"A FLOOD of NONSENSE! - Global Flood or Mass Extinctions?"

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

"A FLOOD of NONSENSE! - Global Flood or Mass Extinctions?"

Post #1

Post by Miles »

A delightful explanation of why the notion of a global flood---the Noachian Flood---doesn't make any sense.

Question: Is any of what Forrest Valkai, the host, said, wrong? If so, what and why?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: "A FLOOD of NONSENSE! - Global Flood or Mass Extinctions?"

Post #211

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:42 am
I believe ...
Yeah.... Come back when you have objective data. I'm not concerned with your beliefs, especially considering they include believing a dead guy rose form the dead to rule the universe like some horror/superhero comic book.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #212

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:05 pm
I believe ...
Yeah.... Come back when you have objective data. I'm not concerned with your beliefs, especially considering they include believing a dead guy rose form the dead to rule the universe like some horror/superhero comic book.
You claim to have read the Bible. It doesn't get any more specific than this...
1 Corinthians 15
New King James Version
The Risen Christ, Faith’s Reality
15 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. 6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. 7 After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. 8 Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.

9 For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. 11 Therefore, whether it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.

The Risen Christ, Our Hope
12 Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. 15 Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise. 16 For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. 17 And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.

The Last Enemy Destroyed
20 But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming. 24 Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25 For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. 26 The last enemy that will be destroyed is death. 27 For “He has put all things under His feet.” But when He says “all things are put under Him,” it is evident that He who put all things under Him is excepted. 28 Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.

Effects of Denying the Resurrection
29 Otherwise, what will they do who are baptized for the dead, if the dead do not rise at all? Why then are they baptized for the dead? 30 And why do we stand in jeopardy every hour? 31 I affirm, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. 32 If, in the manner of men, I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantage is it to me? If the dead do not rise, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die!”

33 Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.” 34 Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.

A Glorious Body
35 But someone will say, “How are the dead raised up? And with what body do they come?” 36 Foolish one, what you sow is not made alive unless it dies. 37 And what you sow, you do not sow that body that shall be, but mere grain—perhaps wheat or some other grain. 38 But God gives it a body as He pleases, and to each seed its own body.

39 All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.

40 There are also [g]celestial bodies and terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption. 43 It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 45 And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. 47 The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. 48 As was the [k]man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. 49 And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we[l] shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.

Our Final Victory
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”

55 “O Death, where is your sting?
O Hades, where is your victory?”

56 The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #213

Post by LittleNipper »

oldbadger wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:54 am
LittleNipper wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:55 pm The problem is that some clergy are accepting excuses to accommodate people who are adverse to biblical inerrancy. One excuse leads to another. Does one believe GOD?
Watching the BBC news last night in the UK, we heard that the Speaker of the US House of Representatives (Mike Johnson?) believes that Dinosaurs were on the Ark. What do you think about that?

I often hear Christians boast that they are more intimately aware of the gospels than all others, but never yet has one been able to tell me the most simple things, such as 'What did Jesus and his friends do in the Temple on Palm Sunday afternoon'? You all think that you know the story of Jesus, but so few of you actually do, imo.
On Palm Sunday, Jesus and his disciples spent the night in Bethany, a town about two miles east of Jerusalem --- where Lazarus (whom Jesus had raised from the dead), and his two sisters, Mary and Martha, lived. They were close friends of Jesus, and probably hosted Him and His disciples during their final days in Jerusalem.

As for Mike Johnson, I give him credit. He seems honest, open and forthright. And realizing the flack that he will get for presenting his beliefs, I feel he is rather brave. He is just the sort of person needed to fill the post.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #214

Post by oldbadger »

LittleNipper wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:25 pm
On Palm Sunday, Jesus and his disciples spent the night in Bethany, a town about two miles east of Jerusalem --- where Lazarus (whom Jesus had raised from the dead), and his two sisters, Mary and Martha, lived. They were close friends of Jesus, and probably hosted Him and His disciples during their final days in Jerusalem.
A typical example of my claim that no Christian has ever been able to tell me ' 'What did Jesus and his friends do in the Temple on Palm Sunday afternoon'?

Don't worry about it....you're not alone!
As for Mike Johnson, I give him credit. He seems honest, open and forthright. And realizing the flack that he will get for presenting his beliefs, I feel he is rather brave. He is just the sort of person needed to fill the post.
I think I know you a little bit better now.
Where I live (UK) I think we would be very cautious about putting anybody in to a position of power that believed the dinosaurs were on the Ark.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #215

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:04 pm
I believe ...
1 Corinthians 15
New King James Version
15 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. 6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. 7 After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. 8 Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.

9 For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. 11 Therefore, whether it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.

12 Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. 15 Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise. 16 For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. 17 And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.

The Last Enemy Destroyed
20 But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming. 24 Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25 For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. 26 The last enemy that will be destroyed is death. 27 For “He has put all things under His feet.” But when He says “all things are put under Him,” it is evident that He who put all things under Him is excepted. 28 Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.

29 Otherwise, what will they do who are baptized for the dead, if the dead do not rise at all? Why then are they baptized for the dead? 30 And why do we stand in jeopardy every hour? 31 I affirm, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. 32 If, in the manner of men, I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantage is it to me? If the dead do not rise, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die!”

33 Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.” 34 Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.

A Glorious Body
35 But someone will say, “How are the dead raised up? And with what body do they come?” 36 Foolish one, what you sow is not made alive unless it dies. 37 And what you sow, you do not sow that body that shall be, but mere grain—perhaps wheat or some other grain. 38 But God gives it a body as He pleases, and to each seed its own body.

39 All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.

40 There are also [g]celestial bodies and terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption. 43 It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 45 And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. 47 The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. 48 As was the [k]man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. 49 And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we[l] shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.

Our Final Victory
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”

56 The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.
He did it all for money; [...] (They were) poor and country-dwelling men, seeing that they used to have nothing; certain wonders were worked with magical arts. Not that it is unusual however to do wonders; for the magicians in Egypt also did wonders against Moses, Apollonius also did them, Apuleius also did them, and any number have done wonders. [They did wonders by magical arts] so that they might receive riches from rich and impressionable women, whom they had led astray.
Against Christians, Porphyry of Tyre

See, I can quote books, too!
― Omar Khayyâm

Tcg
Savant

Post #216

Post by Tcg »

LittleNipper wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:04 pm
I believe ...
1 Corinthians 15
New King James Version

The Last Enemy Destroyed

A Glorious Body

Our Final Victory

Moderator Clarification

Please take note of the following from the guidelines for this subforum:

"This subforum is designed to foster debate on issues which intersect science and religion. While posters may certainly take positions based on religious doctrine, the Bible or other religious writings are not to be considered evidence for scientific claims."

Clearly, the Bible is not considered evidence in this subforum. It doesn't get any more specific than this.

Rules
S&R Guidelines

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #217

Post by LittleNipper »

oldbadger wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:23 am
A typical example of my claim that no Christian has ever been able to tell me ' 'What did Jesus and his friends do in the Temple on Palm Sunday afternoon'?

Where I live (UK) I think we would be very cautious about putting anybody in to a position of power that believed the dinosaurs were on the Ark.
Well, here is what your recent monarch said regarding CHRIST JESUS: https://haventoday.org/blog/10-surprisi ... ays-jesus/

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #218

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:45 pm

Well, here is what your recent monarch said regarding CHRIST JESUS: https://haventoday.org/blog/10-surprisi ... ays-jesus/
Do you feel that is going to make him think, "Gee, if the Queen said things about Jesus, I must be wrong about a man claiming there were dinosaurs on the Ark! Crikey! Don't I have egg on my face now!"

I really hope not. But I honestly can't understand why you'd say it otherwise? Can you explain?
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #219

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:03 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:45 pm

Do you feel that is going to make him think, "Gee, if the Queen said things about Jesus, I must be wrong about a man claiming there were dinosaurs on the Ark! Crikey! Don't I have egg on my face now!"

I really hope not. But I honestly can't understand why you'd say it otherwise? Can you explain?
I would say that a "Monarch" is certainly at the top of the heap and in a far superior position than most other individuals. And yet the United Kingdom by way of her Queen didn't find itself in total disarray because this queen had the audacity to believe that JESUS CHRIST was her SAVIOR and the only means of salvation. AND to top it all off, this very SAVIOR whom your QUEEN cherished, is recorded to have stated the following in Matthew chapter 24 verses 34-42
34 Verily I (JESUS) say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,

39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

Now, I'm very sure that Queen Elizabeth II had read this and pondered this among the rest of her Bible studies. And how could she be so bold to name JESUS CHRIST as her SAVIOR ---- this very individual who believed Noah was an historical being. I feel it is called FAITH. FAITH that JESUS was the SON of GOD and in fact not usurping HIS FATHER in being GOD. FAITH that JESUS wasn't some sort of nut. FAITH that HE arose from the grave. And FAITH that this very same JESUS CHRIST shall return. All this is far harder to accept than dinosaurs in one form or another sojourning with NOAH during a worldwide flood upon an ark protected by this very same CHRIST/MESSIAH --- who in fact shut the door of the ark. Plus, I do feel that GOD willed this Queen Elisabeth II what appears to be the longest reign in British history surpassing, Queen Victoria who also seems to have shared a strong abiding faith in Jesus Christ as her SAVIOR. Both these monarchs seemed to have reigned during times of relative tranquility in spite of the fact that they had such a strong faith in CHRIST.

brunumb
Savant

Post #220

Post by brunumb »

LittleNipper wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:12 pm I would say that a "Monarch" is certainly at the top of the heap and in a far superior position than most other individuals.
In what sense? Being born into any position is not a guarantee that one has greater intelligence or the ability to think more rationally than anyone else.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.