HOW DO THE DEAD BURY THE DEAD?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

HOW DO THE DEAD BURY THE DEAD?

Post #1

Post by Eddie Ramos »

The majority of people have been taught to take the Bible at face value, yet when they come across difficult to understand passages, they make up the rules of Bible study as they go. All the while ignoring that Jesus (The Word of God) did not speak without parables (Mt 13:34). Well, a passage that challenges the literal doctrinal approach is Matthew 8:22.

Matthew 8:21–22 (KJV 1900)
And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. 22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

How does someone who is dead bury someone who is dead? Well, when we understand that the Bible is a parable and that God speaks of two types of dead people (the physically dead and the spiritually dead), then we can understand two important things with this passage. One, is that God makes a distinction between the two types of dead people, those who are dead spiritually (meaning they have a dead soul) and those who are dead physically.

The second, is that God doesn't always spell things out for us in the immediate verse, but requires us us to search and compare scripture with scripture in order to put the pieces of the puzzle together in order to see the whole picture. But my question for those who only see the Bible as a literal textbook, how do the dead bury the dead?