is Nothing Really Something

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Kevin King
Student

is Nothing Really Something

Post #1

Post by Kevin King »

This is the first time running a debate thread, so wish me luck!

The word "nothing" conveys absent of material, substance, or thought in the conscious mind. Mathematicians identify the concept of "nothing" as the number "0" but they also claim negative numbers exist below 0. If one divides the atom, they keep finding smaller elements on into infinity. I can define "nothing" as:

I still see some collar of a blank screen. What about death and if the atheists are right that people become nothing. No awareness, experience, thought, movement, or sensation. Wait a minute! The atheist just described a state of being and that is something. Once a definition and given to anything, it takes on meaning. Atheists believe there is no meaning beyond this life, but they can't make a strong argument for it. "True nothingness" does not exist under the circumstances I described and this is the debate. All my best to all debaters who wish to participate!

KK

Tcg
Savant

Re: is Nothing Really Something

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Kevin King in post #1]

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Kevin King wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:25 pm is Nothing Really Something

This is the first time running a debate thread, so wish me luck!

The word "nothing" conveys absent of material, substance, or thought in the conscious mind. Mathematicians identify the concept of "nothing" as the number "0" but they also claim negative numbers exist below 0. If one divides the atom, they keep finding smaller elements on into infinity. I can define "nothing" as:
Define "something."

I still see some collar of a blank screen. What about death and if the atheists are right that people become nothing.
No awareness, experience, thought, movement, or sensation. Wait a minute! The atheist just described a state of being and that is something. Once a definition and given to anything, it takes on meaning. Atheists believe there is no meaning beyond this life, but they can't make a strong argument for it. "True nothingness" does not exist under the circumstances I described and this is the debate. All my best to all debaters who wish to participate!.
I've been an atheist most of my life and I've yet to hear any atheist say that "people become nothing," or "believe there is no meaning beyond this life, but . . . can't make a strong argument for it." Typically, they've said either "god does not exist" or "I lack belief in the existence of gods."

Good luck in running into someone you can gnaw on this with. :approve:

Kevin King
Student

Post #4

Post by Kevin King »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:59 am
Define "something...."
I've been an atheist most of my life and I've yet to hear any atheist say that "people become nothing," or "believe there is no meaning beyond this life, but . . . can't make a strong argument for it." Typically, they've said either "god does not exist" or "I lack belief in the existence of gods."

Good thought and question, Miles

I think of "something" as anything that can be apprehended by an individual or soul

Personally, I have heard atheists claim that there is no type of experience beyond their human life

Can anyone confirm whether they will have a life after death experience as an atheist?

Kevin King
Student

Post #5

Post by Kevin King »

In Genesis, it says "In the beginning....The earth was without form and void, and the darkness was over the deep" (Ge 1:1-2 ESV).

This is one of the most succinct definitions of "true nothingness." Where did the conception come from: God or imagination from human. If the idea came from humans, how did it develop? Good luck people!

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Kevin King wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:40 pm In Genesis, it says "In the beginning....The earth was without form and void, and the darkness was over the deep" (Ge 1:1-2 ESV).
And in an article on Earth NASA says:

"When the solar system settled into its current layout about 4.5 billion years ago, Earth formed when gravity pulled swirling gas and dust in to become the third planet from the Sun.
source

This is one of the most succinct definitions of "true nothingness."
Don't know what your qualifier "true" imparts to the definition, but the Merriam-Webster Dictionary has a far more inclusive definition:

nothingness
noun
noth·​ing·​ness ˈnə-thiŋ-nəs
1: the quality or state of being nothing: such as nonexistence

Thing is, your definition doesn't preclude any of the many celestial objects out there, such as stars that are too faint to be seen, unilluminated planets and moons, asteroids, black holes, dark matter, and dark energy.

Where did the conception come from: God or imagination from human. If the idea came from humans, how did it develop? Good luck people!
Assuming you're referring the concept of nothingness, my vote is humans. In fact, looking up the etymology of the word we find it was first recorded in the 1630s:

"nothingness (n.)
nonexistence, absence or negation of being," 1630s, from nothing + -ness."

source

And note how it developed; by taking "nothing" and pinning "ness" onto its end. "Ness" meaning "state : condition : quality"

TheRootOfDavid
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by TheRootOfDavid »

Is SOMETHING really NOTHING?
I am possessed by The 7 Spirits of God

Data
Sage

Post #8

Post by Data »

You have to ask them a question, like Jeopardy, in case they can't figure out how to respond. This forum is encased in a substance that's like kryptonite to atheists. To debate here is physically impossible.