Nuda Scriptura?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Nuda Scriptura?

Post #1

Post by historia »

One of the foremost principles of the Protestant Reformation is sola scriptura, or "Scritpure alone."

For the Reformers, sola scriptura entailed the belief that the Bible is the sole infallible source of authority for Christian faith and practice. That doesn't, in itself, exclude the place of other authorities, including tradition and the creeds -- as Luther and Calvin's regular quoting of Augustine and other Church Fathers demonstrates -- just so long as these are considered as lesser authorities to the Bible.

However, in 19th Century America, some Protestants of a Baptist persuasion began to take this Reformation principle further, arguing that Christians should ignore tradition and the creeds and treat the Bible as the only authority for Christian faith and practice, period. In 1826, Alexander Campbell famously put it this way: "I have endeavored to read the scriptures as though no one had read them before me; and I am as much on my guard against reading them today, through the medium of my own views yesterday, or a week ago, as I am against being influenced by any foreign name, authority, or system, whatever" (source).

This latter view is sometimes called nuda scriptura, or "bare Scripture," to distinguish it from the historic Reformation view.

Question for debate:

Should Christians:

(a) follow the principle of sola scriptura (as Luther and Calvin understood it)
(b) follow the principle of nuda scriptura (as defined above)
(c) follow neither principle

And why?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Nuda Scriptura?

Post #71

Post by onewithhim »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:32 pm
onewithhim wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:19 pm
tam wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:10 pm Peace to you,

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:38 am
onewithhim wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 am
Didn't I say that JWs do research on their own to confirm the accuracy of the literature that the GB provides? I for one don't read anything "in perfect order" like the GB might be telling us. They do not tell us to read something in their own stated sequences. We can read anything, including other versions of the Bible and writings by worldly writers. Many of us are reading the Bible from front to back on our own. You are making unfair assertions.
This is what detractors do. They don't trust the GB and they want to sow their distrust to everyone else. They don't listen to the FDS and they want others to do the same. All those former 'Witnesses' were never Jehovah's Witnesses. They let the human element of God's Organization stumble them. Just as those Jews who were stumbled because the Son of God looked like a mere man and could be killed like a mere man. They wouldn't follow Jesus because of this fact, he was just a man. This was brilliant on Jehovah's part to sift through who's hearts were really toward God and separate the haughty and self-righteous from His followers. The FDS and GB are just men too. Imperfect men to boot. This will stumble many and Jehovah is in His brilliance once again uses imperfect men to keep His Earthly Organization free of haughty and selfish people.
Are you actually comparing the GB to Christ?

The GB is not Christ.

We are supposed to be obeying Christ, listening to Christ, following Christ.

The GB teaches false things (just as human as 'the pope' and other religious leaders.) The GB teaches people to listen to them instead of to Christ. Oh, they might not come straight out and say that. But the end result is the same.

**I apologize for the quick tangent (though obviously a conversation about following the bible and/or men and creeds/traditions may include a discussion about the GB as just one leader of religion.)

Peace still to you and to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
The GB is not being compared to Christ. And they don't tell us not to listen to Christ. They listen to him as well, and relay His instructions on to us. Christ is the head of our world-wide congregation and we follow Him.
Why do you need a GB to "relay His instructions"? Weren't they written down? Isn't the "anointing" the source of one's teachings (1 John 2:27)?

1 John 2:27 And as for you, the anointing you received from Him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But just as His true and genuine anointing teaches you about all things, so remain in Him as you have been taught.
i am not anointed. The GB are all anointed. They are Christ's brothers. We show them respect and listen when they direct us to the Scriptures.

tam
Savant

Post #72

Post by tam »

Peace to you all,
onewithhim wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:32 am [Replying to tam in post #63]

The GB hasn't made any mistakes concerning doctrine. And we all have studied the Bible to see that those doctrines are correct.
How is a person supposed to respond to something like this?

To deny that the GB has made mistakes (concerning doctrine or anything else)... that is well... just denial. The religion itself admits to making mistakes.

Here is just one (of many) that they admit to (never mind those they have not admitted to or even realize):
For a number of years, our publications have explained that Gog of Magog is the name given to Satan the Devil after his ouster from heaven. This explanation was based on the fact that the book of Revelation identifies Satan the Devil as the leader of the worldwide attack on God’s people. (Rev. 12:1-17) So it was thought that Gog must be another prophetic name for Satan.
Later in the same article:
We are told that at the end of the 1,000 years, Satan will be released from the abyss, and “he will go out to mislead those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together for the war.” (Rev. 20:8) But how can Satan mislead Gog if he himself is Gog? Therefore, “Gog” does not refer to Satan in either Ezekiel’s prophecy or the book of Revelation.
https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines ... -of-magog/

So the GB never read that passage in Revelation before? Millions of jws never read that passage during their 'search of the scriptures to confirm the literature' the GB provides?

Peace still to you.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

tam
Savant

Post #73

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
2timothy316 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:31 pm
The GB is not being compared to Christ. And they don't tell us not to listen to Christ. They listen to him as well, and relay His instructions on to us. Christ is the head of our world-wide congregation and we follow Him.
Funny eh, how our posts are twisted just slightly to claim something we never said. Where have I see that trick before? Oh yes I remember.

"Did God really say that you must not eat from every tree of the garden?” Gen 3:1
You might not see that you said it. But you said it. You said people reject the GB for the same reason people rejected Christ: the 'human element'. Not only is that NOT true (many Jews were expecting a human as their messiah), reasons people rejected Christ include that they were not His sheep (John 10:26, 27), they were not on the side of the truth (John 18:37), they did not listen to God (John 6:45).

I DO want the truth, I DO love Christ, and my Father in heaven drew me to HIS SON when I asked Him to lead me where HE wanted me to be. I belong to Christ and I am one of HIS sheep.

Peace again to you all,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #74

Post by 2timothy316 »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:36 pm i am not anointed. The GB are all anointed. They are Christ's brothers. We show them respect and listen when they direct us to the Scriptures.
"Philip ran alongside and heard him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said: “Do you actually know what you are reading?” He said: “Really, how could I ever do so unless someone guided me?” So he urged Philip to get on and sit down with him." Acts 8:30, 31

This set the precedent. The scripture clearly shows that going it alone can only get you so far. Even back in the 1st century there were those explaining the scriptures to others. Yes, an imperfect anointed man.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #75

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:36 pm

Didn't I say that JWs do research on their own to confirm the accuracy of the literature that the GB provides? I for one don't read anything "in perfect order" like the GB might be telling us. They do not tell us to read something in their own stated sequences. We can read anything, including other versions of the Bible and writings by worldly writers. Many of us are reading the Bible from front to back on our own. You are making unfair assertions.
This is what detractors do. They don't trust the GB and they want to sow their distrust to everyone else. They don't listen to the FDS and they want others to do the same. All those former 'Witnesses' were never Jehovah's Witnesses. They let the human element of God's Organization stumble them. Just as those Jews who were stumbled because the Son of God looked like a mere man and could be killed like a mere man. They wouldn't follow Jesus because of this fact, he was just a man. This was brilliant on Jehovah's part to sift through who's hearts were really toward God and separate the haughty and self-righteous from His followers. The FDS and GB are just men too. Imperfect men to boot. This will stumble many and Jehovah is in His brilliance once again uses imperfect men to keep His Earthly Organization free of haughty and selfish people.

The GB is not Christ.

The GB teaches false things (just as human as 'the pope' and other religious leaders.) The GB teaches people to listen to them instead of to Christ. Oh, they might not come straight out and say that. But the end result is the same.

**I apologize for the quick tangent (though obviously a conversation about following the bible and/or men and creeds/traditions may include a discussion about the GB as just one leader of religion.)

tammy
Why do you need a GB to "relay His instructions"? Weren't they written down? Isn't the "anointing" the source of one's teachings (1 John 2:27)?

1 John 2:27 And as for you, the anointing you received from Him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But just as His true and genuine anointing teaches you about all things, so remain in Him as you have been taught.
i am not anointed. The GB are all anointed. They are Christ's brothers. We show them respect and listen when they direct us to the Scriptures.
The anointing means to be anointed by the Spirit of God, such as being baptized, born in the Spirit of God (1 John 3:9). If you are not baptized in the Spirit of God, what are you doing teaching those on this medium. 1 John 2:24-27 is about abiding in the message from the beginning, which would be the Word of God, the Law and the prophets, and this message in 1 John 2:27 was to the "little children", not to some self-appointed GB.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #76

Post by 2timothy316 »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:56 pm

The GB is not Christ.

tammy

The anointing means to be anointed by the Spirit of God, such as being baptized, born in the Spirit of God (1 John 3:9). If you are not baptized in the Spirit of God, what are you doing teaching those on this medium. 1 John 2:24-27 is about abiding in the message from the beginning, which would be the Word of God, the Law and the prophets, and this message in 1 John 2:27 was to the "little children", not to some self-appointed GB.
“Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?”​—Matthew 24:45.
Explain who this scripture is talking about. Who is appointed over the master's domestics?

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #77

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:44 am

The GB is not Christ.

tammy

“Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?”​—Matthew 24:45.
Explain who this scripture is talking about. Who is appointed over the master's domestics?
Apparently, what is important, is who will dig out, "gather" out the "tares"/"wicked" (Mt 13:27-42), the followers of the false gospel of grace/lawlessness, and then throw them into the "fire"/"furnace of fire" (great tribulation)(Mt 13:30), and that would be the "reapers"/"angels" (Mt 13:41). The head of the Gentile church is Peter and Paul, and Peter was placed "in charge of the royal house" (Isaiah 22:15 & Mt 16), who was soon "deposed" (Isaiah 22:19) , and "cast into a vast country" (Rome), and who was given the keys of David, which were handed down to his heir, the pope (Isaiah 22:15-25), who will "fall" "in that day", the day of the LORD, and all hanging onto him, will be cut-off (Is 22:25). In the end, as described in Ezekiel 34, the leaders/fat shepherds, such as Peter's heir, the pope, will be judged, and destroyed, for not feeding or healing the sheep. As for Mt 24:45, it is the "sensible slave", who will be put in charge, and he will "cut in pieces" those who drink with drunkards.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #78

Post by 2timothy316 »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:47 pm

The GB is not Christ.

tammy

Apparently, what is important, is who will dig out, "gather" out the "tares"/"wicked" (Mt 13:27-42), the followers of the false gospel of grace/lawlessness, and then throw them into the "fire"/"furnace of fire" (great tribulation)(Mt 13:30), and that would be the "reapers"/"angels" (Mt 13:41). The head of the Gentile church is Peter and Paul, and Peter was placed "in charge of the royal house" (Isaiah 22:15 & Mt 16), who was soon "deposed" (Isaiah 22:19) , and "cast into a vast country" (Rome), and who was given the keys of David, which were handed down to his heir, the pope (Isaiah 22:15-25), who will "fall" "in that day", the day of the LORD, and all hanging onto him, will be cut-off (Is 22:25). In the end, as described in Ezekiel 34, the leaders/fat shepherds, such as Peter's heir, the pope, will be judged, and destroyed, for not feeding or healing the sheep. As for Mt 24:45, it is the "sensible slave", who will be put in charge, and he will "cut in pieces" those who drink with drunkards.
This doesn't explain Matthew 24:45 though. There is no mention of a false gospel at Matthew 24:45. What you have posted is just a mess of broken scriptures that don't go together. What is important to you doesn't really matter vs Matthew 24:45. Care to try again? Or can you not identify the "faithful and discreet slave" today?
What is the food that is being given? What does it mean to give 'food at the proper time'?

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #79

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:01 pm

The GB is not Christ.

tammy

This doesn't explain Matthew 24:45 though. There is no mention of a false gospel at Matthew 24:45. What you have posted is just a mess of broken scriptures that don't go together. What is important to you doesn't really matter vs Matthew 24:45. Care to try again? Or can you not identify the "faithful and discreet slave" today?
What is the food that is being given? What does it mean to give 'food at the proper time'?
The "food" that Yeshua gave, and ate, was the "bread of life", without the "leaven" of the Pharisees (Paul), such as what was eaten at the last supper, such as pointed out in Mt 4:4, which is "every word that proceeds out of the Mouth of God", which is glorified as the "Word made flesh". The food, water, clothing, healing (James 5:16), and shelter of Mt 25, is with respect to the physical needs being given to the hungry, thirsty, etc.. With respect to the "end", well, the "shepherds", "fat" leaders, will be judged for eating the "fat" of the fat sheep, and not feeding, or healing the flock. They will be "destroyed" (Ezekiel 34:1- 16). Do you "heal" the flock? If not, then you have apparently fallen short of the expectations you are expounding on. Your emphasis on one quote, out of context of the whole actual scripture, kind of falls short. The "faithful" would include "the saints who keep the commandments of God" (Rev 14:12) and escape drinking from the "cup of His anger" (Rev 14:10).

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #80

Post by 2timothy316 »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:01 pm

The GB is not Christ.

tammy

The "food" that Yeshua gave, and ate, was the "bread of life", without the "leaven" of the Pharisees (Paul), such as what was eaten at the last supper, such as pointed out in Mt 4:4, which is "every word that proceeds out of the Mouth of God", which is glorified as the "Word made flesh". The food, water, clothing, healing (James 5:16), and shelter of Mt 25, is with respect to the physical needs being given to the hungry, thirsty, etc.. With respect to the "end", well, the "shepherds", "fat" leaders, will be judged for eating the "fat" of the fat sheep, and not feeding, or healing the flock. They will be "destroyed" (Ezekiel 34:1- 16). Do you "heal" the flock? If not, then you have apparently fallen short of the expectations you are expounding on. Your emphasis on one quote, out of context of the whole actual scripture, kind of falls short. The "faithful" would include "the saints who keep the commandments of God" (Rev 14:12) and escape drinking from the "cup of His anger" (Rev 14:10).
You're still short on what that scripture means for us today. It is not of out context either as I am asking for the explanation of the scripture from you and I'm still waiting for an answer that isn't some slap-dash response of scripture fragments from 5 different books of the Bible to make sentences.

I will say that your food explanation is not in harmony with scripture. It was not just what was eaten at the last supper. Luke 12:42 which is a parallel scripture says, "Who really is the faithful steward, the discreet one, whom his master will appoint over his body of attendants to keep giving them their measure of food supplies at the proper time?"

What food are the steward to keep giving? You say the food given was a one time deal at the last supper but that doesn't fit with scripture. Also, in context there is no indication that the food is literal. Ready to try again and back peddle? Also, just pulling bits a pieces of scriptures from all around the Bible to make sentences isn't a convincing argument as there is no indication that the scriptures you post have anything to do with the who the steward is or what the food represents.