If not the Consensus of Experts, Who ought we Trust?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

If not the Consensus of Experts, Who ought we Trust?

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

If there is a consensus among experts on an issue, should we - presumably non-experts - provisionally accept their view?
If not, how do you come to a provisional belief about something that you don't know anything about it?

For example, should a person who hasn't heard of Jesus accept that the consensus of experts that Jesus most probably was a real person?
Should we accept the vast majority of Climate Scientists on Climate Change? (Or should we reject Environmentalism because it's all about the money, unlike - I guess - the oil industry....)
Should we accept the consensus of doctors on Covid, or listen to our Aunt who read in her tea leaves and claims the vaccine is so the Gub'm'n't can track us?
If you were to take an airplane, would you want someone who has passed a series of tests proctored by experts, or someone who claims to know how to fly on Faith?

The Bonus Question is: How do you know if someone is an expert on God or the Supernatural? What can we test them on? If they can quote their Holy Text?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: If not the Consensus of Experts, Who ought we Trust?

Post #101

Post by boatsnguitars »

brunumb wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:58 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:05 pm It's a strange thing. I feel it's one of the reasons Christianity is so successful among so many people: it's a celebration of martyrdom, and so the adherent gains more affinity with Jesus in his martyrdom when the adherent experiences their own feeling of persecution. The more they feel persecuted, the better, so they find ways from the benign to extreme, to garner that persecution.
There is an interesting book on martyrdom "The Myth of Persecution" by Candida Moss. From a review (link below):
There were reports of fanatics deliberately seeking out the opportunity to die for their faith, including a mob that turned up at the door of a Roman official in Asia Minor, demanding to be martyred, only to be turned away when he couldn't be bothered to oblige them.
https://www.salon.com/2013/02/24/the_my ... ersecuted/
I had heard about that. It's wild. There seems to be a certain percentage of the population simply wired to want to be punished. It's like a fetish. Also, I'm not the first person to notice that Jesus hanging on the cross, whipped, nude and bloody is a masochists wet dream.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #102

Post by LittleNipper »

otseng wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:18 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:53 pm IN GOD WE TRUST

9. No unconstructive one-liners posts are allowed in debates.

Kindly refrain from making posts that contribute nothing to debate and/or simply express agreement / disagreement or make other frivolous remarks.

For complimenting or agreeing use the Thank button. For anything else use PM.
I find this a very narrow minded response on your part. The question was clearly asked, "If not the Consensus of Experts, Who ought we Trust?" I believe that "WE" need to trust in GOD and that was my answer and shall remain so! And this is found upon US currency which in essence backs my opinion up! It would seem you're the one being rather caustic, while mine has been accepted for may years without question and hits the nail on the head.

otseng
Savant

Post #103

Post by otseng »

LittleNipper wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:33 am It would seem you're the one being rather caustic, while mine has been accepted for may years without question and hits the nail on the head.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Intervention now upgraded to a warning.

1. Personal attacks of any sort are not allowed. Comments about any person that are negative, condescending, frivolous or indicate in any way a lack of respect are not allowed.

16. Appeals, challenges, or any response to comments/warnings made by moderators should not be made in public. The proper channel is to send a PM to a moderator and to discuss it directly and in private.

Again, please review the Rules and abide by them.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #104

Post by LittleNipper »

otseng wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:08 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:33 am It would seem you're the one being rather caustic, while mine has been accepted for may years without question and hits the nail on the head.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Intervention now upgraded to a warning.

1. Personal attacks of any sort are not allowed. Comments about any person that are negative, condescending, frivolous or indicate in any way a lack of respect are not allowed.

16. Appeals, challenges, or any response to comments/warnings made by moderators should not be made in public. The proper channel is to send a PM to a moderator and to discuss it directly and in private.

Again, please review the Rules and abide by them.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.