IF WE SIN UNKNOWINGLY, ARE WE GUILTY OF SIN?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #1

Post by Eddie Ramos »

The premise of this OP is fairly straightforward as per the title. If we sin without being aware that we have broken one of God's commandments, does God still consider that a sin, and therefore are we guilty of that sin? The Bible says yes, what say you?

Leviticus 4:27–28 (KJV 1900)
And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth somewhat against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and be guilty; 28 Or if his sin, which he hath sinned, come to his knowledge: then he shall bring his offering, a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for his sin which he hath sinned.

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: IF WE SIN UNKNOWINGLY, ARE WE GUILTY OF SIN?

Post #11

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:46 pm We unknowingly sin every day. That is the tendency to sin that we inherited from Adam. Those sins are covered by Christ's blood if we are repentant and ask forgiveness, and we do this every day. incur death[/b]. (Willful sinning.)...All unrighteousness is sin; yet there is a sin that does not incur death." (I John 5:16,17)

And:

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:21 am A sin is a sin; so whether we know it or not, one is indeed guilty of the sins we commit.

Under the New Testament Covenant, is it important to be forgiven for our sins?

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:30 pm
onewithhim wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:46 pm We unknowingly sin every day. That is the tendency to sin that we inherited from Adam. Those sins are covered by Christ's blood if we are repentant and ask forgiveness, and we do this every day. incur death[/b]. (Willful sinning.)...All unrighteousness is sin; yet there is a sin that does not incur death." (I John 5:16,17)

And:

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:21 am A sin is a sin; so whether we know it or not, one is indeed guilty of the sins we commit.

So some Bibles say. Other bibles say.

“This cup is the new testament in My blood, which is shed for you" (KJ21)

“This wine represents the new agreement from God to his people. (ERV)

“This cup that is poured out for you is the new promise  made with my blood.” (GW)

“This cup is My blood of the New Way of Worship which is given for you." (NLV)

And just because the covenant, testament, agreement, promise, or whatever is new, doesn't mean it necessarily replaces all, or even any, of the old one. It could well be an addition to the old. Could it not? Sure it could. :D

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #13

Post by myth-one.com »

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:23 pm

And:

“This cup that is poured out for you is the new promise  made with my blood.” (GW)

The word "sin" does not even appear in the verses which you quoted.

All one has to do is believe in Jesus as one's Savior to gain everlasting life under the New Testament Covenant:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

And once one gains everlasting life, the wages of sin (the second death) no longer apply to that person, as they are immortal and cannot die!
Miles wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:23 pmAnd just because the covenant, testament, agreement, promise, or whatever is new, doesn't mean it necessarily replaces all, or even any, of the old one. It could well be an addition to the old. Could it not? Sure it could. :mrgreen:
No, the scriptures confirm that it replaces the Old Testament, which vanishes away:

In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. (Hebrews 8:13)

The Old Testament vanished away and the New Testament became the active covenant when Jesus died on the cross:

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth (Hebrews 9:15-17)

A testator is a person who makes a will. "A testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth." Therefore, the New Testament became effective and the Old Testament vanished away as a will when Jesus Christ died on the cross.

Once the New Testament became the active will, no one could gain eternal life by remaining sinless as required under the Old Testament. This includes infants! The only path to salvation presently is through a belief in Jesus Christ under terms of the New Testament covenant. And infants do not believe in Jesus Christ:

Miles
Savant

Post #14

Post by Miles »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:35 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:23 pm

And:

The word "sin" does not even appear in the verses which you quoted.

All one has to do is believe in Jesus as one's Savior to gain everlasting life under the New Testament Covenant:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

And once one gains everlasting life, the wages of sin (the second death) no longer apply to that person, as they are immortal and cannot die!
Miles wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:23 pmAnd just because the covenant, testament, agreement, promise, or whatever is new, doesn't mean it necessarily replaces all, or even any, of the old one. It could well be an addition to the old. Could it not? Sure it could. :mrgreen:
No, the scriptures confirm that it replaces the Old Testament, which vanishes away:

In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. (Hebrews 8:13)
You're right. :approve: I'm wrong. :(

But thanks for the heads up.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #15

Post by myth-one.com »

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:08 pm I'm wrong. :(
There's no cause to be so sad about it!

:hug:

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by thomasdixon »

Yes
Yes
&
Yes
But,
If you confess your sins
Ask the Lord for forgiveness.
The Lord will forgive you

then maybe not
:)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #17

Post by onewithhim »

And:

What was your point? Are you going to comment on the post I wrote in post #9?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #18

Post by onewithhim »

thomasdixon wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:47 pm IF WE SIN UNKNOWINGLY, ARE WE GUILTY OF SIN?
Yes
Yes
&
Yes
But,
If you confess your sins
Ask the Lord for forgiveness.
The Lord will forgive you

then maybe not
:)
Did you read post #9? Can you comment on that post?