Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Masterblaster
Sage

Jesus Saves!

Post #1

Post by Masterblaster »

I was looking at 2 discussion titles.
Special Rules... Why? and Jesus is Imaginary!

The second title is, grammatically, a personal exclamation, . It reminds me of a Pence comma, for some reason. The first title is inferring that there is something in place, that is incorrect and it becomes a pleading against the situation. When you contribute to these discussions, your post is embossed with the discussion title, as if it is an advertisement placement. I find this technique interesting.

My title is a well known roadside sign. It will become embedded in any contributions to this discussion.
Should roadside, Jesus Saves! signs be removed. Does Jesus save? What is he saving people from? What are the intentions of people who erect these signs?
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Masterblaster
Sage

Re: Jesus Saves!

Post #31

Post by Masterblaster »

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Look at this dictionary word.
What does feeling disenfranchised mean?
....a feeling in a person or group of having no power or opportunities, or of not being represented in the political system: A sense of disenfranchisement, isolation and desperation has pushed people to the edge.

The Jesus message is pitched at these people. Are there as many of these people today as there were, in the past, are you one of them. Do you personally have extended contact with people who might fit into this description.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #32

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Masterblaster wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:34 pm Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Look at this dictionary word.
What does feeling disenfranchised mean?
....a feeling in a person or group of having no power or opportunities, or of not being represented in the political system: A sense of disenfranchisement, isolation and desperation has pushed people to the edge.

The Jesus message is pitched at these people. Are there as many of these people today as there were, in the past, are you one of them. Do you personally have extended contact with people who might fit into this description.
But...what makes you think that Disenfrachised is anything to do with the 'ppor'. Also you select the Matthew reading 'poor in spirit' (which isn't to say living in a cardboard box on the street) while Luke's version has Jesus talking to his disciples alone and 'blessed are you poor'. Luke sees it as relating to his circle who are 'poor' and Matthew clarifies 'in the spirit', which is Biblical Doubledegook for 'you are privileged elect and will get saved and have the last laugh, won't you, Billy? (1) So while you might make a case for Christianity as targeting the vulnerable and desperate for charity and conversion , there is an old atheist Axiom "You cannot buy the truth with free soup". In other words, Religion may gain brownie points in ploughing cash into charity in a way atheism doesn't, but that doesn't make it true.

(1)

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #33

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello

Earlier I said that Jesus saves from dukkha. Who is in this state. I agree with Buddhism, virtually everyone is. In 2023 we have classified the many facets of human distress.Jesus didn't need to do that, dukkha was all around. People are fearful,in pain,confused, exploited, violated.People have nervous disorders, they are ill, their bodies are changing, they have developed self-destructive dependencies. They feel unloved and resentful. The poor in spirit are people struggling with their existences, ie most of us.
Use empathy to engage with others.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #34

Post by JehovahsWitness »

DOES JESUS SAVE?

To be saved means to be delivered from or escape from danger or death. Biblically Jesus is the means by which faithful humans can be "saved" from a life completely alienated from the True God JEHOVAH and avoid everlasting death. For Christians, Faith in Jesus leads to spiritual liberation now and ultimately (for the majority) everlasting life on a paradise earth in the future - compare John 3:16.

FURTHER READING Jesus Saves​—How?
https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/q ... sus-saves/

RELATED POSTS

How can millions be "saved" if only 144,000 individuals go to heaven?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 97#p846597

If we are all imperfect and bound to sin, does that mean that God is obliged out of fairness to automatically save everyone, irrespective of their actions and choices?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 451#893451

Was God's original purpose for mankind that ALL humans live forever in paradise?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 845#967845
To learn more please go to other posts related to

LIFE , DEATH and ...SALVATION
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #35

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Masterblaster wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:28 am Hello

Earlier I said that Jesus saves from dukkha. Who is in this state. I agree with Buddhism, virtually everyone is. In 2023 we have classified the many facets of human distress.Jesus didn't need to do that, dukkha was all around. People are fearful,in pain,confused, exploited, violated.People have nervous disorders, they are ill, their bodies are changing, they have developed self-destructive dependencies. They feel unloved and resentful. The poor in spirit are people struggling with their existences, ie most of us.
Use empathy to engage with others.
In fact life is better than it was 100, 200 or 500 years ago in longevity, health and lifestyle. Dealing with Dukkha (suffering) by opting out is an individual choice, though I suspect (like Buddhism) it depends on a large non opting out populace with food and cash to support the out - outers. Dye see? We are part of a community and warts and all benefit from it and have our part to play (including taxes - which some seem to have a real problem with) . I look at an appeal to use Jesus as a opiate or drunk to blot out a misery that we have to be aware of and deal with, not wallow in self pity, never mind let religion act like Job's comforters that do a little snake - oil on the side in order to peddle their own agenda, even if not holding their hand out.

So while you may see your cure from suffering as a benefit, I just see it as a way of peddling quack nostrums for an illness we don't actually have.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #36

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:29 pm DOES JESUS SAVE?

To be saved means to be delivered from or escape from danger or death. Biblically Jesus is the means by which faithful humans can be "saved" from a life completely alienated from the True God JEHOVAH and avoid everlasting death. For Christians, Faith in Jesus leads to spiritual liberation now and ultimately (for the majority) everlasting life on a paradise earth in the future - compare John 3:16.

FURTHER READING Jesus Saves​—How?
https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/q ... sus-saves/

RELATED POSTS

How can millions be "saved" if only 144,000 individuals go to heaven?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 97#p846597

If we are all imperfect and bound to sin, does that mean that God is obliged out of fairness to automatically save everyone, irrespective of their actions and choices?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 451#893451

Was God's original purpose for mankind that ALL humans live forever in paradise?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 845#967845
To learn more please go to other posts related to

LIFE , DEATH and ...SALVATION
Sorry. The system stinks, and I'd be happy to opt for oblivion and I see the offer is nothing better, and if anything but the restrictive and tight category that God considered worth saving, is indefensible by any moral code God was supposed to have given us and divine command and never mind what we feel about it is the system that stinks, and I am so glad I don't believe a word of it.