Should misinformation be banned from the major platforms?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Should misinformation be banned from the major platforms?

Post #1

Post by Daedalus X »

For this topic misinformation is any information that promotes needle hesitancy or anti authoritarian approved information.

Here is an example of misinformation that can't be posted to YouTube, twitter, Facebook or any mainline medium. Is this good public policy?

This is a MUST WATCH.

https://www.therealanthonyfaucimovie.com/viewing/
Last edited by Daedalus X on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jose Fly
Guru

Re: Should misinformation be banned from the major platforms?

Post #301

Post by Jose Fly »

Daedalus X wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:28 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:19 pm assumes we have a complete understanding of all of the above.
We don't have to understand what any genes do. We simply need to look at the genes of a large population divided into straight and LGBTQ+, and let a computer analyze them for patterns that are common in one group but not in the other. Then we will have a good suspect. But no such pattern has been found.
No, that's not how genetics work. You're still stuck in the "one gene = one trait" mentality that was abandoned decades ago. Genetics is much, much more complicated than that, especially when it comes to human behavior.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3778125/
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #302

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #294]
Now the backlash is against trans people being allowed to live openly and freely, and make their own private medical decisions in consultation with their doctors.
From what I've seen the primary backlash as far as trans issues go relates to exposing kids to it who don't have the brain development or life experience to understand all the facets of sexuality. The same reason you won't normally take an 8 year old to see Debbie does Dallas. If an 8 year old is convinced that they can change their sex on a whim they may think it is a trivial thing, or fun, and they don't have the mental development to fully appreciate and understand the implications of a transition and all it entails for their future lives.

Once they are adults, the "backlash" falls considerably as the person is assumed to be old enough to evaluate the consequences and make their own decisions. (eg. when Bruce Jenner decided to become Caitlyn Jenner he had been an adult for 65+ years and most people just looked at it as a tabloid story). It is exposing kids to the idea that they can switch their sex willy nilly and that it is a trivial thing that causes a lot of the backlash. This is being pushed by many in the trans community (and is far beyond just being allowed to live openly and freely as adults). Allowing trans women to compete in women's sports is another area where there is backlash, for good reason. The results there speak for themselves.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #303

Post by Jose Fly »

DrNoGods wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:10 pm [Replying to Jose Fly in post #294]
Now the backlash is against trans people being allowed to live openly and freely, and make their own private medical decisions in consultation with their doctors.
From what I've seen the primary backlash as far as trans issues go relates to exposing kids to it who don't have the brain development or life experience to understand all the facets of sexuality. The same reason you won't normally take an 8 year old to see Debbie does Dallas. If an 8 year old is convinced that they can change their sex on a whim they may think it is a trivial thing, or fun, and they don't have the mental development to fully appreciate and understand the implications of a transition and all it entails for their future lives.

Once they are adults, the "backlash" falls considerably as the person is assumed to be old enough to evaluate the consequences and make their own decisions. (eg. when Bruce Jenner decided to become Caitlyn Jenner he had been an adult for 65+ years and most people just looked at it as a tabloid story). It is exposing kids to the idea that they can switch their sex willy nilly and that it is a trivial thing that causes a lot of the backlash. This is being pushed by many in the trans community (and is far beyond just being allowed to live openly and freely as adults). Allowing trans women to compete in women's sports is another area where there is backlash, for good reason. The results there speak for themselves.
First of all, being transgender is not about sex. Get that ridiculous notion out of your head right away....please.

Second, where do you get the idea that kids are being told they can change their gender "on a whim"? Did you read the Yale Medical School article I linked to earlier, where they outline all the steps involved in treatment of minors with gender dysphoria? If not, please go back and read through it. It's not very long and hopefully that'll clear up some of the misconceptions you're carrying around.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #304

Post by oldbadger »

brunumb wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:28 am Did you even watch it? How can you refute what he says without knowing what he says? If he is using verified science then his qualifications are irrelevant.
Verified by who?
Are you for real? You seem to be living in the distant past. Those goals were achieved years ago. You have been captured by the trans ideology movement.
Trans ideology? The only ideology that I'm ringing bells for is the ideology that supports freedom of choice in matters of marriage, partnerships, sexuality, gender and love.

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #305

Post by Daedalus X »

Jose Fly wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:34 pm No, that's not how genetics work. You're still stuck in the "one gene = one trait" mentality that was abandoned decades ago. Genetics is much, much more complicated than that, especially when it comes to human behavior.
Okay, we agree that no genetic link has been found with LGBTQ+ behavior.

It may be found one day, who knows. They have identified a lot of mutations that predispose people to cancer but a lot of cancer , like lung cancer, can happen from years of smoking where many mutations happen. Two people can present the same symptoms even though the mutations are very different.

I think that the rise in LGBTQ+ is not genetic. We need to study the chemical soup that we now inhabit. One likely source is atrazine.

Another difference is that before women's lib, we would celebrate the difference between men and women. When young men reached maturity the culture would present women in a very desirable way, there was a reason for the colorful ethnic costumes. Look at this video, this is how men saw women as a thing to be desired and vice versa. I think it would be nice to learn from that time.

Here is an even older culture.

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #306

Post by Daedalus X »

[Replying to Daedalus X in post #1]

The question to be answered was "Should misinformation be banned from the major platforms?"
Naturally nobody wants to promote misinformation, but if you can label truth as misinformation then you can censor inconvenient truths from the internet. The consensus was that the internet platforms had a first amendment right to regulate speech on their own platforms. So, Google (the company that knows you better than your own mother or wife) was allowed to decide what you could and could not see and say on their platforms. What could possibly go wrong with that?
Turns out that these mega large platforms became the playground for intelligence agencies. Even Ukrainian intelligence had their say on what could be published.
Here is a good update on where this social experiment wound up.

https://rumble.com/v2zfw0a-youtube-cens ... ystem.html

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #307

Post by boatsnguitars »

Daedalus X wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:21 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:29 pm And, honestly, I have no idea where you get the idea that 40% of "the young" have no genetic reason to call themselves LGBTQ+.
Is there a gene or genes found in this population that is not found in the straight population?
But the other 60% do? And, if it's not genetic (in concert with environment) - what do you suggest it is?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #308

Post by boatsnguitars »

Daedalus X wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:55 am
Jose Fly wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:34 pm No, that's not how genetics work. You're still stuck in the "one gene = one trait" mentality that was abandoned decades ago. Genetics is much, much more complicated than that, especially when it comes to human behavior.
Okay, we agree that no genetic link has been found with LGBTQ+ behavior.

It may be found one day, who knows. They have identified a lot of mutations that predispose people to cancer but a lot of cancer , like lung cancer, can happen from years of smoking where many mutations happen. Two people can present the same symptoms even though the mutations are very different.

I think that the rise in LGBTQ+ is not genetic. We need to study the chemical soup that we now inhabit. One likely source is atrazine.

Another difference is that before women's lib, we would celebrate the difference between men and women. When young men reached maturity the culture would present women in a very desirable way, there was a reason for the colorful ethnic costumes. Look at this video, this is how men saw women as a thing to be desired and vice versa. I think it would be nice to learn from that time.

Here is an even older culture.

We get it, you like the old patriarchal construct. But, things change - due to chemicals or not.

it's gets exhausting to hear people keep saying "I just want things they way they were! Why can't we refocus our attention on the needs of the White, Cis Male hegemony!? When will White Cis Males finally get a break!!?! Who will listen to the whining of White Cis Males when people keep talking about 'those' people?

It's so shallow - basing our social mores on what is desirable - as if that's the goal to life. Your view is so barbaric and rapey.
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #309

Post by boatsnguitars »

DrNoGods wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:10 pm [Replying to Jose Fly in post #294]

But why would we feel comfortable for a stranger weighing in on something they have very little knowledge of. A parent would know their child. Day after day, hundreds of hours of discussions.

But, no, here we hear of a case and immediately judge based on nothing more than a news story. It's not our place - and we have no idea if we'd come to the same conclusion if we spent the same amount of time with the child.

It's bad enough that a doctor only has limited access to the child - it's profoundly worse for people on the internet decide what is right or wrong for some parents child.

I can safely say that you, and we, have no knowledge of each case. Why would we offer an opinion? Do you really feel so confident in your ability to decide the fate of someone, you can read an article and decide the right decision for the rest of their lives? I would say you shouldn't feel that way.

I'm just glad there are children who can get the help they desire. It's just sad that strangers feel the need to make their lives horrible by the constant attacks.

They aren't the problem - the haters are the problem.
― Omar Khayyâm

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #310

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #303]
First of all, being transgender is not about sex. Get that ridiculous notion out of your head right away....please.
I never said or implied that it was, so not sure what the point of that comment was. My comment was about exposing kids to the idea that they can change their sex and become the opposite sex before their brains have developed enough, and they have had sufficient life experience to understand the whole subject. An 8 year old doesn't, whether its sex is male or female.
Second, where do you get the idea that kids are being told they can change their gender "on a whim"? Did you read the Yale Medical School article I linked to earlier, where they outline all the steps involved in treatment of minors with gender dysphoria? If not, please go back and read through it. It's not very long and hopefully that'll clear up some of the misconceptions you're carrying around.
This is all over the place today if you happen to use social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. (I don't, and never have used any of these, but it is impossible to ignore the relays from various social media platforms to mainstream news outlets of all kinds). Not everyone bases there source of information on Yale Medical School articles or science articles. Far more people these days get it from the internet, TV, the social media platforms, school gossip, etc. so what kids are exposed to there can influence their (and their parents) views on things and much of it is anything but scientifically accurate.

Sure there are legitimate oranizations who actually deal with gender dysphoria in a medical and psychological way, but if you're claiming that a very visible and vocal subset of the trans or LGBTQ ... community are not advocating the exposure of young kids to trans and LGBTQ++ lifestyles and glossing over the serious implications of surgeries and other treatments you're living in a cave.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain