Should skeptics be skeptical of their skepticism?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Flail

Post #1

Post by Flail »

Jester proposed this on another thread and I found it to be a compelling challenge we should all take into consideration. Many in this forum profess to be skeptics, some more so than others, myself included. It has now been pointed out that skeptics are often the last to question their own position on a matter, perhaps to their detriment. It was suggested that we should all challenge our own positions on all matters and be skeptical of our particular positions and beliefs regardless of how strongly we hold them. This, to me seems not only logical, but a reasonable approach to relating to and communicating with one another on any topic no matter how divisive and emotional. Not only should skeptics check their positions, but non-skeptics should at least become skeptical of their own beliefs whenever possible IMO.

Question for debate:

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Should skeptics be skeptical of their skepticism?

Post #31

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:30 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:36 am I enjoyed that.

Of course, I have to find my theist hat again, and what we get is to set aside a 'f.s.o.a position. That it works better without God, religion or Bible being true and is thus the go -to option (humanism) even if it was true...sorta... means the debate is already pointless. But if we have it, then we get the claim that somehow God is behind it, if not intervening with answered prayer or the occasional intervention and always with the moral code behind it.

But as you say, that could all be a lie. Indeed, it would make more sense if it was. God looks less like a perfect and just ruler than an absolute thug who tells his propaganda machine to tell everyone they are good and perfect (You will never know how much I longed for a subliminal cut of Xi just there) which is where the Theist hat goes on and the Apologists double down with the faithclaims.'Good and Just is the nature of God'.

Who says so?

Well...the Bible does.

Who wrote that, then?
I mean, the only thing that breaks this, is if God isn't actually on top. He's trying to help, but for certain reasons he can't.

If that's so, he'll help in ways that are useful to good people. He won't try to bully people into doing the right thing by making it seem like it's not the right thing, but saying he knows best and he'll be mad otherwise so you'd better do it.

I like treating everything as true. I'm a nerd and I enjoy my "if"s. The story of Job taught me a lot about God and the Devil, and who's who. One, willing to do any harm, to the one least deserving of it, to win an argument and prove a point. The other might just be sitting there, willing to participate in that, precisely because it really is a breadcrumb, which is all he can give, but it ends up in the right mouths.
Well,there we go. If we learn anything from invented stories (it's why I quote from Startrek, Peanuts or LoR rather than the Bible) it is about the human condition, and I do not want Believers with an agenda trying to suck us into buying their religious counterfeit merchandise.

Just take Job. Does anyone think it is a real story and not just a parable? Can we get any message from it other than 'what a horrible and incompetent person this god is'? It is up to the individual but I cannot do other than feel a certain pity for anyone who goes to their Bible for anything other than a lesson how to fool people. As the mustwatch video "Losing Faith" says, 'a perfect system for protecting lies'. I want nothing from it other than to expose the lies.