Jesus the short clean shaven unattractive son of God

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nine dog war
Student

Jesus the short clean shaven unattractive son of God

Post #1

Post by nine dog war »

Jesus is often described and pictured as a Tall, White, Beared Guy with Long Hair, Where does this description come from and why to people kepp perpetuation this "Myth". The biblical and historical evidence points Jesus being short, No beard, Clean cut and dark skinned.

WAS HE SHORT
The Gospel of Luke (19:3) “And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and he could not for the crowd, because he was low of stature.” Of course, Luke may be referring to Zaccheus rather than Jesus
Acts of John: “…I was afraid and cried out, and he, turning about, appeared as a man of small stature…” (v. 90)

WAS HE HANDSOME & WHITE
The Slavonic copy of Josephus’s Capture of Jerusalem, contains the following description of a man wanted by Pontius Pilate for claiming that he was the King of the Jews: “a man of simply appearance, mature age, dark skin, small stature, three cubits high, hunchbacked with a long face, long nose, and meeting eyebrows…with scanty hair with a parting in the middle of his head, after the manner of the Nazarites, and with an undeveloped beard (Quoted in Knight & Lomas, 1996, p. 230).” This description is curiously like that of Paul in the Acts of Paul and Thecla: “…a man small in size, bald-headed…with eyebrows meeting, rather hook-nosed…” (v. 3)

In the Acts of Peter, Peter quotes a prophet who described Jesus - “And we saw him and he had no beauty nor comeliness.

In the Acts of John, John says: “And oft-times he [Jesus] would appear to me as a small man and uncomely

Tertullian said: “he would not have been spat upon by the Roman soldiers if his face had not been so ugly as to inspire spitting.

BEARED WITH LONG HAIR
Almost all of the early artifacts concerning Jesus picture him as clean-shaven and with short hair. That should come as no surprise to anyone who has looked at coins, busts or statues of the early Roman emperors. Virtually every one of them had short hair and are clean shaven.

The first apperance painting of Jesus with long hair and a beard was not until the "Bapistry of the Orthodox" in Ravenna, Italy, c 500 A.D.

Have I interpreted the biblical evidence correctly?
Where did the Popular description of Jesus come from?
Is there evidence supporting the popular description of Jesus?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: beard

Post #11

Post by Goat »

margaret wrote:Doesn't Isaiah 50:6 speak of the Christ offering up his face for those who pluck out the beard. That's no big issue if he hasn't one! He was well dressed with seamless robe, but as no big deal is made of his looks in the gospels then I like to assume he was comfortable with the way he looked and projected this confidence to others. Perhaps that is part reason why people see him so many ways. He is so accepting.
That is what Christians claim. However, not if you read the passage in context. It is only through some very creative interpretation (and mis interpretation) that Isaiah could be construed to talk about Jesus at all. However, that doesn't stop some very purposeful mistranslations to go on.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

margaret

Post #12

Post by margaret »

Thanks for the reply. I may have been premature in my Isaiah analysis. Does Christ have a beard now? Who cares, so long as we're getting to God by means of love.

citizenzen
Student

Post #13

Post by citizenzen »

I think that those of you who believe this doesn't matter are missing the point.

Jesus must be made into a mythical, beautiful and heroic figure in order to capture the attention and adoration of the masses. The same could probably be said of all aspects of christian religion, which is why I reject it.

Christianity is a religion so awash in mythology and idolatry that it long ago lost touch with the simple, humble, human that inspired it.

BelovedChild

Post #14

Post by BelovedChild »

citizenzen wrote:I think that those of you who believe this doesn't matter are missing the point.

Jesus must be made into a mythical, beautiful and heroic figure in order to capture the attention and adoration of the masses. The same could probably be said of all aspects of christian religion, which is why I reject it.

Christianity is a religion so awash in mythology and idolatry that it long ago lost touch with the simple, humble, human that inspired it.
I understand how curiousity makes us ask these questions..

However, Jesus was not attractive at all.. We are told in Isaiah 52:13:

"He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had NO BEAUTY or MAJESTY to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him."

And for the short or long hair question, the bible says in 1 Corinthians 11:14:

"Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him..."

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re:

Post #15

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Negachrist wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:24 pm If he's the All-American Poster Boy then he has to look the part...

I'm just surprised they didn't portray him as a natural blonde.

Oh wait...
http://198.62.75.1/www1/apparitions/http:/jesus.gif
http://www.journeywithjesus.net/Essays/ ... man_sm.jpg
http://theunreliablenarrator.net/wp-con ... gibson.jpg
http://www.optimistique.com/pierre.et.g ... e/pg36.jpg
Letter of Lentulus inspired the looks of Mormon Jesus and also The. Third Reichs Aryan Christ
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_ ... entulus%20(%2F%CB%88,and%20personal%20description%20of%20Jesus.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Avoice
Guru

Re: Jesus the short clean shaven unattractive son of God

Post #16

Post by Avoice »

I've come to the conclusion that the image they have elected to represent him means a lot to them.
Id go so far to say that their faith has a lot to do with it.

Their image of Jesus is everywhere. Paintings, statues etc.. Even in their homes. But how many would be able to say "thats my lord snd savior" if the image was of some guy that didnt look European and was unattractive. And was wearing jeans and a t-shirt? It would be difficult for them.

Christians most likely picture him returning wearing a long white robe holding his arms outstretched like in the paintings. If he came wearing modern clothes they would be hard pressed to see him as their lord.

What is rediculous is that when people claim to see his image in toast or on the bsrk of a tree its always the image that looks like the one they chose to be him.

You asked why they have him looking European. Because they have created their god in their image. They have their god acting like a human. Thinking like they do. And looking like they do. Christianity didnt gain momentum until it reached Europe.

They know he was middle eastern. But they choose the lie over the truth. They arent even honest about that. Same with scripture. You can show them proof that their testament contains lies and mistranslations. They dont care.