Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

The Morality of Religious Education

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Resolved: Religious Education is Immoral

1. It clearly indoctrinates young people - and most religious people would agree - with bad information (since the majority of the world is not the "right" religion).
2. It indoctrinates people of poor reasoning skills to accept, as true, things that can't and can never be proven to be true.
3. It offers no demonstrable value to society.
4. Religion is a personal belief system, thus it is antithetical to teach it as if it is one monolithic truth.
5. Is, by far, responsible for most anti-scientific positions.
6. Religious education can perpetuate a narrow worldview, reinforce sectarian divisions, and foster intolerance towards those with different beliefs or non-believers.
7. Certain religious teachings have been used to justify inequality, sexism, homophobia, and other forms of discrimination, perpetuating social biases and hindering social progress.
8. Intense religious education may limit exposure to alternative beliefs, cultures, and perspectives, hindering the development of open-mindedness, pluralism, and respect for diversity.

Arguments in favor of Religious Education:

1. Religious education can provide a framework for ethical and moral values, offering guidance on how to navigate moral dilemmas and make ethical decisions.
2. Participation in religious education can foster a sense of belonging and community, connecting individuals with like-minded peers and promoting social interactions.
3. Religious education can help preserve cultural traditions, rituals, and heritage, ensuring the transmission of cultural values and practices from one generation to the next.
4. For some individuals, religious education can provide a source of personal fulfillment, offering spiritual growth, a sense of purpose, and answers to existential questions.
5. Studying religious texts and teachings can contribute to a deeper understanding of historical events, cultural practices, and the development of societies.

I would argue that all the things in favor of religious education can be obtained without religion.

One last point to give an example. Consider professional Apologists. In reality, what value do they provide to society other than entrenching fanatics to believe more strongly? This applies to all woo, but particularly, one has to wonder the value a Ken Ham, Ray Comfort, etc.

This is not about being able to speak freely, but it's about their morality and value to society.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Waterfall
Scholar

Re: The Morality of Religious Education

Post #2

Post by Waterfall »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1]

Namaskaram boatsnguitars

I am not sure you are right...
I would argue that all the things in favor of religious education can be obtained without religion.
God has to do with religion and religion has to do with God? What can be obtained without religion? Without talking with God? God is the greatest teacher? But I like this...

Your friend forever

Waterfall
Love is the salt of life. It takes a moment to understand and eternity to live.

Carsten Ploug Olsen

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by boatsnguitars »

Waterfall wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:31 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1]

Namaskaram boatsnguitars

I am not sure you are right...
God has to do with religion and religion has to do with God? What can be obtained without religion? Without talking with God? God is the greatest teacher? But I like this...

Your friend forever

Waterfall
Surely you don't believe God is a teacher! First, God doesn't exist, only the belief in God exists.

But, if God does exist he clearly has failed most of his class. If he were a real teacher, he'd be fired.

And, no, it's not the quality of the students. A truly good teacher finds a way to reach most students. A perfect teacher would find a way to compel even the most resistant student to want to learn.

As is evidenced around the world, God is not teaching everyone the same lesson, grading on the same standard, isn't telling anyone what they will be graded on, or even stopping in to tell us how we're doing.

That's an absent teacher, at best. At best

But, I certainly appreciate your perspective and wish you well in your journey to seek enlightenment. I hope it leads you to great reward, whatever that may be.
― Omar Khayyâm

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Waterfall »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #3]

Namaskaram boatsnguitars

What has God been teaching us? Love your neighbor as yourself? As you sow, you shall reap? Do not listen to Satan? Follow my ways? Has there been a fight between good and evil...

https://www.toward-the-light.net/

I like the book :D Look at the back text at the end of the book "Toward the Light - A divine Revelation in Our Time!" Is that not appealing...

Your friend forever

Waterfall

Carsten Ploug Olsen

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by boatsnguitars »

Waterfall wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:03 am What has God been teaching us? Love your neighbor as yourself? As you sow, you shall reap? Do not listen to Satan? Follow my ways? Has there been a fight between good and evil...
Men have been teaching that, and claiming it was God. Men (and women) are capable of coming up with great ideas - and bad ideas. Give credit where credit is due. Until God shows up and makes a case for Himself, let's recognize that it's been humans doing all the work.
― Omar Khayyâm

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Waterfall »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #5]

Namaskaram boatsnguitars

Is God a Him? Is God inside your heart? Have you missed it? Has God shown up in this book...

https://www.toward-the-light.net/

How would you know? In this book it is said that man was created for about 5.000.000 years ago by some fallen angels. Long story. But read the back text at the end of the book "Toward the Light - A divine Revelation in Our Time!" If that appeals to your way of thinking, then read the book. It is down to earth and not like the Bible or the Quran or the Bhagavad Gita or any other book you have read. Let us get enlightened...

Your friend forever

Waterfall

Carsten Ploug Olsen

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by boatsnguitars »

Waterfall wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:39 am
AKA, "The Art of Saying Many Words as if Profound without Saying Anything At All."
― Omar Khayyâm

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Waterfall »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #7]

Namaskaram boatsnguitars

So you did not get enlightened :lol: Maybe another day...

Your friend forever

Waterfall

Carsten Ploug Olsen

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by boatsnguitars »

Waterfall wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:15 pm So you did not get enlightened :lol: Maybe another day...
Nope, you're the only enlightened one, for sure...
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by boatsnguitars »

Restarting this thread after it got spammed.
― Omar Khayyâm