Questioning God's Chosen Communication

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Questioning God's Chosen Communication

Post #1

Post by POI »

The Tanager wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:03 pm (1) Why would an omniscient God reveal to ancient societies the questions that modern scientific communities would be interested in? (2) Why would God care more about making scientific knowledge available in these texts versus addressing how He wanted humans to live?
For debate: Does the provided video below answer the above two questions sufficiently? If not, why not? If so, then I guess God is inept?

In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Questioning God's Chosen Communication

Post #331

Post by benchwarmer »

Mae von H wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:17 am If you do not understand the difference between a common man deciding on his own to execute capital punishment on someone and a judge doing so, but think both are committing murder, then you will not understand how the Judge of all the earth executes judgement. It is that simple.
Let's run with your analogy here:

1) Pharaoh is on trial because he won't let God's people go.

2) Pharoah is found guilty and worthy of punishment.

3) The sentence for Pharoah is .... kill every first born human and animal in Egypt - unless there is freshly killed lambs blood over their door .... ????

That's some fine judging there.

The equivalent in a human court:

1) Bob is on trial because he had kidnapped and was holding a number of women. He was abusing, raping, and even murdering some of them.

2) Bob is found guilty and worthy of punishment.

3) Bob gets sent to death row to wait for his execution.... No wait. We should do this God's most Holy way. In whatever town Bob lives in, go to every house and execute every first born child and/or pet you can find. Bob is free and gets to watch.

Yup, you are right. I will never understand how this Bible God judges.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #332

Post by Mae von H »

benchwarmer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:54 am
Mae von H wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:17 am If you do not understand the difference between a common man deciding on his own to execute capital punishment on someone and a judge doing so, but think both are committing murder, then you will not understand how the Judge of all the earth executes judgement. It is that simple.

No, because he murdered countless babies.
Well uh duh! That’s a no brainer.
3) The sentence for Pharoah is .... kill every first born human and animal in Egypt - unless there is freshly killed lambs blood over their door .... ????
Any Egyptian could have painted their own door. It wasn’t done in secret. Could hardly have been more open. Essentially, “You want to be saved? Do like us and accept the sacrifice of a lamb.”

1) Bob is on trial because he had kidnapped and was holding a number of women. He was abusing, raping, and even murdering some of them.

3) Bob gets sent to death row to wait for his execution.... No wait. We should do this God's most Holy way. In whatever town Bob lives in, go to every house and execute every first born child and/or pet you can find. Bob is free and gets to watch.
Nope. Bob sent all the men in the city to do the same to all the women. This part you left out. Those same men faced judgement.

That’s because you edit out the bits you don’t like.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #333

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Mae von H wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:17 am
benchwarmer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:19 pm
Mae von H wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:50 pm
benchwarmer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:56 am
Mae von H wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:36 am That’s called executing judgement and He is the Judge of all the earth.
You can reframe and tap dance all you want. The story has God killing EVERY first born simply because Pharaoh wouldn't relent. I suggest maybe this God character should have simply 'passed judgement' on Pharoah and killed him instead. If that didn't work, then work on down through the Egyptian leadership. That would have been 'righteous judgement'. Blanket killing of EVERY first born is plain old murder.

If you can't see this, then we will have to agree to disagree. I'm hoping you realize there are probably better solutions than mass killing of people not involved in the decision making.

That fact that some Christians are fine with this type of killing is what likely drives some further and further from listening to any other ideas these Christians may have about what might be 'good' or 'right'.
If you don’t want to see, no one can force you to see and understand. Well, you aren’t the first and won’t be the last.
The irony here is killing me.

Did the God of the Bible kill EVERY first born (including animals - sheesh what did they do?) according to the story? Yes.

Did this same God bypass anyone who had killed something else (I guess God doesn't really know the hearts of men and wanted a little extra bloodshed to signal his followers) and paint their blood over their doorways? Yes.

Why did God do all this killing (and ask His followers to kill other animals to avoid it)? Because Pharaoh wouldn't let His people leave.

So the logic here is that God wanted to pass judgement on Pharaoh, so orders the killing of lambs by His followers and them kills every single first born human or animal in sight. Got it.

Basically where we are landing here is the usual apologetic when the Bible God is doing something clearly not in line with modern thinking or morals. God is God and can do whatever He pleases and thus it is automatically righteous. Sound familiar?
If you do not understand the difference between a common man deciding on his own to execute capital punishment on someone and a judge doing so, but think both are committing murder, then you will not understand how the Judge of all the earth executes judgement. It is that simple.
But the analogy fails, and fails because you are assuming that God is a just judge, which itself is merely gobbledegook for 'owns everything and can do what he likes'.

It is no more than a powerful dictator killing anyone he wants to.

The story had God setting the thing up and manipulating Pharaoh to set this up, just like Eden in fact. And Paul's false analogy of the potter (1) only shows petty vindictiveness of a child smashing his toys just because he can.

We have historical examples of people who had power and used it to eliminate people they didn't like, and were Judges themselves or used a corrupt legal system to do show trials or eliminate political problems (let rhe reader understand, as the Bible says). This, not the better legal system we can have is the analogy and it shows yet again that God cannot match the best morals (or justice) that humans can do OR the apologetics excuse that God does the use the moral code he supposedly gave us, but just acts like a dictator with political control and a lot of nukes.

This is not right, morality or justice, it is divine bullying and immorality and I thank random factors yet again that I don't believe a word of it and have to make reason, ethics and even intellectual honesty stand on its' head to try to make it somehow look credible, if only to myself.

(1) I must dredge up my old apologetic. 'Can the pot dictate to the potter?' Yes, and plainly, Paul never made a pot in his life, though he may have smashed a few in a bad temper and didn't see any problem with God doing that with his creation.

But, Mrs Trans and I did a pottery class together (house still contains some pretty nice pots we made) and i learned 'clay remembers'. And what this means is that, if you shape the pot wrong, you cannot force it to be right. And the pot isn't to blame, but the potter. The potter may throw the flawed pot on the floor and stamp on it but it is still the fault of the potter blaming the pot for his own bad work.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #334

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Mae von H wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:02 am

Any Egyptian could have painted their own door. It wasn’t done in secret. Could hardly have been more open. Essentially, “You want to be saved? Do like us and accept the sacrifice of a lamb.”

Nope. Bob sent all the men in the city to do the same to all the women. This part you left out. Those same men faced judgement.

That's ridiculous.The Egyptians were not Hebrews and could not be excepted from what God was going to do to them. Are you saying God would have let his nasty little plan be foiled if the Egyptians decided to do what the Israelites did? If that had happened, God would simply have done his own dirty work and smit all those who were not Hebrews, even if they has splashed blood on their porches.

It is not editing out but making stuff up that doesn't work.Back to the drawing -board on that one.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #335

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:24 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:28 am ...People follow humanist rules...
Please give one example of a such rule.
Reciprocity.See below. In fact that covers almost every moral rule as it is based on the empathy instinct extended (on reason) to others, and coners everything from trade to co - operation.

Mae von H wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:58 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:28 am
1213 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:24 am
POI wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:13 pm
The Tanager wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:03 pm (1) Why would an omniscient God reveal to ancient societies the questions that modern scientific communities would be interested in? (2) Why would God care more about making scientific knowledge available in these texts versus addressing how He wanted humans to live?
For debate: Does the provided video below answer the above two questions sufficiently? If not, why not? If so, then I guess God is inept?

I don't think the video is good for anything. I think God's rules in the Bible in all cases are as clear. The problem seems to come when people read only small part of it and ignore everything that doesn't support their interpretations, not the Bible itself. If your video is inept, it doesn't mean God is also.
Rubbish. Denial. God's rules in the Bible (even before they get revised in the NT because it was written by Christians, not Jews) are bad, reactionary and wrong and half of them people don't do anyway.

People follow humanist rules and just claim they are God's and if they aren't (and demonstrably they are not, just take slavery) then it is excused as 'pointing that way'. in the process of giving the Bible the credit for what humans have done The fact is that it works as well and explains more (and needs to deny less) if we assume humans were doing their best in various cultures and making slow progress and that is still going on.

Bottom line, you may deny everything (with or without watching the video) but it isn't about getting you to admit anything you don't want to.Bible apologists don't. It is about making the best case for others to consider.

Rock bottom line - it is not about how much you can deny but the case you can make which is not to say excuses with pot kettle accusations of cherry picking, taking out of context and being inept. Which is the stock in trade of the Bible apologists.
What are humanistic rules and please give one that people, all people everywhere without fail, follow?
They are the ones that are credited to a god (name your own) and the obvious one is the principle of reciprocity or the golden rule, which is of course found in many cultures before the Bible did its' own version and in some cases the NT changed it to to excuse interfering with others because you think it would be to their benefit, and never mind what they want.

And you are doing a pretty palpable strawman of the point by insisting that a Rule be something that everyone always follows without fail. Legal and even gameplay rules are not always followed, and so are supposed god - given rules. That doesn't mean they are not there and valid. Clearly that is so bad that I am inclined to demand a withdrawal and admission that was a dirty bit of work, though I won't insist on an apology.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #336

Post by Mae von H »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:23 am
Mae von H wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:36 am That’s called executing judgement and He is the Judge of all the earth.
You can reframe and tap dance all you want. The story has God killing EVERY first born simply because Pharaoh wouldn't relent. I suggest maybe this God character should have simply 'passed judgement' on Pharoah and killed him instead. If that didn't work, then work on down through the Egyptian leadership. That would have been 'righteous judgement'. Blanket killing of EVERY first born is plain old murder.

If you can't see this, then we will have to agree to disagree. I'm hoping you realize there are probably better solutions than mass killing of people not involved in the decision making.

That fact that some Christians are fine with this type of killing is what likely drives some further and further from listening to any other ideas these Christians may have about what might be 'good' or 'right'.
If you don’t want to see, no one can force you to see and understand. Well, you aren’t the first and won’t be the last.

Did the God of the Bible kill EVERY first born (including animals - sheesh what did they do?) according to the story? Yes.

Did this same God bypass anyone who had killed something else (I guess God doesn't really know the hearts of men and wanted a little extra bloodshed to signal his followers) and paint their blood over their doorways? Yes.

Why did God do all this killing (and ask His followers to kill other animals to avoid it)? Because Pharaoh wouldn't let His people leave.

So the logic here is that God wanted to pass judgement on Pharaoh, so orders the killing of lambs by His followers and them kills every single first born human or animal in sight. Got it.

Basically where we are landing here is the usual apologetic when the Bible God is doing something clearly not in line with modern thinking or morals. God is God and can do whatever He pleases and thus it is automatically righteous. Sound familiar?
If you do not understand the difference between a common man deciding on his own to execute capital punishment on someone and a judge doing so, but think both are committing murder, then you will not understand how the Judge of all the earth executes judgement. It is that simple.
But the analogy fails, and fails because you are assuming that God is a just judge, which itself is merely gobbledegook for 'owns everything and can do what he likes'.

The story had God setting the thing up and manipulating Pharaoh to set this up, just like Eden in fact. And Paul's false analogy of the potter (1) only shows petty vindictiveness of a child smashing his toys just because he can.

We have historical examples of people who had power and used it to eliminate people they didn't like, and were Judges themselves or used a corrupt legal system to do show trials or eliminate political problems (let rhe reader understand, as the Bible says). This, not the better legal system we can have is the analogy and it shows yet again that God cannot match the best morals (or justice) that humans can do OR the apologetics excuse that God does the use the moral code he supposedly gave us, but just acts like a dictator with political control and a lot of nukes.

This is not right, morality or justice, it is divine bullying and immorality and I thank random factors yet again that I don't believe a word of it and have to make reason, ethics and even intellectual honesty stand on its' head to try to make it somehow look credible, if only to myself.

(1) I must dredge up my old apologetic. 'Can the pot dictate to the potter?' Yes, and plainly, Paul never made a pot in his life, though he may have smashed a few in a bad temper and didn't see any problem with God doing that with his creation.

But, Mrs Trans and I did a pottery class together (house still contains some pretty nice pots we made) and i learned 'clay remembers'. And what this means is that, if you shape the pot wrong, you cannot force it to be right. And the pot isn't to blame, but the potter. The potter may throw the flawed pot on the floor and stamp on it but it is still the fault of the potter blaming the pot for his own bad work.
Your whole position stands on the false assumption that God is unjust. Since this is totally untrue, the whole of your position fails and yet it will be impossible to show you your error until the foundation is changed.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #337

Post by Mae von H »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:34 am

That's ridiculous.The Egyptians were not Hebrews and could not be excepted from what God was going to do to them. Are you saying God would have let his nasty little plan be foiled if the Egyptians decided to do what the Israelites did? If that had happened, God would simply have done his own dirty work and smit all those who were not Hebrews, even if they has splashed blood on their porches.

It is not editing out but making stuff up that doesn't work.Back to the drawing -board on that one.
You’re not well acquainted with the account. Egyptians who observed the Hebrew’s actions who did the same were spared some of the plagues. Even when the Hebrews left, non-Hebrews went with them.

Those officials of Pharaoh who feared the word of the LORD hurried to bring their slaves and their livestock inside. But those who ignored the word of the LORD left their slaves and livestock in the field.” (Exodus 9:20-21)

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #338

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Mae von H wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:06 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:23 am

Your whole position stands on the false assumption that God is unjust. Since this is totally untrue, the whole of your position fails and yet it will be impossible to show you your error until the foundation is changed.
You position rests on the assumption that the supposed god (name your own) is just, when the problem of evil questions the assumption of a just god, or even whether there is an intervening god at all, and that's even before we get the god of the Bible, which is demonstrably unjust by any moral code we use and has to be excused by the 'God can do what he likes' overrule.

But I thank you for perfectly displaying the basic, inherent and underlying fallacy of assuming as a Given what is being debated (God's goodness) that renders pretty much all Biblical apologetics irrational and invalid from the start.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #339

Post by benchwarmer »

I stand corrected. Pharaoh is really bad and surely deserves to be punished.
Hey, look at that. We agree on something :)
Ummm, how were the first born animals supposed to kill some lambs and save themselves? What about the slaves? You think they were free to go out and find a lamb to kill?

Leaving all that aside, you are tacitly admitting this God has no clue about what really resides in any of these human's hearts and minds. He requires them to slaughter some lambs and paint their doorways to signal to Himself that these people don't deserve the coming slaughter.

On top of that, the people/animals actually killed in this charade of justice are NOT necessarily the ones that had any choice! You do realize that infants would have been swept up in this right? What did the first born calf of every cow in Egypt have to do with any of this? Surely if you step back for a second you can at least see the punishment is not just for those who committed a crime?

What? No they didn't. The first born of every living thing faced judgement. Those who may or may not have done any crime got off free unless they also happened to be a first born. Did all the first born babies take part in this raping and pillaging you are talking about? What about those first born calves? You apologetics here are getting more and more ludicrous and not facing the facts (assuming this story is even true which it is quite likely not).

I'm happy to include whatever bits you like. Please point me to the bit where babies are not swept up in this mass killing and I'll relent.

Let's take this full circle now and show the hypocrisy on display here:

Your very first response to me in the previous reply was:
So Pharoah deserves judgment because he murdered countless babies correct? I assume so since you made a point about me missing that.

Now, how many babies did your God kill in this divine judgement while killing every first born?

This seems to be yet another case of "Do as I say, not as I do" coming from this Bible God. We're right back to "God can do no wrong" even if He is doing exactly what He is judging others for doing.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #340

Post by Mae von H »

benchwarmer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:49 am

I stand corrected. Pharaoh is really bad and surely deserves to be punished.
Hey, look at that. We agree on something :)
Ummm, how were the first born animals supposed to kill some lambs and save themselves? What about the slaves? You think they were free to go out and find a lamb to kill?
The Hebrews were slaves and had animals. Didn’t seem to be a problem. Animals are not humans. We even eat them.
Leaving all that aside, you are tacitly admitting this God has no clue about what really resides in any of these human's hearts and minds. He requires them to slaughter some lambs and paint their doorways to signal to Himself that these people don't deserve the coming slaughter.
There is no logical step between what I said and God’s not knowing the human heart. Can you please paint a bridge in there as to how you drew that conclusion. Or maybe you’re unaware that this was a visible picture of the coming lamb of God for them.
On top of that, the people/animals actually killed in this charade of justice are NOT necessarily the ones that had any choice! You do realize that infants would have been swept up in this right? What did the first born calf of every cow in Egypt have to do with any of this? Surely if you step back for a second you can at least see the punishment is not just for those who committed a crime?
When we sin, our offspring are affected. When we go right, our offspring are affected. It’s the way it is.

What? No they didn't. The first born of every living thing faced judgement. Those who may or may not have done any crime got off free unless they also happened to be a first born. Did all the first born babies take part in this raping and pillaging you are talking about? What about those first born calves? You apologetics here are getting more and more ludicrous and not facing the facts (assuming this story is even true which it is quite likely not).
We are likely reaching the point where you don’t see. I gave the scripture where Egyptians themselves were doing what the Israelites did to avoid the plagues. They had the chance to save their babies.

I'm happy to include whatever bits you like. Please point me to the bit where babies are not swept up in this mass killing and I'll relent.
I told you. Everyone, hebrew or not, who sacrificed a lamb was spared.
Let's take this full circle now and show the hypocrisy on display here:

Your very first response to me in the previous reply was:
So Pharoah deserves judgment because he murdered countless babies correct? I assume so since you made a point about me missing that.

Now, how many babies did your God kill in this divine judgement while killing every first born?

This seems to be yet another case of "Do as I say, not as I do" coming from this Bible God. We're right back to "God can do no wrong" even if He is doing exactly what He is judging others for doing.
The chances to escape punishment were available. The Hebrew men and women who saw their young boys murdered for no just reason saw the murderers suffer the same for just reasons. But you just don’t see it. And God was so kind as to provide an escape to anyone taking it, something the Egyptian soldiers didn’t do. But you don’t see it. Have we finished this point?