Free Donuts at the Revolution

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Dimmesdale
Sage

Free Donuts at the Revolution

Post #1

Post by Dimmesdale »

I remember stumbling upon this video somewhere around me entering college or thereabouts.

I also remember having been exposed at some time, at some point, to the writings and persona of Francis Schaeffer, a famous Christian Apologist.

This video which lampoons him hit all the right notes for me back then. I saw Schaeffer as little more than a crank, whose "Christian Manifesto" which I partook of in bits and pieces, was the most banal, superficial and underwhelming type of propaganda I could ever try to get into.

I saw him as a Crank. That I commented once, that this video rightly "knocked this prattling old fool down a peg" was something I would have stood by for years, I am sure.

But then again, in those formative years of my life, when "God is Dead" pretty much summed up the whole extent of existence for me, I could hardly be able to "think outside the box."

I do not see Schaeffer as a mere crank now. I think that he, although perhaps not a thorough thinker, nevertheless merits some attention and respect, simply because of the seriousness of what is presented. That and, many of his predictions were indeed prescient. Although he is hardly a lone prophet. I'm sure one can say Orwell or Dostoevsky would have foretold our time too.

So what do I think of this video now? I think that, one can't argue another person out of the state of consciousness he had at any given point of time. Back then, I could not have been convinced otherwise. Christianity was an absolute fraud. Christianity was the epitome of boredom, and not a "Revolution" in any way, shape or form. You could get some pretty good donuts at the close of a service though. In some ways, I would have found that experience quite revolutionary back then. I still love food.

But my sights are now set on higher things. So I don't laugh out loud at this video. I just smile gently and move on.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein