What is truth?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

What is truth?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

So Pilate said to him: “Well, then, are you a king?� Jesus answered: “You yourself are saying that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice.� Pilate said to him: “What is truth?� - John 18:37, 38

I can imagine Pilate snickering as he says, "What is truth?" after Jesus confirms that Jesus himself was born to bear witness to the truth. That only those who are in the side of the truth will listen to his voice.

How would you answer Pilate? Do you think you could persuade Pilate as to the truth about Jesus? If so, how and if you don't think you could why not?

tam
Savant

Re: What is truth?

Post #21

Post by tam »

Peace to you EJ,
Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 19 by tam]

Which is it, that Christ came to bear witness to the Truth? Of that he himself IS the truth.
Both.

Your first use of "truth" could be capitalized or not. But the second "truth" should be capitalized because this is a title (like the Life; the Good Shepherd; the Lamb of God; the Light; the Resurrection; the Messiah, the Chosen One of Jah; the Word of God, etc).

Each of these titles have meaning, just as His name has a meaning and describes both who and what He is - as well as what He does.

Christ is the Truth. He is the Truth of God/God's Truth - the One who reveals God to us. He is the Truth and as such, He speaks truth; and so truth comes from Him. We can know that anything He says and teaches is truth, because He IS the Truth. How could the Truth speak falsehoods? He teaches and reveals to us all that is true (about God, certainly, but also about anything). He is the Living Truth of the Living God; the Living Image of the Living God; the Living Word of the Living God.

If both statements are true, then Christ bears witness to himself. Something that he said he didn't do, according to the Gospel of John, right?
I am unaware of any such statement.

Did He not speak the truth about Himself on multiple occasions? If He came to bear witness to the truth (any and all truth), then would that not necessarily also include the truth about Himself?

Here is some testimony in John:

When [Jesus] spoke again to the people, He said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

The Pharisees challenged him, "Here you are appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid."

[Jesus] answered, "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I come from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. But if I do judge, my decisions are right, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father who sent me. In your own law it is written that the testimony of two men is valid. I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the one who sent me - the Father." John 8:12-18

He does not ALONE testify for Himself (more than one witness is required in order for testimony to be considered valid; although truth is truth even if only one person testifies to it... I think the law simply requires that things be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses). His Father is also a witness on His behalf. Earlier, He mentions that that John (the baptist) testifies about Him as well, and on His behalf.

Saying that "Christ is the truth" is meaningless, and circular.
Not at all. Titles and names have meaning (see above); maybe not so much in western culture, but with God, there is meaning to names and titles, and other cultures understand this and name accordingly.

Christ is the Life (and there is also the state of being alive). We come to Him to receive life.

God is Love (and there is also the emotion and action, love).

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

JumpingJackFlash
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by JumpingJackFlash »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:38 am "What is truth?"
God

The only people who give a lie any creditability are liars.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #23

Post by 2timothy316 »

JumpingJackFlash wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:49 pm
God
Is everything from God truth?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #24

Post by onewithhim »

2timothy316 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:45 pm
JumpingJackFlash wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:49 pm
God
Is everything from God truth?
Of course. And there is ONE truth. There can't be many truths. Churches teach that there is a literal hell-fire. Others say that there is no hell-fire. Which is right? They can't both be right. We just have to find that one truth that God honors us with, as found in His book. We have to learn what is literal and what is allegorical. (For example, an allegory would be at Luke 16: 19-31.)