Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

TRANSPONDER
Savant

top ten dumb things atheists say.

Post #1

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Ok.Letme have a bash.
1 'Christians are stupid'. I have to say I don't hear them say this but Christians have complained that they do.I Think that what they mean is that the atheist debunks of theor best apologetics make them sound stupid. The Christians need better apologetics.
2 "Miracles don't happen". This is not actually dumb, but sounds it. It is probably not denying that miracles may be possible no more than saying 'There is no God' means a total denial of any such possibility. It is saying that the burden of proof falls on the claim of a miracle to prodice the evidence. Which brings me to the next one
3 The Bible is not evidence. True, one cannot quote the Bible to prove the Bible...but again, it may contain internal evidence that supports it, but only because outside evidence supports that.
4 "Nazareth never existed". This is not really dumb, but sounds too much like a known thing like Tyre definitely was not forever destroyed.The limited archeology sugests that there was not even a decent -sized town in the 1st c AD, but more work and study is needed before we can deny Nazreth with real confidence.

I'm struggling. O:) The Jibes 'atheists denied the Hittities', "Christians are afraid of Hell", ..I got nothin' more...are back engineered arguments that are wished on atheists. A search of the Hittite claim led to nothing but some atheist professor debating the status of a Neo - Hittite prince. True the Bible does mention the Hittites but they were just thought to be a Canaanite tribe as they were, after the bronze age collapse. Nobody knew of the Hittite Empire which led SOME few Christians to accuse atheists of denying the Hittites existed. The afraid of Hell thing came about from looking at the text for Dream of Gerontius, a wretched poem set to glorious music by Elgar. The spirit of the believer zooms through an asteroid belt of demons on the way to God's blasting presence (Elgar had the entire orchestra play one chord together as loud as possible) and the Demons chant about people who believe though fear., not through love. That was a craftiness worthy of CS Lewis. Since it is a Real Question whether it really is love or fear. But instead of addressing it, Newman puts the point into the mouths of the demons and disposes of the problem by - literally - demonizing it. So some of these atheist jibes are more doubts that occur to Christians and so by having atheists say them (often in a strawman version) they can ignore them.
Last edited by TRANSPONDER on Mon May 29, 2023 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miles
Savant

Re: top ten dumb things atheists say.

Post #11

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:35 am
Miles wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:34 pm ...So, not knowing whether unicorns exist or not would you say they did, as in A, or go along with B and withhold judgement? Atheists look at god the same way, which is why they lack belief in his existence and take position B. We find it the reasonable thing to do because believing in something without adequate evidence is kind of foolish, don't you think?
To me it seems atheists says essentially "God doesn't exist".
A few do, but most do not. Most simply lack a belief in god.

I don't think it is reasonable, if person can't give a good reason for that.
If you're talking about someone asserting "No god exists" then I agree. It's a positive statement that bears a burden of proof. Just as asserting "god exists" bears a burden of proof.

Not having enough evidence or proof is in my opinion not good reason to decide anything.
How about deciding that there's not enough reasonable evidence?

This is why I would say about unicorns, I don't know, I have not enough information to decide.
And isn't this what most atheists do when they say "I lack belief in the existence of god because essentially, there's not enough information to decide"?

Savant

Post #12

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:49 pm
Not having enough evidence or proof is in my opinion not good reason to decide anything.
How about deciding that there's not enough reasonable evidence?
I think that also is not a good reason.
Miles wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:49 pm And isn't this what most atheists do when they say "I lack belief in the existence of god because essentially, there's not enough information to decide"?
I don't think it is the same.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Purple Knight »

1213 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:21 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:44 am ....atheist smugness, superiority and condescending attitude....
I think your question is a trick question. If I would answer anything else to this, you would call me smug, superiotist and condescending. :D
Maybe Transponder would but I wouldn't. I think the idea that it is smug and superior to simply believe you are right, is a little silly. Everyone thinks they're right or they would change their view.

I also don't think it's fair to compare theism to, essentially, agnosticism. Agnosticism is the most reasonable position because it lacks knowledge. If you lack a belief in any god but think one could exist for all you know, you're an agnostic.

Does God exist?
Yes - Theist
I Don't Know - Agnostic
No - Atheist

I consider myself an atheist but I'm also aware I could be wrong. I don't think unicorns exist either. Or fairies. I could be wrong, but that doesn't mean I can't make any judgment that unicorns don't exist. They probably don't.

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:40 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:44 am ....atheist smugness, superiority and condescending attitude....
I think your question is a trick question. If I would answer anything else to this, you would call me smug, superiotist and condescending. :D
Maybe Transponder would but I wouldn't. I think the idea that it is smug and superior to simply believe you are right, is a little silly. Everyone thinks they're right or they would change their view.

I also don't think it's fair to compare theism to, essentially, agnosticism. Agnosticism is the most reasonable position because it lacks knowledge. If you lack a belief in any god but think one could exist for all you know, you're an agnostic.

Does God exist?
Yes - Theist
I Don't Know - Agnostic
No - Atheist

I consider myself an atheist but I'm also aware I could be wrong. I don't think unicorns exist either. Or fairies. I could be wrong, but that doesn't mean I can't make any judgment that unicorns don't exist. They probably don't.
I think you have a good point. And I can show you, unicorns exist:

https://acruisingcouple.com/wp-content/ ... nicorn.jpg

they have also evolved into sea creatures :D

http://www.whale-world.com/wp-content/u ... os_600.jpg

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Purple Knight »

1213 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:01 am
Purple Knight wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:40 pm

Does God exist?
Yes - Theist
I Don't Know - Agnostic
No - Atheist

I think you have a good point. And I can show you, unicorns exist:

https://acruisingcouple.com/wp-content/ ... nicorn.jpg

they have also evolved into sea creatures :D

http://www.whale-world.com/wp-content/u ... os_600.jpg
Both of these taxa are reasonably closely related to horses, as well. Whales less so but they do have ties to even-toed ungulates (cows and sheep and things).