Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Post #1

Post by POI »

For eons, theists will quote Scripture, with the presupposition that it is authoritative in some kind of way. I contend that the Bible is no better or worse than any other collection of writings. Meaning, it may appear to have some 'good' things to say, some 'bad' things to say, some 'strange' things to say, some 'wrong' things to say, some untenable things to say, some contradictory things to say, etc etc etc....

Any of us can produce passages and quotes from anyone, or any publication. To many, the Bible is just another one of those tools for use, where applicable.

For Debate:

Why should one more-so care what the Bible says? Is it because....

1. It is the inspired word of God? If so, how do you know?

2. Another reason(s)? If so, what, and why does this make anyone care what the Bible says?
Last edited by POI on Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Post #201

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Data wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:17 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:37 am
Data wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:28 am
William wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:19 am [Replying to Data in post #194]
William wrote: ↑
Nope.

William did not write...take care with the quoting tool.
I thought you wrote that stuff. There does seem to be some confusion here. Perhaps maybe work on your writing style and originality?

I'm just pulling your leg, man. Sorry about that. My mistake. I've fixed it.
Maybe you should work more on validating your claims as distinct from semantic fiddling and equivocation which is either your confusion or attempts to confuse than twit William about what he wrote or didn't.
Maybe. And maybe you ought to develop your willingness to accept defeat, in being obviously wrong, painfully ignorant of that which you speak.
:D Abuse won't get you very far, unless you explain and validate what you post or quote what you validated if you reckon you have done so. Calling something 'Obvious' is a known cheat by implying that some claim doesn't need to be validated.

Data
Sage

Post #202

Post by Data »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:38 am :D Abuse won't get you very far, unless you explain and validate what you post or quote what you validated if you reckon you have done so. Calling something 'Obvious' is a known cheat by implying that some claim doesn't need to be validated.
Nope, sorry, haven't seen any. I'll notify the mechanical subsequently in the event that it is registered.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #203

Post by boatsnguitars »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:00 pm For eons, theists will quote Scripture, with the presupposition that it is authoritative in some kind of way. I contend that the Bible is no better or worse than any other collection of writings. Meaning, it may appear to have some 'good' things to say, some 'bad' things to say, some 'strange' things to say, some 'wrong' things to say, some untenable things to say, some contradictory things to say, etc etc etc....

Any of us can produce passages and quotes from anyone, or any publication. To many, the Bible is just another one of those tools for use, where applicable.

For Debate:

Why should one more-so care what the Bible says? Is it because....

1. It is the inspired word of God? If so, how do you know?

2. Another reason(s)? If so, what, and why does this make anyone care what the Bible says?
We ought to care about things written or said that have the potential to impact our lives negatively or positively: Bible, Mein Kampf, Art of War, The Prince, Fountainhead, I Ching, The Secret, etc.
Any book that is influential (capable of mobilizing power) ought to be cared about.

We ought to understand why it is influential, what it might cause, what can be done to mitigate the negative influence, etc. There will be fanatics trying to bring the ideas into reality and we need to know what these people intend to do.
Or, if there are good ideas, we ought to consider them.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #204

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Data wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:13 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:38 am :D Abuse won't get you very far, unless you explain and validate what you post or quote what you validated if you reckon you have done so. Calling something 'Obvious' is a known cheat by implying that some claim doesn't need to be validated.
Nope, sorry, haven't seen any. I'll notify the mechanical subsequently in the event that it is registered.
Was that supposed to mean anything at all? You said i was obviously wrong, would not admit defeat and and was ignorant. I asked where you showed that, as well as what was 'obvious'. You above is going to look like mere bluster without substance.

I'm not a pin -down artist. If you want to go back and try again, that's ok, but the above just makes you, your case and your religion look bad.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #205

Post by Clownboat »

Data wrote:The word god means venerated from a root word that means simply mighty.

Only in a pretend world where a person pretends that when a Christian says there is only their God and no other Gods that they simply mean mighty. You are not debating children I would like to remind you. You know we are talking about god concepts and you only pretend that we are talking about something that means mighty.
As I said before, you will know them by their fruits.
No problem. Jehovah is the almighty God of the writers of the Bible. The supreme God above, before all others. He made Moses God to Aaron and Pharaoh. He called the judges of Israel gods. Jesus was prophetically a mighty god, but not God almighty. Anything can be a god. It only requires veneration. Paul said, to them being the early Christians.

I wish you would have lead with this. I thought you were talking about real god concepts, not something as meaningless as arguing that anything can be a god.
You should start your own thread if you desire to discuss being ignostic.
All Muslims believe in the Muslim God and the Jewish and Christian God.
Why does this matter? Everyone believes in things that are mighty, or are we back to talking about god concepts again? You play fast and loose with the meaning of words.
The Muslim God is Allah, which in Arabic, means the God. Religions are syncretistic. I believe in Jehovah. I also believe in other gods. A god is simply anything or anyone venerated.

Well crap! Now we are back to not talking about god concepts, but venerated things. Fast and loose! Gods are just venerated things and faith is just trust. How odd!
What you appear to be attempting, really clumsily with your limited knowledge, is to say faith presented by the faithful as infallible and taking the contradictory position that it is what?
Um... everyone's knowledge is limited.
What I actually say is that humans should avoid employing faith at all costs. This goes for believers and unbelievers alike. Would you like to argue against my actual claim by stating that faith should be employed in life? If so, I'm all ears.
If you prefer your Dodge or Jeep that means you have more faith in one over the other.
Leaving this here for all to read...
I do have a preferred vehicle, but faith is irrelevant.
Faith is simply trust.

Ha ha ha! Call me a prophet! Word play.
Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence for things not seen.
I place trust in my car starting because of the long history of starting I have with it (not to mention I fully understand the mechanics behind it). Not because I hope that my car will start. You play with words. You might as well be claiming that evolution is just creationism because both have to do with populations of animals.
You seem to be saying their God, whoever's god, is untrue? You can't.

All available god concepts known to man are currently unproven. This fact doesn't stop those that employ faith from saying that theirs is true at the exclusion of others who are using the exact same mechanism to arrive at their desire position.
Faith is faith. Trust. Doesn't matter if it is religious or other.
And gods are simply things that are mighty. Please! Words have meaning. Again, we understand why you want to claim that faith and trust are the same. It's because trust is reasonable and faith isn't. You want the unreasonable to seem reasonable, but next thing we know the gods are just mighty things and faith is interchangeable with trust. :dizzy:
Faith is things unseen hoped for. Trust. Simple.
You only got the first part correct. I place trust in the sun that it will appear to rise tomorrow because I understand why.
If I wanted to believe that Muhammed flew on a winged horse (or that dead saints got out of their graves and walk Jerusalem), I cannot employ trust as there is no way to understand how a man could fly on a horse that has never been shown to exist. Religious faith in an unevidenced claim is required. Therefore faith and trust are not the same.
Romans 12:3
King James Version
3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
I've studied the Bible for 30 years, first as an unbeliever and then as a believer and I have always been skeptical.
Let's test your words shall we?
Are you skeptical that Jehovah is a real God? I'm not asking if you think the Jehovah concept is mighty, like asking if superman iis mighty. I'm asking if you believe that Jehovah is a real actual God as we use the word God when discussing religion and not like a mighty/godly crap a person might have taken that morning.
You seem to imply that being skeptical means you have to have proof of everything, which is silly, proof doesn't mean much of anything, and you seem to imply that being skeptical means being unbelieving.
I'm guessing you have applied faith to arrive at this conclusion as I in fact don't think that being skeptical means you have to have proof of everything. Stop using faith! Faith allows a person to arrive at any conclusion that they desire to be true.

Let's inquire with some fellow Christians:
Many believers today often confuse having faith in God with trusting in God. Faith is a noun. It is something you have or possess, a “substance” or “evidence” of things both hoped for and not seen (Hebrews 11:1). Faith in God is the confident belief that He is the sovereign Creator of all things and that He can and will do what He claims. Trust, on the other hand, is a verb. It is something you do or act upon.
https://www.icr.org/article/faith-vs-tr ... act%20upon.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb