Do we lose free will in Heaven?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Metatron
Guru

Post #1

Post by Metatron »

In innumerable threads at this forum, I've been told ad nauseum that God allows all sorts of horrible things to happen in the world because of the importance he attaches to man's free will. It is argued that man must be allowed to choose evil otherwise he is effectively God's puppet with no will of his own.

However, it is also argued that sin does not exist in Heaven. Why is this? Is it because man no longer possesses free will in Heaven? Is free will no longer important to God? Would that not make the saved into willless automatons by the same logic Christians use when discussing the problem of evil?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Do we lose free will in Heaven?

Post #101

Post by TRANSPONDER »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:07 am [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #99]
And the other great heavenly open question is;

How does a person feel in and enjoy heaven, knowing that his loving ones are eternally tortured in hell, 'cause they forget to accept Jesus Christ as a their personal saviour❓🔥

Somewhere I read that one important christian theory goes that god wil make the hearts dumb and feelless in paradise, so no one will care about loved ones eternal suffering❗🔥
Exactly. The whole concept of heaven is about fear of death and validation of self -worth, which includes being Special, being alive forever and getting validated before thine enemies, and seeing them hung from meathooks, if possible.

One wonders whether one has to be psychotic to be able to live in a heaven. where the other humans are tormented eternally. I have seen a few who say they are looking forward to it, but most seem unhappy with the idea and either try to suggest that the mind and Self is removed to be Oblivious of the hell going on. To which I say, Atheism offers oblivion as a desirable as well an inevitable outcome anyway without having to spend the one life we have mumbling over old stories. Others bit the bullet...or spiu it out rather, and reject ET and argue Universal redemption.

That gets over hellthreat...but also removes it. And My brand of atheism (sign up here using your favorite method of monthly payment) proposes the possible atheist afterlife (should there be one) which says if there is a heaven, we all get it and no religion has the ticket concession.

Religion needs the stick as carrot of the Heaven -bribe and hellthreat (even Buddhism had to invent one) or the religion has nothing to offer but greedy hand out and trying to tell you how to live.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #102

Post by The Nice Centurion »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:41 am
The Nice Centurion wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:07 am [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #99]
And the other great heavenly open question is;

How does a person feel in and enjoy heaven, knowing that his loving ones are eternally tortured in hell, 'cause they forget to accept Jesus Christ as a their personal saviour❓🔥

Somewhere I read that one important christian theory goes that god wil make the hearts dumb and feelless in paradise, so no one will care about loved ones eternal suffering❗🔥
Exactly. The whole concept of heaven is about fear of death and validation of self -worth, which includes being Special, being alive forever and getting validated before thine enemies, and seeing them hung from meathooks, if possible.
And out of this I draw the conclusion that sceptics are dead wrong when they say that "Christian worldview and religion is substancially good and does teach good principles and morals really!"

Thats wrong!

Bible and bible Jesus not only favor things like slavery, but also eternal torture for naysayers! Wheres the good philosophy and admirable teaching, even for all sceptics in THAT❓🐷🐨🐻
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:41 am One wonders whether one has to be psychotic to be able to live in a heaven. where the other humans are tormented eternally. I have seen a few who say they are looking forward to it, but most seem unhappy with the idea and either try to suggest that the mind and Self is removed to be Oblivious of the hell going on.
Let my favorite saint and the greatest Church father of all time answer you.

St.Augustine teached that "Every saint in heaven has his own little window from which he can observe hell and find lust and enjoyment in watching the sinners get tortured❗🐷🚀".
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #103

Post by TRANSPONDER »

And yet the whole UR (hellfire rejection) option shows that Christians are not happy with hellthreat and cannot accept that any such thing can be real. And I accept that Hell is arguably not in the Bible. There have been arguments on the forum that cast the 'fires' in a different light. If I put on my Theist hat (it falls over the eyes) I might argue that Gehenna is the Pauline divine fire that tests the Work (our earthly works) and if it all burns away, body and soul are gone (1) but if there is enough left it lives for ever, whatever survives. Well, :| maybe even wearing my thist hat it wouldn't make much sense to me.

But point is, if there is no hellthreat, then Christianity has nothing to offer than a heaven which is no better than oblivion anyway as no human mind could endure it even if there are no tortured souls,

(1) I guess the idea is that the spirits animate the (newmade) bodies for judgement.

Savant

Post #104

Post by 1213 »

Metatron wrote: Wed May 16, 2007 8:27 pm Do we lose free will in Heaven?
I don't think so. In Bible eternal life is promised only for righteous. They want to do what is good and right freely, because they understand it is good.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Matt. 25:46
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23