Jesus is God: Jesus committed no sin

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Jesus is God: Jesus committed no sin

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

You are a sinner, God is not and has no sin.

Jesus is not a sinner.

Therefore Jesus is God.

Did Jesus commit sin? Is Jesus a sinner?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Jesus is God: Jesus committed no sin

Post #31

Post by Wootah »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:22 pm
terrydactyl wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:36 pm
God is not and has no sin.
An issue. Who defines what 'sin' is? If God defines it, then God cannot sin because he says so.

:) :) Of course. Then it becomes meaningless, except in the view of the person or persons (collectively) defining it. This is what the demands of the believers for and Objective morality are invalid because there is no such thing. It is only preferences, and the question is, are they human preferences or those of a god? And if the latter, which one?

And if one, then why does its' creation have different versions of the same basic moral instinct, as we do with art and music? It is the same in basis, but different, culturally.

Thus the evidence is that we have a moral instinct as we do with art and music - and religion. But they differ culturally.

That is why religion is a preference, not a truth. There is an argument that the common instincts we have are down to a creator, but is it a 'Creator'or evolved instinct? I see a possible debate about that but for me, the debate that a particular god or religion gets the right to say what morality should be is not even be an issue.
Might makes right is way more philosophically grounded than we realise.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Jesus is God: Jesus committed no sin

Post #32

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Wootah wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:09 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:22 pm
terrydactyl wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:36 pm
God is not and has no sin.
An issue. Who defines what 'sin' is? If God defines it, then God cannot sin because he says so.

:) :) Of course. Then it becomes meaningless, except in the view of the person or persons (collectively) defining it. This is what the demands of the believers for and Objective morality are invalid because there is no such thing. It is only preferences, and the question is, are they human preferences or those of a god? And if the latter, which one?

And if one, then why does its' creation have different versions of the same basic moral instinct, as we do with art and music? It is the same in basis, but different, culturally.

Thus the evidence is that we have a moral instinct as we do with art and music - and religion. But they differ culturally.

That is why religion is a preference, not a truth. There is an argument that the common instincts we have are down to a creator, but is it a 'Creator'or evolved instinct? I see a possible debate about that but for me, the debate that a particular god or religion gets the right to say what morality should be is not even be an issue.
Might makes right is way more philosophically grounded than we realise.
I don't know how far philosophers have got with this, but I realised back in the 80's that Might does not make Right, but it doesn't do much good being Right unless you have a bit of might to back it up. Religion is as much to blame for this view - 'we have the Numbers, so we are right - or at least, we are going to get our own way'.