Prayer

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Prayer

Post #1

Post by POI »

For Debate: Is prayer just talking to yourself? If not, why not? Sure, prayer may make one feel satisfied/other, but there is likely no agency, on the other side, facilitating such desired response(s).

People pray to many differing god(s) and/or other. Statistically speaking, many god(s) and/or other aren't answering, as many of these god(s) and/or other likely do not even exist. Hence, at least in part, many are merely talking to themselves in prayer. If many of the desired result(s) can happen in prayer, without any agency actually responding, because such agency does not exist, then it's quite plausible this is the case for all prayer.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Re: Prayer

Post #61

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:27 am ...when you quoted the Quran's 'belief' in Jesus back at me, were you ignorant that the Quran says that Jesus did not die on the cross or any of the other doctrinal things Christian believe about him, or did you know and hope I wouldn't check? ...
It is irrelevant, if it doesn't revoke that Quran says we should believe Jesus. Are you saying Quran is contradictory?

But, now that it seems you want to change the subject from something you don't like, I can say, in a way it is true that Jesus didn't die on the cross, because he continued in death and after it, by what the Bible tells. If Quran says Jesus was not in death, I think it is wrong. Still, it doesn't change that according to it, we should believe Jesus.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #62

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:23 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:27 am ...when you quoted the Quran's 'belief' in Jesus back at me, were you ignorant that the Quran says that Jesus did not die on the cross or any of the other doctrinal things Christian believe about him, or did you know and hope I wouldn't check? ...
It is irrelevant, if it doesn't revoke that Quran says we should believe Jesus. Are you saying Quran is contradictory?

But, now that it seems you want to change the subject from something you don't like, I can say, in a way it is true that Jesus didn't die on the cross, because he continued in death and after it, by what the Bible tells. If Quran says Jesus was not in death, I think it is wrong. Still, it doesn't change that according to it, we should believe Jesus.
If you think this crafty evasiveness is going to impress even believers, I think you are wrong. "that Quran says we should believe Jesus." is like a trickster trying to fool people with a scam they have seen through. The Quran says Jesus was a prophet of God, but was not God incarnate, did not die on the cross and was raised to heaven as a person who hadn't died.

I'm not changing the subject, ut you are trying to fiddle the denial of Jesus death on the cross to mean both that it is right that Jesus didn't die on the cross (when Christian dogma requires that he did) and that the Quran is wrong in saying he didn't. Make up your mind :)
This all goes back to #51 deriving from my comment on rival and contradictory Holy Books when you were debating a claim that God can message all of us, but the contradictory results indicate we are all making religious beliefs up.

And the final quotemine cheat 'it says we should believe Jesus', when the Quran (if you had only bothered to look at it) roundly says those who believe the Christian view of Jesus are wrong.This sort of wriggling, trickery and evasiveness - and hardly for the first time - really do make Bible apologetics look bad.

POI
Prodigy

Post #63

Post by POI »

Not satisfied with the given theist answers, to this point. I offer up posts 52 and 58 for a response. Why is prayer not merely talking to yourself?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Mae von H
Sage

Post #64

Post by Mae von H »

POI wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:22 pm For Debate: Is prayer just talking to yourself? If not, why not? Sure, prayer may make one feel satisfied/other, but there is likely no agency, on the other side, facilitating such desired response(s).

People pray to many differing god(s) and/or other. Statistically speaking, many god(s) and/or other aren't answering, as many of these god(s) and/or other likely do not even exist. Hence, at least in part, many are merely talking to themselves in prayer. If many of the desired result(s) can happen in prayer, without any agency actually responding, because such agency does not exist, then it's quite plausible this is the case for all prayer.
All true or possibly true. However, the Father of Jesus Christ not only can respond, He can actually communicate to those who meet his criteria for being able to hear. I cannot speak to other objects of prayer. Some are real and might do the bidding but these are evil and that bidding often fits in with their agenda. Some are not real and so one is talking to oneself for sure.

But I have experienced more answers from Him than I can count that go beyond luck. Of course while these encourage my faith as well as my understanding, they are of little help to others. But my communication with Him includes what He wants me to do and I had better do so. And living by obeying Him, one's prayers have some power that does not occur in the disobedient.

So does God answer all prayers? No, definately not. He does not say "no," He does not say anything and there are reasons for this. He himself says he will not answer prayers at times. The reason is also given but no christian wants to know of these. So they tell themselves He always answers even if they see and hear no answer at all. That is nicer than we need to do something to see the hand of God released. That is very unpopular.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #65

Post by Mae von H »

POI wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 pm Not satisfied with the given theist answers, to this point. I offer up posts 52 and 58 for a response. Why is prayer not merely talking to yourself?
Depends upon who you are addressing whether they are there at all or whether they are listening at all.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #66

Post by Masterblaster »

Mae von H wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 am
POI wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 pm Not satisfied with the given theist answers, to this point. I offer up posts 52 and 58 for a response. Why is prayer not merely talking to yourself?
Depends upon who you are addressing whether they are there at all or whether they are listening at all.
Hello

Prayer
- self- mutterings....Yes!
- a cry for help.....Yes!
- a message in a bottle......Yes!
- a radio transmission to the cosmos...Yes!
- an act of desperation.....Yes!
- a re- reinvigorating mantra...Yes!

I could probably do 20...'a cry for help and protection to the Great Out-there', is my staple modus. All of what we do is us talking to ourselves, POI, take me washing my Tesla, on the front drive-way every Saturday morning.

The Our Father is my go-to.

Thanks
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Mae von H
Sage

Post #67

Post by Mae von H »

Masterblaster wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 am
Hello
Hello
Prayer

I could probably do 20...'a cry for help and protection to the Great Out-there', is my staple modus. All of what we do is us talking to ourselves, POI, take me washing my Tesla, on the front drive-way every Saturday morning.

Thanks
You know, when I read this and think about it, anyone with this view is very likely talking to themselves so it might be that you have spoken truly.

Savant

Post #68

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:54 am .."that Quran says we should believe Jesus." is like a trickster trying to fool people with a scam they have seen through...
So, you think it doesn't say what I said?
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:54 amThe Quran says Jesus was a prophet of God, but was not God incarnate, did not die on the cross and was raised to heaven as a person who hadn't died.
Bible also doesn't say Jesus is God incarnate.

Where it is said in the Quran that Jesus did no die on the cross?
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:54 amAnd the final quotemine cheat 'it says we should believe Jesus', when the Quran (if you had only bothered to look at it) roundly says those who believe the Christian view of Jesus are wrong....
Unfortunately many "Christians" have a wrong views that are not based on the Bible.

Savant

Post #69

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:11 pm ...How do you know that when you pray, you are not just taking to yourself?
How do you know you are not talking to a bot?

I believe God hears every prayer. But, I can't prove it in a way that could not leave room for disbelief, sorry.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #70

Post by Masterblaster »

Mae von H wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 am
Masterblaster wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 am
Hello
Hello
Prayer

Thanks
You know, when I read this and think about it, anyone with this view is very likely talking to themselves so it might be that you have spoken truly.
Hello MvH

I cannot dress it up for you. I cannot make it interesting for you. That is just the way I roll!
Thanks
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'