Questioning God's Chosen Communication

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Questioning God's Chosen Communication

Post #1

Post by POI »

The Tanager wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:03 pm (1) Why would an omniscient God reveal to ancient societies the questions that modern scientific communities would be interested in? (2) Why would God care more about making scientific knowledge available in these texts versus addressing how He wanted humans to live?
For debate: Does the provided video below answer the above two questions sufficiently? If not, why not? If so, then I guess God is inept?

In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Questioning God's Chosen Communication

Post #401

Post by Clownboat »

Mae von H wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:22 pm There actually are friend concepts. Some, for example, think friendship means you’d do anything for a friend including commit a crime. That’s one concept.

Now it’s your turn to offer a “god concept” although we ought to specify which god? People have idolized or thought of clay statues as gods or rock stars. Which deity do you mean? If we don’t specify that, there are endless objects of human worship.
All you did was provide a personal definition for the word friendship.
Friendship: Doing anything for a friend, including committing a crime.
Sorry, but I'm not finding this friend concept idea of yours to be very interesting nor informative to be honest.

I do appreciate you for providing evidence that the word 'god' is fairly meaningless. On this you have my agreement. As far as god concepts go, humans have been inventing them for possibly up to 200,000 years. We know that god concepts come and go. They seem to be a mechanism humans have been using for thousands of years to explain things that are unknown (Where did we come from? Where do we go when we die? Why is it ok to commit genocide against my neighboring humans and to take their virgin girls and livestock).

Far too many people turn this mechanism for knowing unknowable things into the type of idolized thing you mentioned above. Why... because humans fear what they don't understand and therefore have invented god concepts to remove said fear.

Why do you think humans have invented so many god concepts over the years?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Questioning God's Chosen Communication

Post #402

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Excellent.I had a chuckle at that.I was going to respond to Mae'slast but I don't need to because you did it better.

I was goinmg to refer to the fallacy of the beard, where one can disprove the existence of beards because no -one can say where whishers end and beards begin.

Nor indeed, where deserving heaven ends and deserving hell begins. Which actually suggests that heaven and hell are unworkable and invalid ideas.

Just so, emotions that drive friendship - and indeed enmity as study of military history has shown me that, while inflicting unspeakable cruelty on enemy soldiers, they can also show friendship with the enemy they can respect and indeed sympathise with. Where do these curious and malleable feelings become the rules, commands or download -inputs of a god? When I look for the join, like in music, where some looked for the basis of music without human input and preferences, there was none.