Bring Joey Back! ... as a moderator :)

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Bring Joey Back! ... as a moderator :)

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

Joey Knothead was more than just a member; he brought something special to the forum

So I propose his special status be formally recognized and Special Rules For Joey, SRFJ, be instituted... PLUS, if Joey is a Moderator he might conform better to the regular rules. I for one hope he does not 'conform' too well. He added some necessary salt to the porridge that is this forum.

Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

__ Matthew 5:13

Savant

Re: Bring Joey Back! ... as a moderator :)

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:55 am Joey Knothead was more than just a member;...
Don't know was he more than just a member, but, I think he should have right to be here. :)

I think best solution for "wrong" speech or opinions is to explain why something is wrong, not removing it, because by that way people can learn.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Put simply, Joey was banned because he violated the rules. See:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40895

Nobody on the forum is allowed special exemption from this, no matter how much we might like a particular person, no matter how lovable he might be, no matter how popular he is.

Shouldn't we make a special case for Joey? Actually, I already have. He's been banned before and I let him back on the forum because he expressed extreme regret and had promised that even if he had one more violation, I could ban him permanently. He has been the only person in the entire history of the forum I've ever let come back from banishment. And he's not the only person who has ever asked. But, since coming back, he has reverted back to violating the rules on multiple occasions. But, a big difference this time is he has not expressed any remorse or apologized for his violations.

Making someone a moderator does not guarantee he would follow the rules. We've had moderators in the past that violated the rules. Even I've violated the rules!

We all agree Joey is a special person, despite all his flaws. But the entire principle of this forum is for civil and respectful debates. If anyone cannot abide by this, then ultimately they will be let go.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #4

Post by Diogenes »

otseng wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:12 am Put simply, Joey was banned because he violated the rules. See:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40895

Nobody on the forum is allowed special exemption from this, no matter how much we might like a particular person, no matter how lovable he might be, no matter how popular he is.

Shouldn't we make a special case for Joey? Actually, I already have. He's been banned before and I let him back on the forum because he expressed extreme regret and had promised that even if he had one more violation, I could ban him permanently. He has been the only person in the entire history of the forum I've ever let come back from banishment. And he's not the only person who has ever asked. But, since coming back, he has reverted back to violating the rules on multiple occasions. But, a big difference this time is he has not expressed any remorse or apologized for his violations.

Making someone a moderator does not guarantee he would follow the rules. We've had moderators in the past that violated the rules. Even I've violated the rules!

We all agree Joey is a special person, despite all his flaws. But the entire principle of this forum is for civil and respectful debates. If anyone cannot abide by this, then ultimately they will be let go.
1st, there is no question Joey violated the rules and was finally banned for sufficient reason;
2d, Yes, a 'special case' precedent was set for him;
3d, The forum will be strengthened and improved by showing flexibility and innovation.
4th, This plea for 'special, double, probation is not based on justice, but upon justice tempered with mercy.

Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?”
Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times.

__ Matthew 18:21–22

" ... and if he sins against you bseven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”

__ Luke 17:4

tam
Savant

Post #5

Post by tam »

Joey is banned? I am sorry to hear that. I don't know the situation; I just want to say some words.

Joey has been very kind to me over the last many years. A couple of times when I was feeling kinda low, Joey came along with kind words that were "a drink of cool water." I, for one (though certainly not me alone), will miss him and hope to see and hear from him again.

So if you are reading, Joey, take care of yourself. Thank you, truly, for all your kindness to this poor servant over the past many years. And even though I sometimes had to dig in my heels :) on who the credit truly belongs to (to my dear Lord Jaheshua and to my dear Father in heaven), every kindness from you was appreciated, helping me more than you probably know.

I will miss your presence 'round these parts, dear friend. But I do look forward to seeing you again at some point!

May you have peace, as my dear Lord Jaheshua gives peace,
your servant, and friend, and a slave of Christ Jaheshua,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

My two cents on this is that it escalated because of a misunderstanding. When a Christian says that some nebulous people are wicked and ignorant, non-Christians tend to assume, whether it was meant so or not, that the Christian is using an insult pointed very directly at atheists, non-Christians, and sometimes even other Christian sects that don't have it quite right.

Catholics, for example, are notorious for believing that only Catholics go to Heaven. Not in so many words, buuuut... If you commit a mortal sin, you must go to Confession, or you don't go to Heaven. Non-Catholics... don't have Confessional. So.

Assuming that "wicked and ignorant" it was a pointed insult, in my opinion, was justified. It just didn't happen to be true, because the person who said it thinks the truly wicked are very few in number.

Thinking very few people are wicked is not something one would naturally assume of any Christian, when all sects seem to have piles and piles of dogma they have to get exactly right and then carry around like bags of bricks, just to get a chance at the reward.

You can go through life assuming that things which are very likely to be pointed insults, are actually not, but it will be an abused existence, not a happy one.

I'm defending the penguin not because I like him, but because I think he made a reasonable assumption that simply didn't happen to be true.

And then there's the fact that while the moderator's decision to give a warning was correct, the moderator implied that it was unfair and because of leeway that had to be given to the religious, which was probably a bad decision, and likely to inflame further, someone we all know is somewhat of a hothead.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #7

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Is there a way one can find in this forum the posts=reasons which got someone banned !

I tried with searching with the function: show all users posts and than looking at the most actual ones, but so far it brought me nought!

Who can link me to the post that got Joey, and the post that got Eloi banned?
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:49 am Is there a way one can find in this forum the posts=reasons which got someone banned !

I tried with searching with the function: show all users posts and than looking at the most actual ones, but so far it brought me nought!

Who can link me to the post that got Joey, and the post that got Eloi banned?
You'll find the sequence of events listed in post #3 above.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #9

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to Miles in post #8]
Thanks, AND here are the threads that document banned users in general!
Exactly what I sought!
viewforum.php?f=23
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

MatijaSever

Post #10

Post by MatijaSever »

1213 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:09 am
Diogenes wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:55 am Joey Knothead was more than just a member;...
Don't know was he more than just a member, but, I think he should have right to be here. :)

I think best solution for "wrong" speech or opinions is to explain why something is wrong, not removing it, because by that way people can learn.
i agree with you