Is it coherent to favor the Death Penalty but not abortion?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Flail

Is it coherent to favor the Death Penalty but not abortion?

Post #1

Post by Flail »

Question for debate:

Is it coherent (logical and consistent) to be supportive of the Death Penalty for some criminals, while at the same time being against all manner of abortion?

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: Is it coherent to favor the Death Penalty but not abortion?

Post #51

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Flail wrote: ↑Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:48 pm Question for debate:

Is it coherent (logical and consistent) to be supportive of the Death Penalty for some criminals, while at the same time being against all manner of abortion?
I wonder if there a Pro lifers out there who would support death pemalty for women who successfully aborted, or for doctors who gabe a helping hand here.

We have already enormous law punishments for abortion doctors in states where abortion is outlawed.
β€œIf you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry againπŸŸβ€

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

The Tanager
Savant

Post #52

Post by The Tanager »

The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:52 pm

I wonder if there a Pro lifers out there who would support death pemalty for women who successfully aborted, or for doctors who gabe a helping hand here.

We have already enormous law punishments for abortion doctors in states where abortion is outlawed.
I don't see any logical inconsistency in such, since "pro-lifers" is often a narrow term concerning one issue (abortion) rather than an overarching worldview. As to how many anti-abortionists (i.e., pro-lifers) who support such things, I have no idea. I don't have a logical problem with the death penalty, but I don't think it is needed in our modern society since we have ways of detaining and seeking to redeem those who have done grave wrongs.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #53

The Tanager wrote: ↑Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:01 am
The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:52 pm

I don't see any logical consistency in such, since "pro-lifers" is often a narrow term concerning one issue (abortion) rather than an overarching worldview. As to how many anti-abortionists (i.e., pro-lifers) who support such things, I have no idea. I don't have a logical problem with the death penalty, but I don't think it is needed in our modern society since we have ways of detaining and seeking to redeem those who have done grave wrongs.
The logical consistency is really obvious; Would Pro-lifers in their agenda to do anything in their might to prevent abortions go so far as to support fatal punishment for abortionists ?❓
Or at least for all women who ever completed a functioning abortion ?❓
Does this question not interest you ?❓
β€œIf you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry againπŸŸβ€

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

The Tanager
Savant

Post #54

Post by The Tanager »

The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 am
I don't see any logical consistency in such, since "pro-lifers" is often a narrow term concerning one issue (abortion) rather than an overarching worldview. As to how many anti-abortionists (i.e., pro-lifers) who support such things, I have no idea. I don't have a logical problem with the death penalty, but I don't think it is needed in our modern society since we have ways of detaining and seeking to redeem those who have done grave wrongs.
The logical consistency is really obvious; Would Pro-lifers in their agenda to do anything in their might to prevent abortions go so far as to support fatal punishment for abortionists ?❓
Why do you think the question doesn't interest me? I responded to it because it did interest me. Also, I changed my post to read "I don't see any logical inconsistency..." as I caught the typo after your post.

It is not logically inconsistent for "pro-lifers", which is a term that usually narrowly means they are against abortion not against all killing for any reason, to then turn around and be pro-death penalty for, say, serial killers (or even when any person takes the life of one other person). They could, logically, class the abortion doctor as a serial killer and, therefore, believe it warrants the death penalty. Perhaps a different label would be more helpful than "pro-life" but "pro-choice" isn't any more accurate, since "pro-choicers" don't want serial rapist's choices to be respected.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #55

The Tanager wrote: ↑Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:10 pm
The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 am
Why do you think the question doesn't interest me? I responded to it because it did interest me. Also, I changed my post to read "I don't see any logical inconsistency..." as I caught the typo after your post.

It is not logically inconsistent for "pro-lifers", which is a term that usually narrowly means they are against abortion not against all killing for any reason, to then turn around and be pro-death penalty for, say, serial killers (or even when any person takes the life of one other person). They could, logically, class the abortion doctor as a serial killer and, therefore, believe it warrants the death penalty. Perhaps a different label would be more helpful than "pro-life" but "pro-choice" isn't any more accurate, since "pro-choicers" don't want serial rapist's choices to be respected.
"Prolifers" and "Prochoicers" are perfect descriptions for differing sides of the abortiom question solely and are commonly understood as such.

It comes to mind of course that we could extend the termini to the world of the ongoing quarrel about the rights of masturbators.

There a many Prolifers out there who propagate that "Masturbation is murder!" and "Life begins at erection!".

Lets call these people "Masturbation meddlers" (for they would meddle with masturbation) and their adversarys "Masturbating Menaces" (for them are a menace to their own sperm, which already contains the beginning of life, that now thanks to the dark desyre for masturbation will mever reach embryohood).

But that Masturbation Science aside; I think that there is a reason for why it is rather logically inconsistent that Prolifers ever would support to make abortionist women punishable by death.

Prolifers are mostly conservative evangelical christians, who tend to see women as breeders (who even should have sex for procreation only).

And you dont kill a potential breeder if in your mindset breeding is the most important thing for women to do.

For dead bodys cannot breed. Only in a horror movie I saw as kid.

What do you think ?❓

The Tanager
Savant

Post #56

Post by The Tanager »

The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 pm"Prolifers" and "Prochoicers" are perfect descriptions for differing sides of the abortiom question solely and are commonly understood as such.
I wouldn’t say they are perfect descriptions, but I think they are good enough to be useful.
The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 pmThere a many Prolifers out there who propagate that "Masturbation is murder!" and "Life begins at erection!".
Many think it is wrong, but I’m not sure many say it is murder; I definitely don't.
The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 pmProlifers are mostly conservative evangelical christians, who tend to see women as breeders (who even should have sex for procreation only).
What are your sources for this claim? That is not what most conservative evangelical Christians believe about women.