Who strains at a gnat, and swallows a camel.?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Masterblaster
Sage

Who strains at a gnat, and swallows a camel.?

Post #1

Post by Masterblaster »

Is theology suffocating belief in God.
Is religious doctrine logically effective.
Is religious debate an egoistic indulgence, devoid of purpose?
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Masterblaster
Sage

Re: Who strains at a gnat, and swallows a camel.?

Post #41

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello
This is probably a question for a Christian if any are a available. It can be a brief pull together of what constitutes your instincts on this.
In the quoted Biblical words of Jesus can you tell us what Jesus thought about God.Please give references for the quotes you feel best display an answer to this clear question

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #42

Post by Masterblaster »

Masterblaster wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:05 pm Hello
This is probably a question for a Christian if any are a available. It can be a brief pull together of what constitutes your instincts on this.
In the quoted Biblical words of Jesus can you tell us what Jesus thought about God.Please give references for the quotes you feel best display an answer to this clear question
I will answer my own question using the Mark Gospel. The legwork has been awesome, the 7th quotation I wrote down was Mark 7:7. It's a beauty for this thread and for the Jesus hostility at the Temple,mentioned earlier.

Mark 7:7
Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men

Back to my study.

Wootah
Savant

Post #43

Post by Wootah »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:24 am
Wootah wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:36 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:06 am Because society will collapse without it? Ha ha. That one's been pushed enough but doesn't stand up to question.
Communism. Russia. Good grief.
The problem there was not atheism but Dogmatism, Authoritarian Dogmatism, just the same as religious authoritarian dogmatism, and I'll bet you can name the three strange political bedfellows at the moment who have one thing in common - one party authority.

Atheism was not to blame for that. And it wasn't even a collapse. Russia and even China came out of the medieval and into the modern. Good or bad, it made their civilisation. What do you think of that?But thank you at least for showing up the great failing of Christian apologetics - kneejerk propaganda rather than proper arguments.
This reminds me again of the meme that true communism has never been tried.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #44

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello Wootah

I have just wasted 10 posts on this thread dealing with another "savant" of DC who attempted to scupper this discussion with nonsense about English grammatical terms.
You, a 2nd 'savant' , attempts to bait TRANSPONDER off point with what is now your second little side swipe at communism( or whatever)
Do you not like the subject of this thread. If so ,have the courage to encounter it honestly through reflective debate or alternatively, have the manners and integrity to stay out of the way.
The opening questions are

Wootah
Savant

Post #45

Post by Wootah »

Masterblaster wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:18 am Hello Wootah

I have just wasted 10 posts on this thread dealing with another "savant" of DC who attempted to scupper this discussion with nonsense about English grammatical terms.
You, a 2nd 'savant' , attempts to bait TRANSPONDER off point with what is now your second little side swipe at communism( or whatever)
Do you not like the subject of this thread. If so ,have the courage to encounter it honestly through reflective debate or alternatively, have the manners and integrity to stay out of the way.
The opening questions are

Sorry about that.
No of course not. I am loving going deeper into theology and loving God more and more.
Christianity is logical but the problem with logic is that it is not gravity where if you ignore it you die.
No of course not. Knowing God and knowing yourself are wonderful things.

Now. Having said that, poor theology does have massive consequences.

For instance science was invented by good theology in the West based on understanding God is ordered and creation was ordered.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #46

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello Wootah
Thank You for your contribution.I will consider your points further, as will others, I hope. Do you wish to answer the Jesus's thoughts about God question, a few posts back.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #47

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello Wootah
This is your answer to this - Is theology suffocating belief in God.

No of course not. I am loving going deeper into theology and loving God more and more.

Isn't it this self-indulgent rambling that gives god belief the bad press it gets. This wallowing in regurgitated fantasy obscures what should be truthful clarity.
Can you answer one hard question from your rapturous explorations.

Why, with, the exception of the John Gospel, did Jesus decline to present himself as the Son of God....and you can have Acts to help you if you like,.....even Paul.