Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ross
Scholar

What is Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti?

Post #1

Post by Ross »

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this has been covered before; but to me, the evidence for the existence of this creature is from what I have obtained thus far quite compelling and almost overwhelming.

Yet it does not seem to align to the Biblical account. A naked hairy version of a wild human of no less than giant proportions, or half human half ape.

What do you think?

Is it Nephilim that survived the flood, a variation of an ape, a human species that has avoided civilization and grown in all proportions to the rest of us, or a complete fake and lie, even with all of the testimony of sightings?

I have put the topic here as I want a Christian and a Biblical perspective rather than a secular one.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: What is Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti?

Post #31

Post by Purple Knight »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:44 am As with all these things - including Creationism, Flying saucer pilots built the pyramids and religious claim, believers never admit they have no good evidence, but the debate is about whether many others believe it.
Since I wasn't there, the only thing I can comment on is whether it is plausible. The least plausible part is the Nephilim not being mules.

We have species in reality, mostly unable to breed with one another. And we have these angels in the story going behind God's back with human women. If God didn't want the union, there's every reason to assume that if the union made anything, it would make mules.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #32

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:17 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:44 am As with all these things - including Creationism, Flying saucer pilots built the pyramids and religious claim, believers never admit they have no good evidence, but the debate is about whether many others believe it.
Since I wasn't there, the only thing I can comment on is whether it is plausible. The least plausible part is the Nephilim not being mules.

We have species in reality, mostly unable to breed with one another. And we have these angels in the story going behind God's back with human women. If God didn't want the union, there's every reason to assume that if the union made anything, it would make mules.
Evidently they didn't as we hear nothing about the mighty men of old, men of renown apart from being infertile. Though of course that it doesn't say so doesn't mean it wasn't so. But I suspect we would get (in the case of a mighty man of old that had children) 'Well obviously he didn't have a swimmy thing for a father.' I'd prefer not to bring True Scotsmen into it as we might get misdirected to Loch Ness.

There is digression however with the idea of the angels going behind God's back and helping themselves to the tastier human ladies. Like God didn't know what was going on? But if one wants to make it some sort of alternate history, with God as a ET alien with his bag of genetical science paraphernalia pushing through the Adunaic undergrowth muttering 'Were has that Adam got to?' let them have their fun. I just take the Bible for what it appears to be with mythical origin - stories and gods making stuff happen by magic. I see no reason to complicate matters with angel human hybrid with infertile genes and webbed feet. We had quite enough with the virgin birth, thanks.

Ross
Scholar

Post #33

Post by Ross »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:02 am

Evidently they didn't as we hear nothing about the mighty men of old, men of renown apart from being infertile.
Where does the Bible say that they were infertile?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #34

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Ross wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:43 am

Evidently they didn't as we hear nothing about the mighty men of old, men of renown apart from being infertile.
It doesn't of course. In fact it says so little that I see it as a throwaway line. But the question arises that the Nephilim, being sons of God, with or without webbed feet, would be a different species an unable to breed with humans, or at best produce 'mules' (infertile hybrid offspring) Of course there are more ways out of this problem than you can shake a magic wand at, but the species problem or question at least, still remains.

Ross
Scholar

Post #35

Post by Ross »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:02 pm

It doesn't of course. In fact it says so little that I see it as a throwaway line. But the question arises that the Nephilim, being sons of God, with or without webbed feet, would be a different species an unable to breed with humans, or at best produce 'mules' (infertile hybrid offspring) Of course there are more ways out of this problem than you can shake a magic wand at, but the species problem or question at least, still remains.
The "sons of God" according to the account were the angels, not the Nephilim, were they not?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #36

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Ross wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:18 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:02 pm

The "sons of God" according to the account were the angels, not the Nephilim, were they not?
Likely, at least in the Christian reading. But the Nephilim appear to be the oversized offspring of those sons of God (perhaps angels as we hear of no other heavenly critters) from the pageant winners from amongst humans. Either God forgot to make female angels or they had a bad attitude and the sons of God became passport Bros.

Whether god approved or not is unknown but they appear to have been created genetically compatible. As Gabriel may have found out when Mary got pregnant. "Don't get upset, it's actually the Father's baby, not mine"

"That's all right then. But what's Joseph going to say?"

"No problem, I'll go back to the future in a spaceman suit and tell him it's all ok."