Money!

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Money!

Post #1

Post by POI »

Otseng states the following: "No, being rich is not bad. We have many rich men in the Bible (Abraham, Joseph, Job, David, Solomon, Matthew, Joseph of Arimathea, etc.) and they were not condemned for being rich."

Otseng, and myself, had a recent discussion about Jesus's mention of the rich. He ultimately expressed the above. In an effort to keep the other topic on track, I'm making this new one.

For debate:

1. Is being 'rich' a relative term, or is it instead objective when Jesus/God identifies you as 'rich'?
2. How do you know if Jesus/God deems you as rich or not?
3. Seems Otseng is saying that being rich can change your focus. Money instead becomes your numero uno, or God. And this is why he tells folks to get rid of it, so they no longer prioritize the money/possessions over God. Is this the gist of it here?
4. If being rich is okay, why did Jesus choose to be "poor"? Or did he even have a choice?
5. Would Jesus rather you be rich or poor, and why? Would he choose for you to instead be poor because he knows you may covet these material possessions over him? If so, isn't being rich worse than being poor, according to Jesus?
6. If being rich is such a high risk for no longer keeping your focus on numero uno, (Jesus), then why do so many Christians strive to become rich?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Re: Money!

Post #61

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 pm
1213 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 am
POI wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm And to assure money does not rule people, he tells his true followers to give it all away....
Please show the scripture that says so.
...You already know there exists verse(s), which demonstrate my given claim. ...
Sorry, I don't think that is true.

Savant

Post #62

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am I have already done so - but your excuse is that Jesus is no longer on earth, so you can ignore what he said to do, if it doesn't suit you. But that's what Christian do, anyway. There is also Matthew on the birds and lilies and giving no thought to tomorrow, and parables about not storing up treasure on earth but treasure in heaven. But when it is inconvenient for you, you ignore, deny or 'Interpret' it so it doesn't inconvenience you.
If you are referring to the rich young man that asked what should he do to be perfect, why do you think it was to all his true followers? And why do you think it means no Christian can own anything ever?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #63

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:05 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am I have already done so - but your excuse is that Jesus is no longer on earth, so you can ignore what he said to do, if it doesn't suit you. But that's what Christian do, anyway. There is also Matthew on the birds and lilies and giving no thought to tomorrow, and parables about not storing up treasure on earth but treasure in heaven. But when it is inconvenient for you, you ignore, deny or 'Interpret' it so it doesn't inconvenience you.
If you are referring to the rich young man that asked what should he do to be perfect, why do you think it was to all his true followers? And why do you think it means no Christian can own anything ever?
Because the advice to one wealthy person applies to all, doesn't it? And because Jesus clarified it with a command to give all one has to the poor and follow him.

And though you argued Jesus isn't on earth anymore, the principle still applies to following the religion as much as Jesus in person.

And Acts (Ananus ans Sapphira) rams the point home - the practical way to do this is give every darn penny to the Church and keep nothing back. Or one is worthy of death. Of course, you can disregard what the Bible actually orders. Christians generally do.

POI
Prodigy

Post #64

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:04 am Sorry, I don't think that is true.
No surprise there :approve:
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #65

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:57 am Because the advice to one wealthy person applies to all, doesn't it?
Yes, if you would want to be perfect, you do the same. The problem obviously in this case is that you can't do the thing, because Jesus is not on earth. It simply is not possible to go to Jesus and follow him like when he was on earth. It is amazing how difficult that scripture is for you to understand.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:57 amAnd Acts (Ananus ans Sapphira) rams the point home - the practical way to do this is give every darn penny to the Church and keep nothing back. Or one is worthy of death. Of course, you can disregard what the Bible actually orders. Christians generally do.
The story shows disciples of Jesus didn't have to give their property.