Please Challenge This Hypothesis

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Please Challenge This Hypothesis

Post #1

Post by POI »

After years of debate, one topic seems to remain without waiver and/or adjustment. I'm placing this topic here, in the forefront/spotlight, to expose it to direct challenge. I will be more than happy than to (waiver from/augment/abort) this hypothesis, baring evidence to the contrary....

Hypothesis: The reason most/all believe in (God/gods/higher powers) is because of evolution. Meaning, 'survival of the fitter." Meaning, all humans who favored type 2 errors over type 1 errors are now mostly gone. We inherit our parent's predisposition to invoke type 1 errors, until otherwise logically necessary. Meaning, few will still BECOME atheists after "going to the well enough times" and not seeing God there.

Allow me to explain. In this context, a type 1 error would be first assuming intentional agency, and being wrong -- (good or bad). Alternatively, a type 2 error would be not to first assume intentional agency, and being wrong.

1) Walking down a dirt path, from point A to point B, and hearing a rustle in the weeds, and first assuming danger, would be a type 1 error IF incorrect. This person would still be alive if they are wrong. Maybe it was actually just the wind. Alternatively, if one was to instead first assume no danger, the wind, but there was danger, this person has first committed a type 2 error and is now likely out of the gene pool. And since this has been happening for a long time, we only have the ones who first invoke type 1 errors.

2) Getting in a car wreck with 3 friends.... Your 3 friends die, but you live. You assume you are purposefully spared. IF you are wrong, there is really no harm and no way to know. There is really also no way to confirm you were not spared. Hence, your possible type 1 error is never confirmed/corrected. Which means you can and will continue to attribute agency, where there may not really be any.

In essence, you first assume agency, until proven otherwise. For God, it is never really unproven. Humans connect the dots, accept the hits and ignore the misses, other...

For debate: Is this is viable reason why most believe in a higher power? Is this also why other arguments, against god(s), hardly change the believer's mind?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Data
Sage

Re: Please Challenge This Hypothesis

Post #61

Post by Data »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:31 pm None of that seems necessary. How about differentiating your religious thinking from that of a Muslim for starters.
Not sure I follow. We believe differently.
Clownboat wrote: Perhaps you believe claims from the Christian religious holy book? See a Muslim and their holy book.
Perhaps you believe in your god concept because of faith? See a Muslim and their faith.
Perhaps you are a Christian because of where you were born? See a Muslim and religion by geography.
I believe the Bible. Claims? Seems an odd distraction of atheists. I've read both the Bible and Quaran many times. I've published and translated parts of the Bible and the entire Quran. They're different. What's your point. I wasn't born a Christian, I'm not Christian now, I was born atheist/irreligious. Dad was atheist from, his folks were as well. Mom believed in some God concept but hated religion. I became a believer when I was poised on taking a militant stance against Christianity and decided if I was going to do that I needed to go on more than the tradition and so I began an intense study of the Bible. I live in the Bible belt. Well, actually I don't think it is technically considered that but it is as far as I can tell. The commonality and prevalence of specific teachings naturally have some relevance given geographic relevance, but so does language, and a dozen other things including secular.
Clownboat wrote: Sure, levitating would be cool, but let's be honest, it isn't necessary. Showing that your reasoning is different when compared to the reasoning of humans that believe in a competing god concept would be a better start IMO, if that can be done that is.

Why do you think religion by geography is a thing? Do the available god concepts want it to be that way? Seems odd and very human to me. What's your take?
The same as anything else. If I were born in China I would likely be Taoist or Confucianist. The same goes for time. But so would you. Not really as significant or at least surprising as far as I can tell.

otseng
Savant

Post #62

Post by otseng »

Data wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:26 am Isn't it yet fashionable for you people to be openly antichristian instead of just weak atheists. The agnostic part I would happily concede, but the rest. Fascinates me. Like an amoeba.
Moderator Comment

Please debate without making personal comments.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #63

Post by TRANSPONDER »

[Replying to Data in post #61]

That seems a self - serving argument. Of course cultural norms are dumped on the person where they grew up. But while you rushed to the Bible I went tyo all the religious claims, and saw no reason to see any of the god - claims as beating the others.

Except that Muhammad looked a real person (so did Joseph Smith, and L Ron Hubbard) and Buddha - I wasn't sure but the method looked the common one (contact with the ultimate reality). The main Bible claim was that it was a reliable record. A study soon shows that there was a norther view of that.

But you went straight to the Bible and dismissed the Quran, which you say you read. On what grounds,pray? Why is not the Quran the latest revelation as it says?