Where is God/ Lord credited to any quote about Jesus?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Where is God/ Lord credited to any quote about Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

John 3:16 is true ONLY IF TRUTH IS APPLIED TO IT.

God identified his son. It is Israel. Where is God/ the Lord credited as the one speaking about Jesus?

"This is what the Lord says: Israel is my firstborn son, and I told you, "Let my son go, so he may worship me."

Notice it states who said this The Lord said it.
What did the Lord say? Israel is his firstborn son

Also: "When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Where is God/ Lord credited to any quote about Jesus?

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

My impression is that the NT doesn't so much say that Jesus is God, but that Jesus is powered by God to show he is God's chosen son, in the sense of Messiah. John seems to come closest in having God pretty much present in person in Jesus, but even then Jesus can do nothing by himself but only in using the power of the Holy Spirit, sent down to settle on Jesus at the baptism, and rather clearly leaving him on the cross.

The God from conception and walking corpse resurrection stories can be disregarded as they are utterly contradictory and made up afterwards. That's how I see it. The writers were taking Paul's man messiah, anointed, so to speak, by God, and turned him into a Greek -style denigod, but it only came later that Jesus was deemed to actually be God himself.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Avoice wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:25 am John 3:16 is true ONLY IF TRUTH IS APPLIED TO IT.

God identified his son. It is Israel.
Do you think Israel means Jacob, or the nation Israel?
Avoice wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:25 amWhere is God/ the Lord credited as the one speaking about Jesus?
For example here:

And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is My Son, the Beloved; hear Him!
Luke 9:35

And also here:

Yahweh your God will raise up to you a prophet from among you, of your brothers, like me. You shall listen to him.
Deut. 18:15 (Acts 7:37)
"Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me; and the Lord, whom you seek, will suddenly come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, behold, he comes!" says Yahweh of hosts. "But who can endure the day of his coming? And who will stand when he appears? For he is like a refiner's fire, and like launderer's soap; and he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the sons of Levi, and refine them as gold and silver; and they shall offer to Yahweh offerings in righteousness.
Mal. 3:1-3
Why do the nations rage, And the peoples plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth take a stand, And the rulers take counsel together, Against Yahweh, and against his anointed,{The word "anointed" is the same as the word for "Messiah" or "Christ"} saying, "Let's break their bonds apart, And cast away their cords from us." He who sits in the heavens will laugh. The Lord will have them in derision. Then he will speak to them in his anger, And terrify them in his wrath: "Yet I have set my king on my holy hill of Zion." I will tell of the decree. Yahweh said to me, "You are my son. Today I have become your father. Ask of me, and I will give the nations for your inheritance, The uttermost parts of the earth for your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron. You shall dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel." Now therefore be wise, you kings. Be instructed, you judges of the earth. Serve Yahweh with fear, And rejoice with trembling. Kiss the son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, For his wrath will soon be kindled. Blessed are all those who take refuge in him.
Ps. 2:1-12

Avoice
Guru

Post #4

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to 1213 in post #3]

Iit doesn't say God said it. It says a voice.

And why are you quoting the Hebrew Scriptures? I know God identifies himself there. Where in the Christian testament ?

bjs1
Sage

Post #5

Post by bjs1 »

Avoice wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:40 pm [Replying to 1213 in post #3]

Iit doesn't say God said it. It says a voice.

And why are you quoting the Hebrew Scriptures? I know God identifies himself there. Where in the Christian testament ?
If that were our approach, then we should also say that when God said, "This is what the Lord says: Israel is my firstborn son, and I told you, "Let my son go, so he may worship me," then God was only telling Moses what Moses should say. God himself was not making this claim.

To be clear, I think that is a ridiculous position to hold. It is ridiculous in the same way as saying that the "voice from the cloud" in Luke 9 was not God speaking. Neither is a natural reading of the text.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Avoice wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:40 pm And why are you quoting the Hebrew Scriptures? I know God identifies himself there. Where in the Christian testament ?
Ok, sorry, it seems I misunderstood you. I thought you meant, where is God speaking about Jesus in the Bible (OT and NT).

Avoice
Guru

Post #7

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #5]
No, your argument can not be made to defend Christianity. ACCEPTS the Hebrew Scriptures as true. 100%.
It has to. The church needs the HS to be true or Christianity dies at the root.

Christians believe what it says. It says God spoke to Moses. The identity of the one who authored the words has been clearly identified. As was the one who communicsted it to the people. God spoke to Moses and Moses declared it. It doesnt say "a voice from heaven" told Moses.

And by the way, the "Voice" in the Christian testament was heard more than once. And the people who heard it described it. They said it thundered. And it sounded like an angel. GOD IS NOT AN ANGEL. And not one person said it was God. If it was God they would have said so. But they didnt. And they were there

In fact you have an UNIDENTIFIED voice talking about an UNIDENTIFIED person.
"A voice from heaven said this is my son in whom I am well pleased"
Maybe the voice mean John the baptist. Or someone else at the river. The voice didnt point their finger at anyone either. If this was your evidence in a criminal matter, a jury and a judge would dismiss the case.
UNIDENTIFIED VOICE. WRITTEN IN A BOOK THAT WAS ANONYMOUSLY WRITTEN.
You eould never enter into a contract with a person whose identification was unknown, would you? I would not

Avoice
Guru

Post #8

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #5]

Israel is stated as Gods first born son. It tells us who said that. The Lord did.

As I mentioned in a comment to someone:
Christians believe thst the Hebrew Scriptures are 100% true. They believe what it says.
Christianity has the burden of proof. Christians can not say the Hebrew Scriptures are wrong and the Chtistian testament is right. That can never happen. Because if the HS are wrong and the Jews are lying then Christianity ceases to exist.
However the Christian testament can be wrong and the Hebrew Scriptures be right.
Christians need Jews. Jews don't need Christians

So any attempt to discredit the HS does not help your defense.

All doctrine must be held up by the light of the Hebrew Scriptures. It decides what is true

bjs1
Sage

Post #9

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Avoice in post #7]

I did not reject the Hebrew Scriptures. I do accept them.

I rejected a false way of interpreting the scriptures. I argued in favor of accepting the natural meaning of the text (exegesis) as opposed to picking a desired belief and finding a way to justify it (eisegesis).

The New Testament does not say that the Voice was from God; it only infers this as the obvious conclusion. In Exodus God commands Moses to describe Israel as His son but God does not claim Israel as His son directly; that is only inferred as the obvious conclusion.

If we are going to take absurd interpretations of the Bible when it suits us, we will have to accept that others will take absurd interpretations of the bible when it is inconvenient for us. The only other option to interpret the Bible in a reasonable way that fits with what the text says. For instance, in Luke the Voice was from heaven was clearly the voice of God and in Exodus God was claiming Israel as his son.

Where specifically does the New Testament say that this was the voice of an angel?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Avoice
Guru

Post #10

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #9]
Interpretation? The plain text says that the Lord is the one to say that Israel is his son:

"And the Lord said to Moses, “When you go back to Egypt, see that you do all those wonders before Pharaoh which I have put in your hand. But I will harden his heart, so that he will not let the people go. Then you shall say to Pharaoh, ‘Thus says the Lord: “Israel is My son, My firstborn.

And the voice in the Christian bible was not identified. Those who did hear it said it thundered and said it was an angel. If ones truth comes from interpretation then all the evidence must reflect the possibility of the iterpretation to be true. Concerning the voice there is a witness that believes it was an angel. God is not an angel. If it was God they would have said so. But they did not.

"The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him".

Israel is Gods son. HE said so. Jesus, because he was Jew, is also his son. As for the messiah...the work is not done. Jesus had his chance. He died. And no where in rhe Hebrew bibke dies ir say the messiah is to die and come back. The followers of Jesus had no other choice but to say that. Otherwise ther religuon was a failure. The Jews dont accept your belief. And since the messiah is ours, we decide who is the messiah. Not christians. Youll be waiting an eternity because we dont accept him. He died. Sorry