How to get to heaven?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Who should be able to go to Heaven?

People that believe in Jesus as their savior.
33%
People that go to church.
No votes
People that are fairly good (loving, kind, friendly, generous, ect.)
11%
People that have never committed a crime.
No votes
Everyone.
22%
Everyone.
22%
No one.
11%

Total votes: 18

Illyricum
Apprentice

How to get to heaven?

Post #1

Post by Illyricum »

We have had a lot of debate lately about heaven and hell, and is fair that people that don't except Christ even if they were good still go to hell, and things like that. So those debates have inspired me to ask this: Assuming that there is a heaven, who should be allowed to go there, everyone? Are there any requirements? Should anyone be sent to hell?
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

adherent
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by adherent »

I was alluding to your statement that stuff in the Bible is illogical. Jesus dying for our sins is more credible than their being a God. And people can believe in a God but how come not someone loving them enough to die for them. I mean, people will believe in extraterrestrials, but not whats in the bible.
This is what i mean, if people find it too hard to believe in a religion, just go for the good-works . And thats not only one of the millions of religions either. Could try to be a wiccan, or hindu, etc. For people who don't believe in an afterlife, well, you do what you please.

You should answer your questions, I'm not an atheist. If i knew how athiests thought, i could reply.

PS
I was just making fun sorta of your "some Biblical stuff is illogical"

Just tell me if you don't understand.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by ST88 »

adherent wrote:I think praying and accepting Jesus into ones heart is pretty simple.
I don't think this is simple at all. Unless you have the capacity for this kind of belief, any amount of praying isn't going to give it to you. Belief isn't something you can just snap your fingers at and then it suddenly appears. Some people can think and act just as if things were true even though they don't have first-hand knowledge of it. For whatever reason, they can accept that the historical Jesus was actually a piece of divinity without really knowing whether or not it was true. I can't accept this kind of belief because I know all too well how easy it is to distort a historical record and create literature based on what you sincerely wish was true instead of what was actually true.
adherent wrote:And obeying the ten commandments is likewise as easy becuase many of the ten commandments are part of federal law.
Not one of the Commandments is a federal law.
1. No other gods -- not a law, we have freedom of religion.
2. No graven images -- not a law, in fact there are Federal grants for artistic projects that do just this.
3. Taking the Lord's name in vain -- not a law (except on certain broadcast radio and TV channels, and then only certain specific oaths).
4. Remeber the Sabbath -- not a law.
5. Honor thy parents -- not a law, and children can testify against their parents in a court of law.
6. Do not murder -- not a federal law, murder is a state jurisdiction.
7. Do not commit adultery -- not a law, but grounds for divorce.
8. Do not steal -- this is a federal law for state secrets, but theft is a local jurisdiction.
9. Don't lie -- this is a federal law only in court (perjury).
10. Do not covet anything of thy neighbor -- not a law, our entire capitalist system is predicated on coveting thy neighbor's stuff, including his wife.
adherent wrote:People these days, what with the new age movement and whatnot, well they just dont think of heaven or hell, its just me, me, me.
The Bible tends to promote the idea of a personal relationship with God, so it is all about me, me, me.:P
adherent wrote:The bible is pretty easily accessible, wouldn't you say so.
If by "easily accessible", you mean that it's everywhere, you are correct. But if you mean that it's easy to interpret and use for lessons about everyday life, you are mistaken. There is almost 2000 years worth of literature that wrestles with the conflicting accounts in the Bible, and one era defines It anew for itself against other eras.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re:

Post #13

Post by boatsnguitars »

adherent wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:42 pm I think that people just don't believe cuz their stubborn as anything. the idea of giving in is just too hard.
Do you mean atheism or Scientology?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re:

Post #14

Post by boatsnguitars »

adherent wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:03 pm I think praying and accepting Jesus into ones heart is pretty simple. And obeying the ten commandments is likewise as easy becuase many of the ten commandments are part of federal law. People these days, what with the new age movement and whatnot, well they just dont think of heaven or hell, its just me, me, me. The bible is pretty easily accessible, wouldn't you say so.
As a Christian, your belief is not about you, you, you. It's about God, worshiping God, praising Jesus for no reward other than knowing you praised Jesus and worshiped God. Full stop. That's it. No expectation on your part. Whether you live or die, are given anything, you - as a Christian - want nothing for yourself.

It's very admirable.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: How to get to heaven?

Post #15

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Interesting thread and what a lot of new faces. Welcome all.

As an atheist I'd say that, human justice aside, we All should get whatever the afterlife is. No favoritism, no punishment. That is merely human preferences. As to what gets one into the Christian heaven, I have done this before. They pretend it's about works, not Faith, but they know (or should) that it is about Faith, not works. Oh. sure, sinning can lose the Christian the pass - card to heaven they got when they joined, but Works is not how you get the pass in the first place.