A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

This question is primarily asked to JWs, but anyone with a Bible-based view may participate in this discussion. But my two-fold question is: According to Matthew 24:14:
14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations,+ and then the end will come.
a) What exactly was the good news of the Kingdom that was preached in the first century CE?
b) Since Jesus was referring to all the inhabited earth during the first century, what "end" was he referring to?

And the reason why I ask these questions is because I understand that JWs have a different interpretation of what the gospel or good news is compared to other Christians. Also, since the inhabited earth during the first century went beyond the Roman province of Judea and the city of Jerusalem, what concern would "the end" be for Christians living in other regions of the inhabited earth? (Colossians 1:23)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Post #31

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Skeptical wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:32 am JW, you must not have read my post #16...

No, I read your post #16. You pointed out the same thing, namely that the then known world back then covered Asia, Europe, and Africa!... my response was as follows:

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:52 pm
Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:20 pm
Yeah, but the known world went beyond Jerusalem and the Roman province of Judea.
Yes... So? Do you think you could see your way to writing in a sentence or two ( in your own words) what your point is?

I repeat: I simply don't understand what your point is, which is why I asked you to explain in a few sentences what your are trying to say.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #32

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:51 am
Skeptical wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:32 am JW, you must not have read my post #16...

No, I read your post #16. You pointed out the same thing, namely that the then known world back then covered Asia, Europe, and Africa!... my response was as follows:

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:52 pm
Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:20 pm
Yeah, but the known world went beyond Jerusalem and the Roman province of Judea.
Yes... So? Do you think you could see your way to writing in a sentence or two ( in your own words) what your point is?

I repeat: I simply don't understand what your point is, which is why I asked you to explain in a few sentences what your are trying to say.
Well, I would say that either:
1) You are employing JW spiritual warfare if they still do that and if you even know what that means.
2) You are not as smart as I am assuming that you are. Or...
3) You're very young and need someone to spoon feed you what I am otherwise clearly saying. 😕

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #33

Skeptical wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:10 am
1) You are employing JW spiritual warfare if they still do that and if you even know what that means.
3) You're very young and need someone to spoon feed you what I am otherwise clearly saying.

Well I prefer to debate the posts rather than the poster. If you ever choose to actually make your point in a way I can understand I will of course consider responding. In the meantime I wish you a most excellent and sunfilled weekend,

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #34

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:25 am
Skeptical wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:10 am
3) You're very young and need someone to spoon feed you what I am otherwise clearly saying.

Well I prefer to debate the posts rather than the poster. If you ever choose to actually make your point in a way I can understand I will of course consider responding. In the meantime I wish you a most excellent and sunfilled weekend,

JW
Well, let me see if I can break things down easier for you by asking you: Why would first century Christians who were living in in Asia and Africa be concerned about the catastrophic events that would occur in Jerusalem foretold by Jesus in Matthew 24:14? Or in other words, if you knew of a prophecy about something terrible that would happen in the city of Los Angeles, then if you lived in the city of New York, why would you be concerned about that? 😶

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #35

Skeptical wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:41 am Why would first century Christians who were living in in Asia and Africa be concerned about the catastrophic events that would occur in Jerusalem foretold by Jesus in Matthew 24:14?
Matthew 24:14 does not speak about events in Jerusalem. The verses that concern Jerusalem and the end if the temple based system of worship there are Luke 21:20 -24

Would 1st century Christians in far away regions have been concerned about the plight of Jerusalem as described in Luke 21:20 -24?

Christians living outside the region would , (we can presume), have been concerned for the plight of their brethren, but they would not have been directly effected by the fulfillment of the features of Jesus prophecy that applied to the destruction lf Jerusalem.

I think its fair to say hearing that Jesus had predicted such a catastrophic event more than 30 years before it happened and that his predictions came true, would be faith strengthening for Christians wherever they lived, even though those outside of Judea would not have had to follow the specific instructions he gave .

JW

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #36

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:05 am
Skeptical wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:41 am Why would first century Christians who were living in in Asia and Africa be concerned about the catastrophic events that would occur in Jerusalem foretold by Jesus in Matthew 24:14?
Matthew 24:14 does not speak about events in Jerusalem. The verses that concern Jerusalem and the end if the temple based system of worship there are Luke 21:20 -24

Would 1st century Christians in far away regions have been concerned about the plight of Jerusalem as described in Luke 21:20 -24?

Christians living outside the region would , (we can presume), have been concerned for the plight of their brethren, but they would not have been directly effected by the fulfillment of the features of Jesus prophecy that applied to the destruction lf Jerusalem.

I think its fair to say hearing that Jesus had predicted such a catastrophic event more than 30 years before it happened and that his predictions came true, would be faith strengthening for Christians wherever they lived, even though those outside of Judea would not have had to follow the specific instructions he gave .

JW
Thank you for that clarification with Luke 21:20-24. Also, I used Matthew 24:14 because I was guessing that it is the more popular chapter of the synoptic gospels that Christians use to demonstrate last days prophecy. However, at the end of verse 14, there's a phrase, which is primarily the same in most of the translations that I've seen, and they are the words, "and then the end will come." Therefore, the point that I have been trying to make with this thread is: Is it true that for Christians who lived outside of Judea, the meaning of the end coming was supposed to have been referring to some sort of remote time period that was far away from their current time period? (Because my contention is that non-Judean Christians in the first century had the belief that the end would come during their lifetime.)

P.S.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:05 am I think its fair to say hearing that Jesus had predicted such a catastrophic event more than 30 years before it happened and that his predictions came true, would be faith strengthening for Christians wherever they lived, even though those outside of Judea would not have had to follow the specific instructions he gave .

JW
Well, I've heard the argument that a lot of Bible prophecies were written after the fact, however, I have not studied that idea enough for me to give any further explanation on it.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #37

Skeptical wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:04 pm ...at the end of verse 14, there's a phrase... "and then the end will come." ... Is it true that for Christians who lived outside of Judea the meaning of the end coming was supposed to have been referring to some sort of remote time period that was far away from their current time period?

Yes and not just for the non-Judean Christians, "the end" refered to in Matthew 24:14 referred to the end not just of the Jewish temple but of the world system.
The initial question the disciples asked in Matthew 24 verse 3 was threefold, covering [ 1 ]the destruction of the temple, [ 2 ] the parousia - Christ's presence [ 3 ] the end of the entire world system. Jesus interwined features that would help his disciples identify all three events. So, some of the features dealt with [ 1 ], some dealt with [ 2 ] and others dealt with [ 3 ].
Matthew 24:14 = [ 3 ]
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

GENTILE TIMES , LAST DAYS and ...THE SECOND COMING *
*The Return of Christ

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #38

DID SOME OF THE FIRST CENTURY CHRISTIANS BELIEVE THE END WOULD COME DURING THEIR LIFETIME?

There is good reason to believe that at least some did expect the end of the world system would come in their lifetime. Indeed we have the recorded remarks of the disciples of Christ in ACTS 1 :6 where they asked (not for the first time) Jesus " “Lord, are you restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time?” (Luke 19:11). Paul had to correct misinformation that the resurrection of the Anointed Christians had already taken place. So false expectations as regards timing seems to have been a perennial problem in the first century.

JW

For more on this topic please go to other posts related to...

LAST DAYS and ...THE SECOND COMING *and ... "DELAYS "DEBUNKED,
*The Return of Christ

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #39

Post by Bust Nak »

Skeptical wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:10 am 2) You are not as smart as I am assuming that you are. Or...
3) You're very young and need someone to spoon feed you what I am otherwise clearly saying. 😕
Moderator Comment

Comments about any person that are negative, condescending, frivolous or indicate in any way a lack of respect are not allowed.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #40

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:05 am

JW
I am interested in the event and I live thousands of miles from Jerusalem and it was 2000 years ago. I even did research on the Arch of Titus. Very faith strengthening.