Is being Transgender a choice?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Is being Transgender a choice?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

I'm of the opinion that gender expression is a result of social conditioning. I know I used the word "choice" in the title, but that's only because people tend to associate behavior that can be changed or conditioned as being a "choice" (borrowing from the debate on born this way vs. choice).

In this thread, I want to focus on being transgender. Based on my above opinion, I also believe that being transgender is also a result of social conditioning (i.e. childhood experiences, what they learn from society, etc). If I'm right then I think that the recent focus on transgenderism in the media, in Hollywood, in schools, could lead some children to become transgender. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I also bring these points up because when some parents complain about their kids learning about transgenderism in school, the reaction is that it won't impact (some say "groom" ) the child into becoming transgender. If my view is correct, I think the pro-trans crowd should acknowledge that it can potentially influence children AND there's nothing wrong with that.

For Debate
1. Is being transgender a result of social conditioning?
2. Edit: Removed. Teaching kids about gender identity can be a separate thread.
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

alexxcJRO
Guru

Re: Is being Transgender a choice?

Post #231

Post by alexxcJRO »

historia wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:57 pm
Kylie wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:48 pm
I'm not sure that we can conclude that the results are valid.
We have over 50 years of long-term studies showing that on average 80% of young children who experience gender dysphoria will naturally grow out of it as they go through puberty.

This is pretty well established. Even doctors who provide so-called "gender affirming care" admit that the majority of young children with gender-related distress will see that resolve by the time they reach adulthood. So this is not a controversial point.
Even though you are right:
1.Some trans might not have a choice. Not a phase.
2.Some trans might have a choice in being a phase.

There might be some brain development and/or chemical/hormonal/physiological difference that would make some men feel/behave like women or women feel/behave like men.

Therefore some trans people might be in the right when they complain. Both camps on the side of debate being both wrong and right.

Our total free will might be overwhelmingly overestimated with the most likely scenario that we do not have free will at all.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #232

Post by LittleNipper »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:55 pm I'm of the opinion that gender expression is a result of social conditioning. I know I used the word "choice" in the title, but that's only because people tend to associate behavior that can be changed or conditioned as being a "choice" (borrowing from the debate on born this way vs. choice).

In this thread, I want to focus on being transgender. Based on my above opinion, I also believe that being transgender is also a result of social conditioning (i.e. childhood experiences, what they learn from society, etc). If I'm right then I think that the recent focus on transgenderism in the media, in Hollywood, in schools, could lead some children to become transgender. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I also bring these points up because when some parents complain about their kids learning about transgenderism in school, the reaction is that it won't impact (some say "groom" ) the child into becoming transgender. If my view is correct, I think the pro-trans crowd should acknowledge that it can potentially influence children AND there's nothing wrong with that.

For Debate
1. Is being transgender a result of social conditioning?
2. Edit: Removed. Teaching kids about gender identity can be a separate thread.
So, if you believe there is nothing wrong kids learning the ins and outs of transgenderism, why does there seem to be such a tadoo out of mentioning the Bible and Creationism? The pro-biblical crowd should acknowledge that such potentially may influence students AND there's nothing wrong with that.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #233

Post by AgnosticBoy »

LittleNipper wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:24 pm
So, if you believe there is nothing wrong kids learning the ins and outs of transgenderism, why does there seem to be such a tadoo out of mentioning the Bible and Creationism? The pro-biblical crowd should acknowledge that such potentially may influence students AND there's nothing wrong with that.
In principle, no, there would be nothing wrong with teaching either subject just as long as the teacher sticks to the facts, or make it clear when they are not teaching facts (perhaps make it known that it's one of many perspectives on an issue). I also think parents should be able to opt their kids out of subjects that aren't factually based. Of course, priority would have to be given for core subjects, like math, reading, computer skills, etc.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB