Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

"Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak."

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

What are we to make of this?

Do they not realize that they're making Jesus out to be a liar?

"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."
(Matthew 24:35)

"He that loveth Me not, keepeth not My sayings. And the Word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me."
(John 14:24)

bjs1
Sage

Re: "Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak."

Post #2

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Athetotheist in post #1]

Obviously rejecting the teachings of Jesus would be the textbook definition of un-Christian.

That said, remember that shows like this thrive on controversy. It is likely that this antidotal evidence was used to exaggerate how common such ideas actually are.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

The Barbarian
Sage

Re: "Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak."

Post #3

Post by The Barbarian »

The great decline in evangelical believers can be blamed on this sort of shift by so many evangelical leaders. Jesus is now "politically incorrect" on the Christian right.

This is becoming particularly apparent within the US white evangelical community. In July 2021 the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) published new data, as part of its '2020 Census of American Religion', that is very revealing. The PRRI data reveals what can only be described as an extraordinary decline in the number of white Americans who now identify as 'evangelical Christians.' As the PRRI report concludes: "Since 2006, white evangelical Protestants have experienced the most precipitous drop in affiliation, shrinking from 23% of Americans in 2006 to 14% in 2020."

Not only this, but the PRRI research reveals that these white evangelicals constitute the oldest age-profile of any identifiable group of religious Americans. They have an average age of 56. In short, white US evangelicalism is both shrinking in size and failing to attract younger members. Or, as importantly, it is shedding its younger members who no longer wish to be classified as part of this group. If the current rate of decline continues, we could expect the number of US white evangelicals, as a percentage of the US adult population, to be in single figures by 2030. And they will also be old.

Glass half-empty, or glass half-full?

The data, though, is even more surprising than this. What the PRRI statistics reveal is that, while white evangelicalism seems to be declining, the numbers of what might be called 'mainline Protestants' is increasing. This includes the Presbyterians, Congregationalists, Episcopalians, United Methodist Church, United Church of Christ, Evangelical Lutheran Church, etc. These churches now represent 16.4% of the US population. In contrast with declining evangelical numbers, this is a movement up from 13% in 2016. As a result, if PRRI is correct in its polling methodology, 'mainline Protestants' now constitute a larger group in US society than white evangelicals. There is evidence which suggests that some members of the latter have shifted to the former.

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/ ... 137169.htm

For too many evangelical leaders, being on the right became more important than being right.