CRT

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

CRT

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

According to Wikiledia: "Critical race theory (CRT) is a cross-disciplinary intellectual and social movement of civil-rights scholars and activists who seek to examine the intersection of race and law in the United States and to challenge mainstream American liberal approaches to racial justice."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory

In the USA, it has recently been a hot topic amongst various groups. More recently, South Dakota governor made some legal standing within her state for colleges:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gov-kristi-n ... 16757.html

For discussion:
Is CRT a legitimate means to study race and racism?
Should it be taught in public schools?
Talked about in colleges?
How does it impact your personal life (if at all)?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: CRT

Post #11

Post by boatsnguitars »

Wootah wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:50 am [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Nah it's a cash grab.
'cause it's brown skinned people? I guess if White people do 'cash grabs' it's just called 'good business' or 'Church'?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:47 am

Nah it's a cash grab.
'cause it's brown skinned people? I guess if White people do 'cash grabs' it's just called 'good business' or 'Church'?
I think the world rightly sees these as cash grabs too. They're starting to, anyway.

The world will never understand that competition is bad on an intellectual level. I do understand it, and I can explain to you exactly how and why it's so energy-wasting, but the world won't get it.

Despite this, they are starting to see the results of capitalism and they don't like them. This, they are capable of understanding.

This means it's a fair question: Is CRT a cash grab? I mean, probably. We live in a system that rewards nanometer-thin compassion atop a bottomless quagmire of greed, so it's likely that successful paradigms fit that formula.

Wootah
Savant

Post #13

Post by Wootah »

Nah it's a cash grab.
That is you projecting.

All I am saying is that it is a cash grab, a follow-the-money situation. That is basically a truism for most endeavours but worth reminding ourselves.

It is also a religious endeavour. Paying penance for the forgiveness of sins. "As soon as a coin in the coffer rings / the soul from purgatory springs."

Trust me, as a Christian and therefore a religious person I am highly trained to spot religion. You should take advantage of the resource you have access to on this website.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by boatsnguitars »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:38 pm

Nah it's a cash grab.
I think the world rightly sees these as cash grabs too. They're starting to, anyway.

The world will never understand that competition is bad on an intellectual level. I do understand it, and I can explain to you exactly how and why it's so energy-wasting, but the world won't get it.

Despite this, they are starting to see the results of capitalism and they don't like them. This, they are capable of understanding.

This means it's a fair question: Is CRT a cash grab? I mean, probably. We live in a system that rewards nanometer-thin compassion atop a bottomless quagmire of greed, so it's likely that successful paradigms fit that formula.
In a Capitalist society, everything is a Cash grab - theoretically.

The question is "Does CRT have merit?" I believe it does.

How you monetize it is separate from it's legitimacy.

After all, what isn't a cash grab?

I think this line of enquiry is an attempt to diminish the legitimate concerns that CRT raises. In essence, questioning CRT is racist.
― Omar Khayyâm

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Purple Knight »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:30 amIn a Capitalist society, everything is a Cash grab - theoretically.

That's true. The legitimate question we can distill out of, "Is it a cash grab?" is whether the profit motive destroys any legitimacy CRT might have. And it might. The profit motive destroys a lot of things.

There used to be a parody commercial of Windows Vista you'd sometimes see, that was incredibly on the nose. The Microsoft people had a large pile of cash for fighting the bad rap Vista had, and a tiny pile of cash for actually fixing Vista's problems. As the punchline of the commercial, they just dump the tiny pile into the large pile, devoting all the resources to propaganda and none to actually fixing the issues. And you can see why, can't you? If they fixed all the issues and didn't tell anyone, the effect of that would be zero. But for everyone they can convince that the issues are fixed (whether they fixed them or not) that has an immediate positive effect on business. So why wouldn't they allocate their resources like that? It simply makes the most sense.

CRT could easily become analogous to a seedy car mechanic. Why would he fix your problems? Then he loses money. I believe the tenets of CRT are true. But what I don't see is a clear plan to correct injustice. People are making money from CRT because injustice prevails. Would they put themselves out of a job? I can think of a few ways to correct injustice. But that's why I'm not in any position to implement those solutions. I'm not a seedy car mechanic who has succeeded on the free market, because I don't want to play dirty.
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:30 amI think this line of enquiry is an attempt to diminish the legitimate concerns that CRT raises. In essence, questioning CRT is racist.
If questioning something is defined as morally wrong, it becomes dogma. Some dogma might be true, but if you can't question it, any truth it has would be incidental. Think of it in terms of the Darwinism of Ideas. Why would an idea bother to be correct, if no one can question its correctness? Any correctness it has, is vestigial, and thus easily lost.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by boatsnguitars »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:57 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:30 amIn a Capitalist society, everything is a Cash grab - theoretically.

That's true. The legitimate question we can distill out of, "Is it a cash grab?" is whether the profit motive destroys any legitimacy CRT might have. And it might. The profit motive destroys a lot of things.

There used to be a parody commercial of Windows Vista you'd sometimes see, that was incredibly on the nose. The Microsoft people had a large pile of cash for fighting the bad rap Vista had, and a tiny pile of cash for actually fixing Vista's problems. As the punchline of the commercial, they just dump the tiny pile into the large pile, devoting all the resources to propaganda and none to actually fixing the issues. And you can see why, can't you? If they fixed all the issues and didn't tell anyone, the effect of that would be zero. But for everyone they can convince that the issues are fixed (whether they fixed them or not) that has an immediate positive effect on business. So why wouldn't they allocate their resources like that? It simply makes the most sense.

CRT could easily become analogous to a seedy car mechanic. Why would he fix your problems? Then he loses money. I believe the tenets of CRT are true. But what I don't see is a clear plan to correct injustice. People are making money from CRT because injustice prevails. Would they put themselves out of a job? I can think of a few ways to correct injustice. But that's why I'm not in any position to implement those solutions. I'm not a seedy car mechanic who has succeeded on the free market, because I don't want to play dirty.
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:30 amI think this line of enquiry is an attempt to diminish the legitimate concerns that CRT raises. In essence, questioning CRT is racist.
If questioning something is defined as morally wrong, it becomes dogma. Some dogma might be true, but if you can't question it, any truth it has would be incidental. Think of it in terms of the Darwinism of Ideas. Why would an idea bother to be correct, if no one can question its correctness? Any correctness it has, is vestigial, and thus easily lost.
It's not questioning "something" - it's specific. And, it's often questioned by people who don't even know what it is.
I think you are virtue signaling, like people who said, "Hey, I just think Obama should produce his Birth Certificate! I'm just asking the question!"

CRT is not about finding a pathway to reparations - as you suggest. This diminishes it. It appears you have a preconceived idea that it's about Black people trying to grab cash.

How is that not racist?
― Omar Khayyâm

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by Purple Knight »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:38 pm It's not questioning "something" - it's specific. And, it's often questioned by people who don't even know what it is.
I think you are virtue signaling, like people who said, "Hey, I just think Obama should produce his Birth Certificate! I'm just asking the question!"

CRT is not about finding a pathway to reparations - as you suggest. This diminishes it. It appears you have a preconceived idea that it's about Black people trying to grab cash.

How is that not racist?
I think the claims of CRT are true. But I don't think anyone pushing CRT wants to use it to fix problems, otherwise we would see those solutions. We know white people want to grab cash. The idea that this system makes everyone do that equally is racist?

I'm not blaming the seedy car mechanic. He's doing what he has to, to survive. I am blaming the system that feeds him more money for deceiving, creating problems, and then exploiting and milking those problems than it would give him for simply fixing them.

Having a mass redistribution of power and resources would fix the issues CRT raises. Yes, I mean kicking white families out of their houses and giving those resources to POCs. I mean reparations on the scale of assuming everything white people have is directly or indirectly due to oppression, and taking all of it away. I mean the government reorganising companies so the whites no longer hold power. I mean that a "jury of your peers" for Black people, means other Black people, and we'll see if the system can maintain so many of what must be wrongful convictions.

But I don't see anyone talking about any of that, or for that matter, about any solutions at all. That's a red flag. It's a red flag that the institution of CRT is about making money, not fixing problems.

This is not preconceived. It is reasoned. If you tell me there's a problem, and you want me to do all of these things to fix it, but you admit that none of those things will fix it, I'm rightly going to assume you're scamming me.

What it reeks of, is original sin, a dogmatic and primitive notion used to control people through perpetual guilt.

If it'll help, ask for it. People will do it. If it won't help, don't ask.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by boatsnguitars »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:26 pm ut I don't see anyone talking about any of that, or for that matter, about any solutions at all. That's a red flag. It's a red flag that the institution of CRT is about making money, not fixing problems.
Honestly, how much are you involved in the discussion - especially the academic discussion? Not the political jousting - I mean, for example, what CRT authors have you read?

And it's interesting that CRT - a theory that was started by Black people, who have traditionally had their cash grabbed by Whitey - are now accused of grabbing cash - while Whitey is using Anti-CRT to grab cash in the form of political donations.

Meanwhile, I haven't seen anything that suggests CRT is a cash grab.

This is the racism I think most White people are blind to. They think teaching slavery is a cash grab, but DeSantis using CRT to rake in millions in political donations isn't - that's just Good 'Ol (Boy) business - because he's White.

Meanwhile, there is no discussion about what CRT actually is. But it's the Black Man trying to grab cash... It's exhausting to see this over and over.
― Omar Khayyâm