How do we know what is right, and what is wrong?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

How do we know what is right, and what is wrong?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

How do we know what is right, and what is wrong? For example, I think it is wrong to be a herbivore or a carnivore or an omnivore, or a parasite. I think all living things should be autotrophs. I think only autotrophs are good and the rest are evil. However, I am not certain that my thoughts are right. Can herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, and parasites become autotrophs at will? If so, why don't they? If they can't become autotrophs at will, is it really their fault that they are not autotrophs?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: How do we know what is right, and what is wrong?

Post #811

Post by boatsnguitars »

The Tanager wrote:So, if God then said raping a child is good, He would be wrong because of how He set reality up. You can apply that to any scenario you want.
This very clearly indicates that even in your mind, morals transcend God. They are beyond God's ability to dictate, which - again - throws you onto a horn of Euthyphro.

If morals are what they are, despite what God says, why are they Right? Just because?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

The Tanager
Savant

Post #812

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #811]

I don’t think there is anything new for either of us in this discussion. I’ve answered how God makes human morality objective. I’ve shared why my view isn’t “God said it, so it must be good” multiple times. I’ve specifically shared why my view splits the false Euthyphro dilemma. I’ve shared why reason alone can’t get one to objective morals. Reason has a starting point and your starting point isn’t objective, so it takes you to subjective morality. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and allowing me to share mine.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #813

Post by boatsnguitars »

You didn't sum that up correctly, but I wouldn't expect you to get it right, since you haven't been right about any of it.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #814

Post by kjw47 »

Compassionist wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:42 pm How do we know what is right, and what is wrong? For example, I think it is wrong to be a herbivore or a carnivore or an omnivore, or a parasite. I think all living things should be autotrophs. I think only autotrophs are good and the rest are evil. However, I am not certain that my thoughts are right. Can herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, and parasites become autotrophs at will? If so, why don't they? If they can't become autotrophs at will, is it really their fault that they are not autotrophs?
Simple-listen to Jesus--Man does not live by bread alone but by every utterance from God--All who love God and his son, learn and apply-EVERY utterance from God=OT-NT study never stops. The only teachers on earth who have Jesus leading them, teach EVERY utterance from God to the flock, without fail. All can look at their preacher this very minute and see if they actually have listened to Jesus, otherwise they have found-these2Cor 11:1215)

Mae von H
Sage

Post #815

Post by Mae von H »

Compassionist wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:42 pm How do we know what is right, and what is wrong? For example, I think it is wrong to be a herbivore or a carnivore or an omnivore, or a parasite. I think all living things should be autotrophs. I think only autotrophs are good and the rest are evil. However, I am not certain that my thoughts are right. Can herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, and parasites become autotrophs at will? If so, why don't they? If they can't become autotrophs at will, is it really their fault that they are not autotrophs?
So have you ceased eating altogether or do you just live every moment under the condemnation that you, yourself, are evil in your eyes?

mrrobot1994

Post #816

Post by mrrobot1994 »

God doesn’t have to have ever spoken to anyone at all in order for people to know what the Bible says is right and wrong
I determine what is right or wrong according to the Bible by reading and studying the Bible. phim sex hàn quốc
I determine what is right or wrong according to direct prophetic communication with God by paying attention when He speaks to me directly.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #817

Post by Diogenes »

mrrobot1994 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:15 am God doesn’t have to have ever spoken to anyone at all in order for people to know what the Bible says is right and wrong
I determine what is right or wrong according to the Bible by reading and studying the Bible. phim sex hàn quốc
I determine what is right or wrong according to direct prophetic communication with God by paying attention when He speaks to me directly.
Then you believe mass genocide is good [the flood, God's many commands to his people to annihilate competing tribes]; you believe if a 'god' tells you to murder your son, you should do it ['Binding of Isaac']; that leaders like Trump and Hitler should be obeyed since they were given 'authority' by God [Paul in Romans]; and on and on....

TheHolyGhost
Banned
Banned

Post #818

Post by TheHolyGhost »

Compassionist wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:42 pm How do we know what is right, and what is wrong?
By doing what is right and not doing what is wrong. 8-) 8-) 8-)