Yahwey

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

ir001_david

Yahwey

Post #1

Post by ir001_david »

In some Bibles God calls himself Yahweh (pronounced Yarway) in the Old Testament. But in the New Testament the apostles do not use this name when addressing or writing about God. It may because he is called Lord. But I wonder why the use of this earlier name abruptly stopped? No longer is he Yahweh, now he is Lord.

In some Bibles there are several extra books. While I avoid most of them, I have found Ecclesiasticus and the Book of Wisdom very interesting and helpful. But I have thought that the writer of Ecclesiaticus is confusing Wisdom with the Holy Spirit.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Yahwey

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

ir001_david wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:56 pmBut I wonder why the use of this earlier name abruptly stopped? No longer is he Yahweh, now he is Lord.
During the period when most of the Old Testament was being composed and compiled, there was no tradition against saying God's name. During what's called the "intertestamental period," there arose a tradition to not say His name and substitute an epithet like "Adonai" instead. By the time the New Testament was written and compiled, this tradition extended even to written texts.

The reason for the tradition is the commandment against taking "Yahweh's name in vain." Originally, it meant something like not falsely promising something in Yahweh's name ("As Yahweh lives, I will..."), but some people decided that if one never said the name at all, ever, then it would be impossible to say "Yahweh" in vain.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Mae von H
Sage

Re: Yahwey

Post #3

Post by Mae von H »

ir001_david wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:56 pm In some Bibles God calls himself Yahweh (pronounced Yarway) in the Old Testament. But in the New Testament the apostles do not use this name when addressing or writing about God. It may because he is called Lord. But I wonder why the use of this earlier name abruptly stopped? No longer is he Yahweh, now he is Lord.

In some Bibles there are several extra books. While I avoid most of them, I have found Ecclesiasticus and the Book of Wisdom very interesting and helpful. But I have thought that the writer of Ecclesiaticus is confusing Wisdom with the Holy Spirit.
The pronunciation of YHWH was lost and Hebrew has no vowels. So it is lost and God wanted it lost and it needs to stay lost. The most useful thing about insisting God has a personal name to distinguish him from Zeus, Chiva, Thor and the rest is to give the atheists a handle to reject him. That was the most use anyone ever got out of insisting God has a personal name and it is Hebrew.

I have traveled a quite a bit and God has other names in other languages.

The fact, the man who calls his parent by their personal name doesn't have a close relationsihp with said parent because he is using the word that the whole world uses, even those who don't know him. It is definate step DOWN in knowing God and Jesus did not think much of using that word either. He never did.