Banned
Banned

Catholic charter school

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

It's started...

Catholich charter school.

For debate:

Should organizations immune to taxes be allowed public tax dollars to advance their religion?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Catholic charter school

Post #21

Post by boatsnguitars »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:59 pm Starve the beast and complain it's useless.
This has been the GOP/Republican modus operandi for decades. Also, complain that the government is useless - run for office claiming the government is useless and you're the one to fix it - be incompetent - rinse and repeat.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

bjs1
Sage

Re: Catholic charter school

Post #22

Post by bjs1 »

historia wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:24 pm
bjs1 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:59 pm
Charter schools are not public schools.
I'm not sure what you mean by this since charter schools are definitely public schools.

The Oklahoma City Public Schools website, for example, defines charter schools as "innovative, nonsectarian public schools." And, as such, they are state actors, subject to the same first amendment constitutional restrictions as traditional public schools.

The state of Oklahoma is essentially trying to sanction a Catholic public school, which is I think clearly unconstitutional.
This seems valid. The state where I worked alongside charter schools (and I grant that this was more than 20 years ago) did not define charter schools as public schools since they were not run by the state. Since Oklahoma defines charter schools as public schools that would resolve the issue at least in that state.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin