From whence comes human intelligence?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

bjs1
Sage

From whence comes human intelligence?

Post #1

Post by bjs1 »

It is generally accepted that humans are the most intelligent creatures on earth. I am not disputing that claim. It seems to be supported by empirical evidence.

My question is, what makes humans smart? We do not have the largest brains; that honor goes to the sperm whale with a brain nearly 7 times the size of a human’s. We do not have the largest cerebral cortex; that is the elephant. We do not have the highest brain-to-body-mass ratio; that one goes to the ant.

What causes humans to (apparently) have the highest intelligence of any creature on earth?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Gracchus
Apprentice

Re: From whence comes human intelligence?

Post #11

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #10]
Clownboat: "Copy/paste to save time: 'Humans have been widely acknowledged as the most intelligent species on the planet,...'"
It has been acknowledged ... by humans!
Some humans are fairly clever. They have invented some machines for which no other species would see the need. But they throw their waste into trash heaps, wasting non-renewable resources, time and energy. They clear-cut forests, fish the oceans empty, and spew poisons into air, water and land. Because they are greedy, they wage evermore destructive wars on their own species. They believe in impossibilities and ignore evidence that they don't wish to be true.

Humans are well on the way to extinction at their own hands. Then again, that might be the smartest thing they have ever done.

(By the way, a grammar Nazi might point out that "whence" means "from where", so "from whence" is ... redundant.)

Clownboat
Savant

Post #12

Post by Clownboat »

Gracchus wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:35 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #10]
Clownboat: "Copy/paste to save time: 'Humans have been widely acknowledged as the most intelligent species on the planet,...'"
It has been acknowledged ... by humans!
Some humans are fairly clever. They have invented some machines for which no other species would see the need. But they throw their waste into trash heaps, wasting non-renewable resources, time and energy. They clear-cut forests, fish the oceans empty, and spew poisons into air, water and land. Because they are greedy, they wage evermore destructive wars on their own species. They believe in impossibilities and ignore evidence that they don't wish to be true.

Humans are well on the way to extinction at their own hands. Then again, that might be the smartest thing they have ever done.

(By the way, a grammar Nazi might point out that "whence" means "from where", so "from whence" is ... redundant.)
This reads like a rant and I'm not seeing anything to respond to. If I missed something, do let me know.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #12]
You don't see ... ?! I do see! We are done here.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #14

Post by Clownboat »

Gracchus wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:50 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #12]
You don't see ... ?! I do see! We are done here.
Done? You never started best I can tell.
My evidence for that is your lack of letting me know if I did miss something.
Copy/paste: "If I missed something, do let me know."

Now this post here did have a question mark, so I will address it. You asked if I didn't see "...". I did see "..." to answer your question.
My ask still stand, if I missed something, do let me know.

If you are truly bewildered that humans have acknowledged that humans are the most intelligent species on the planet, please ask yourself as to what other animal on this planet has the intelligence to even ask such a thing. When you cannot come up with another animal, you just might understand as to why your obvious and sensical statement that "it has been acknowledged ... by humans" didn't need a reply.

Be well.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by boatsnguitars »

bjs1 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:50 pm It is generally accepted that humans are the most intelligent creatures on earth. I am not disputing that claim. It seems to be supported by empirical evidence.

My question is, what makes humans smart? We do not have the largest brains; that honor goes to the sperm whale with a brain nearly 7 times the size of a human’s. We do not have the largest cerebral cortex; that is the elephant. We do not have the highest brain-to-body-mass ratio; that one goes to the ant.

What causes humans to (apparently) have the highest intelligence of any creature on earth?
The notion that humans are the most intelligent creatures on Earth is indeed well-supported, but the factors contributing to our intelligence are multifaceted and extend beyond brain size, cerebral cortex size, or brain-to-body-mass ratio. Our superior intelligence is likely a result of a combination of several key factors:

Complex Brain Structure: While humans may not have the largest brains, we do have one of the most complex brain structures. The human brain is divided into numerous regions, each with specific functions. The cerebral cortex, in particular, is responsible for higher-order thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making. Its intricate folding increases surface area and allows for more advanced cognitive processing.

Neuronal Connectivity: Humans possess an extensive network of neurons (brain cells) that are highly interconnected. It's not just about the number of neurons but also the quality and efficiency of their connections. The brain's capacity for synaptic plasticity, or the ability to adapt and learn, is crucial for intelligence.

Language and Communication: Human intelligence is closely tied to our advanced language capabilities. Language enables us to convey abstract concepts, share knowledge across generations, and engage in complex social interactions. It serves as a foundation for culture, innovation, and the transmission of information.

Culture and Social Learning: Humans have a remarkable capacity for cultural transmission and social learning. We can acquire knowledge, skills, and innovations from others, even across vast distances and generations. This collective intelligence allows for the accumulation of knowledge and the development of complex societies.

Tool Use and Problem-Solving: Humans have a long history of using tools, which requires advanced problem-solving skills and the ability to plan and strategize. Our capacity to create and employ tools has greatly expanded our cognitive abilities.

Theory of Mind: Humans possess a theory of mind, which means we can attribute mental states, thoughts, beliefs, and intentions to ourselves and others. This ability is fundamental for empathy, cooperation, and understanding the motivations of others.

Long Childhood and Lifespan Learning: Humans have a relatively long childhood compared to other animals. This extended period of development allows for extensive learning and adaptation. We continue to learn and adapt throughout our lives, which contributes to our overall intelligence.

Symbolic and Abstract Thinking: Humans excel in symbolic and abstract thinking, enabling us to create and manipulate symbols, concepts, and ideas. This cognitive flexibility is fundamental to creativity, problem-solving, and intellectual pursuits.

So, human intelligence is a result of a combination of neurological, cognitive, social, and cultural factors. While other animals may surpass us in specific aspects like brain size or certain abilities, our unique combination of attributes, particularly our complex brain structure, language, and culture, sets us apart as the most intelligent species on Earth.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm