Reincarnation

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Reincarnation

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Can anyone explain reincarnation? Is it random? Is it per species? Is it based on what we do in this life?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Reincarnation

Post #11

Post by Purple Knight »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:54 pm Can anyone explain reincarnation? Is it random? Is it per species? Is it based on what we do in this life?
I can explain it and I'm pretty convinced I have this right.

There's no such thing as reincarnation per se. There aren't souls and they don't move into other bodies.
However, the phenomenon people refer to as reincarnation is real and it cannot be dismissed. Here's the lowdown:

Memory doesn't work the way we think it does and it's not stored in the brain. The brain accesses it.

We each get a locker. And we each get two keys: One that stores, and one that retrieves.

See this guy? His locker is intact. His retrieval key is intact. His storage key is missing.

(This is long but I expect many people to recognise this story.)

See this boy? His retrieval key happens to fit somebody else's locker. Somebody who's probably dead.

...This is why we get descriptions of places he couldn't possibly have. And yet, he doesn't match with one particular person. He could have a key that sort of fits locker 207A, and also sort of fits locker 207B.

See this girl? Her retrieval key was damaged and it ended up fitting somebody else's locker. Somebody who died a LONG time ago.

...There's got to be some mechanism for making sure we each get a unique key, and understandably, having your key smashed in an accident bypasses that.

I reject this dichotomy utterly that either it's supernatural wooey booey that can never be explained, or it doesn't happen and everyone is lying. It can be explained, and it can be tested, and it's a shame nobody is trying to mess with rat brains and make them remember each other's memories, because that can probably be done. We just need to find the retrieval key.

Wootah
Savant

Post #12

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #11]

Natural scientific explanation for retrieving someone's memories.

Maybe passed through DNA?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Purple Knight »

Wootah wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:10 am [Replying to Purple Knight in post #11]

Some is, actually. However, specific memories I don't believe are even stored in the brain. They are retrieved by the brain, but most probably stored somewhere else.

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:30 pm

Some is, actually. However, specific memories I don't believe are even stored in the brain. They are retrieved by the brain, but most probably stored somewhere else.
Where pray tell?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Purple Knight »

Wootah wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:51 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:30 pm

Where pray tell?
I have no idea, but if the brain dies and other brains can get at it, it's not in the brain.

Finding out where those memories are stored is probably a huge deal. A lesser one, and much more achievable, is to try finding the storage and retrieval keys. They are in the brain. That's how Clive Wearing can lose his storage key due to brain damage caused by illness, and never be able to put anything new into his locker, and it's also how Dorothy Edy can have her retrieval key damaged into the shape of somebody else's retrieval key.

People don't want to say I don't know. It's terrifying to them. So they either go the spiritual route or they just look the other way on the damning amount of evidence for reincarnation.

It's still the age of discovery. There's a lot to learn if you're not afraid of three little words.

TheRootOfDavid
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by TheRootOfDavid »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:54 pm Can anyone explain reincarnation? Is it random? Is it per species? Is it based on what we do in this life?
Born again? Reborn? You tell me?
I am possessed by The 7 Spirits of God

Wootah
Savant

Post #17

Post by Wootah »

TheRootOfDavid wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:32 pm
Well I don't believe in reincarnation. I am asking those that do to explain it.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by boatsnguitars »

Wootah wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:21 pm
Why would they be required to explain reincarnation when you feel no obligation to explain resurrection? Are you expecting people to explain religious ideas with any kind of clarity - because that never happens.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Wootah
Savant

Post #19

Post by Wootah »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:37 am
Why would they be required to explain reincarnation when you feel no obligation to explain resurrection? Are you expecting people to explain religious ideas with any kind of clarity - because that never happens.
Different threads, different questions.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by boatsnguitars »

Wootah wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:15 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:37 am
Different threads, different questions.
No, it's Different thread, same question: "Can you explain this crazy religious idea that has no support from science and was made up by some ancient guy, probably on drugs?"
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm