Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Masterblaster
Sage

'Thou shalt not kill' Law or Directive?

Post #1

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello
The world is full of people and creatures being killed. It seems like a natural thing to do?
What was the original Law of Moses?
Was it a qualified directive. I think it was.
What do you think?
I could kill a person. ( I think!) ...could you?

Micah 7:18 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.
19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.

Matthew 18

"6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

Which way do we go?
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Masterblaster
Sage

Re: 'Thou shalt not kill' Law or Directive?

Post #21

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello JehovahsWitness

We agree on many things but I am extremely not spiritual by nature. I want all this in the lifetimes of my descendants, before it becomes unachievable. I believe our hope can and probably will be destroyed, hence an anxious urgency, in my voice.
I call that realism, you might call that a lack of faith.

My fellow debaters in the quantum physics realm have now come to the conclusion that if it is going to happen then it will happen. So maybe I should go with all of you and have faith. You seem to agree with each other
I have always hated this song:
"
"Qué será, será
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Qué será, será
What will be, will be"

I do not know. Thanks
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Tcg
Savant

Post #22

Post by Tcg »

bjs1 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:52 pm
The Hebrew word is not “kill.” The word is “murder.”
You're right on the first one given that "kill" is an English word. The second is a swing and a miss. The word "murder" is also an English word and therefore is not "The Hebrew word."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

bjs1
Sage

Post #23

Post by bjs1 »

Tcg wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:24 pm
bjs1 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:52 pm
The Hebrew word is not “kill.” The word is “murder.”
You're right on the first one given that "kill" is an English word. The second is a swing and a miss. The word "murder" is also an English word and therefore is not "The Hebrew word."

Tcg
I used an obvious and common shorthand. I could have written, "The Hebrew word is רֶצַח, which roughly translates to murder in the English language." The longer post adds nothing. The meaning is clear in both cases, and my original wording is less pedantic.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin