.

JUB
The LORD repented of this: This also shall not be, said the Lord GOD.

ICB
So the Lord felt sorry about this. “This will not happen either,” said the Lord God.

Exodus 32:14

JUB
Then the LORD repented of the evil which he said should be done unto his people.

ERV
So the Lord felt sorry for the people. He did not do what he said he might do—he did not destroy them.

YLT
and Jehovah repenteth of the evil which He hath spoken of doing to His people.

Jonah 3:10

GNV
And God saw their works that they turned from their evil ways: and God repented of the evil that he had said that he would do unto them, and he did it not.

JUB
And God saw their works, because they turned from their evil way, and he repented of the evil that he had said that he would do unto them, and he did not do it.

RSV
When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God repented of the evil which he had said he would do to them; and he did not do it.

Jeremiah 15:6

LEB
You have forsaken me,” declares Yahweh. “You go backward, so I have stretched my hand against you, and I have destroyed you. I am tired of becoming remorseful.

KJ21
Thou hast forsaken Me,” saith the Lord, “thou art gone backward; therefore will I stretch out My hand against thee and destroy thee; I am weary with repenting.

JUB
Thou hast forsaken me, saith the LORD; thou art gone backward: therefore, I stretched out my hand over thee and cast thee away; I am tired of repenting.

2 Samuel 24:16

ERV
The angel raised his arm over Jerusalem and was ready to destroy it, but the Lord felt very sorry about the bad things that had happened. He said to the angel who destroyed the people,

KJV
And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the Lord repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the Lord was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.

LEB
When the angel stretched out his hand to destroy Jerusalem, Yahweh regretted about the evil, and he said to the angel who brought destruction among the people, “Enough, now relax your hand.” Now the angel of Yahweh was at the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.

1 Chronicles 21:15

CEV
Then he sent an angel to destroy the city of Jerusalem. But just as the angel was about to do that, the Lord felt sorry for all the suffering he had caused the people, and he told the angel, “Stop! They have suffered enough.” This happened at the threshing place that belonged to Araunah the Jebusite.

NCB
God also sent an angel to Jerusalem to destroy it. As he was destroying it, the Lord regretted the disaster, and he said to the destroying angel, “Enough! Hold back your hand!” So the angel of the Lord stood by the threshing floor of Ornan, the Jebusite.

TLV
And God sent an angel to Jerusalem to destroy it, but while he was doing so, Adonai saw and was grieved over the calamity. He said to the destroying angel, “Enough! Now withdraw your hand!” The angel of Adonai was then standing by the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.

Psalm 106:45

KJ21
and He remembered for them His covenant, and repented according to the multitude of His mercies.

ICB
He remembered his agreement with them. And he felt sorry for them because of his great love.

JUB
and remember his covenant with them and repent according to the multitude of his mercies.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #68

Post by myth-one.com »

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:28 am
myth-one.com wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:25 pm When did God make a mistake?
TO NOTE:
When one repents, regrets, grieves, is remorseful or sorry for what they did, that act (doing) would have been a mistake: Something they should not have done.
If something is made the best most perfect way to fulfill a specified project or goal, then it cannot be called a mistake if it stumbles due to the fault of others along the way.

Mankind is a good example. We were created to eventually replace the angels who left their first estate (the earth).

Man is presently here to learn that the best way to do things is God's way. We learn that by trying our way and failing. God may get remorseful and sorrowful at our frequent failings along the way, but the final product will be angels who are less likely to revolt.

One of the world's wisest men after a lifetime of seeking treasure, women, and whatever appeared to bring him pleasure; reached this final conclusion of the whole matter of life:

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. (Ecclesiastes 12:13)

Miles
Savant

Post #69

Post by Miles »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:44 am
TO NOTE:
If something is made the best most perfect way to fulfill a specified project or goal, then it cannot be called a mistake if it stumbles due to the fault of others along the way.
That's one gigantic If, because, as it stands, this isn't the case at all. For instance, god's intention to create perfect humans failed to fulfill such a goal, an outcome that made him sorry, repentant, and regretful for trying. "The Lord was sorry he had made human beings on the earth. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth. And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth." Creating A&E was a mistake. Wanting humans to populate Earth, god should have done something different. Maybe putting Satan in solitary confinement for all eternity (being omnipotent god could have done this), or perhaps endowing A&E with better awareness insight, intellect, intuition, judgment, shrewdness, vision, wisdom, acumen, perception, quickness, and understanding. OR, maybe god would have been better off not having created A&E at all. As god would likely put it, "creating A&E was one of my all-time blunders. It made me sorry, repentant, and regretful for even trying." A blunder being a mistake.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #70

Post by myth-one.com »

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:59 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:44 am
TO NOTE:
That's one gigantic If, because, as it stands, this isn't the case at all. For instance, god's intention to create perfect humans failed to fulfill such a goal, an outcome that made him sorry, repentant, and regretful for trying. "The Lord was sorry he had made human beings on the earth. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth. And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth." Creating A&E was a mistake. Wanting humans to populate Earth, god should have done something different. Maybe putting Satan in solitary confinement for all eternity (being omnipotent god could have done this), or perhaps endowing A&E with better awareness insight, intellect, intuition, judgment, shrewdness, vision, wisdom, acumen, perception, quickness, and understanding. OR, maybe god would have been better off not having created A&E at all. As god would likely put it, "creating A&E was one of my all-time blunders. It made me sorry, repentant, and regretful for even trying." A blunder being a mistake.

Actually, God admitted that every thing He made was "very good," not perfect:

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. (Genesis 1:31)