The supergenious that marks scripture

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

tretothee350z
Student

The supergenious that marks scripture

Post #1

Post by tretothee350z »

The greatest evidence, for me at least, that the bible is inspired by the one true God is the profound unified theme that marks the scriptures.

The Bible is a collection of 66 books. It was written by different authors, in different places, on different continents, over a 1600 year period. In light of all these things, there is an impossibility that each and every book which has come to be called "the canon", would be so unified in theme, teaching, and structure. And further the Predictive prophecy clearly made in advance of its unquestioned fulfillment. The logical argument is as follows:

1. If the content of the Bible is characterized by a united simplicity and
inexhaustibility that is beyond mere human production, then the content of the
Bible is of divine origin.

2. The content of the Bible is characterized by a united simplicity and
inexhaustibility that is beyond mere human production.

3. Therefore the content of the Bible is of divine origin.

Even skeptics have admitted the uniqueness of the biblical message. Rousseau, the prominent eighteenth century thinker to whom such philosophers as Kant and Hegel acknowledged their debt said: "I will confess to you farther that the majesty of the Scriptures strikes me with admiration, as the purity of the Gospel has its influence on my heart. Peruse the works of our philosophers, with all their pomp of diction, how mean, how contemptible are they, compared with the Scriptures! Is it possible that a book, at once so simple and sublime, should be merely the work of man?"

The great simplicity associated with a length, and breadth, and depth of the
meaning in scripture far transcends the range and capacity of the most inspired genius.

If one is going to read the bible properly, he should look for foreshadows of Christ in every line of the old testament. The animals slain to cover the nakedness of our parents: That was Christ, slain to cover our shame and guilt. Moses, leading the Israelite people out of slavery to the Egyptian people: That was Christ leading his people out of slavery and bondage to s sin, and this fallen world. Abraham, ready to Sacrifice his Son Isaac on Mt. Horeb (the same mountain that Christ was crucified on), when God caused a lamb to get caught in the thicket as a substitute, that was Christ.

The extent to these foreshadows of the messiah are by no means exhaustive. hundreds, and hundreds mark the pages of biblical text, each story revealing something about the savior to come when read between the lines. This is not a farfetched position as even Jesus himself spoke in parables, and figurative language. The parables were told to reflect a higher spiritual reality deeper than the parables themselves. And for those with "eyes to see" it was revealed that the King in Jesus parables was actually Jesus himself.

The backdrop of scripture also has a common theme. It can be summarized depending on which theological point you wish to emphasize, but an example is as follows: The whole of redemptive history can be summarized as the Father seeking a bride for His son, separated into four stages... Creation, fall, redemption, and restoration.

In conclusion, it is this unity that makes scripture beyond human ability to improvise. The attempt of theology is to understand this unity, and what it is saying. It is a phenomenon on the Bible that is absolutely unique among the scriptures of the major world religions. I am referring to the amazing way that the Old Testament predicts and foreshadows the coming of the Messiah and how these predictions are fulfilled by Jesus of Nazareth. And this is what gives scripture its defense when properly understood. Jonathan Edwards called it the ineffable, distinguishing, evidential excellency in the Bible. Call it an objective divine glory in the Bible, but Gods fingerprint (as it were) truly is shown to us in the unified theme which points to the Christ, Gods Son, and when this reality is seen, the Bibles message is self authenticating. It needs no outside defense.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

tretothee350z wrote: God is just, he displays this attribute in sinners. God is holy. He must satisfy his justice, when injustice is committed against Him. But God is also love.
God is just and loving? Let's consider that statement for a moment. According to 1 Sam.6:19, God once killed exactly fifty thousand and seventy men because someone dared to look inside the Ark of the Covenant. That's a pretty serious hissy fit. Some might even label it a bit of an over reaction. According to the book of Job God killed Job's entire family just to prove a point to Satan. Just and loving? Seriously? These sorts of actions are neither just nor are they loving. They are the very definition of arbitrary and callous acts committed by a psychopath. Fortunately for me however, I have been entirely protected from God's psychotic and arbitrary rages my entire life through the simple fact of not supposing that "He" ever existed to begin with.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: The supergenious that marks scripture

Post #22

Post by McCulloch »

tretothee350z wrote: The greatest evidence, for me at least, that the bible is inspired by the one true God is the profound unified theme that marks the scriptures.
A committee of men chose from among the vast number of religious texts available, a collection that they want to represent their religion. Is it then an astounding fact that there ends up being a thematic similarity to these writings?
tretothee350z wrote: The Bible is a collection of 66 books. It was written by different authors, in different places, on different continents, over a 1600 year period.
There is a bit of hyperbole here. Yes, the Bible was written on different continents, however you could put it a different way. It was all written in the region of the eastern Mediterranean Sea.
tretothee350z wrote: And further the Predictive prophecy clearly made in advance of its unquestioned fulfillment.
Oh, please provide three (no more) of the best examples of predictive prophecy in the Bible.

Your argument seems to have been plagiarized from All Scripture is Breathed Out by God by Charles C. Pugh III, December 2, 2009,
Terms and conditions wrote:The contents of this Web Site, such as text, graphics, images, logos, button icons, software and other material (the “Material�), are protected under both United States and foreign copyright, trademark and other laws. All Material is the property of the Center or its content suppliers or clients. The compilation (meaning the collection, arrangement and assembly) of all content on this Web Site is the exclusive property of the Center and protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. Unauthorized use of the Material may violate copyright, trademark, and other laws. You must retain all copyright, trademark, service-mark and other proprietary notices contained in the original Material on any copy you make of the Material. You may not sell or modify the Material or reproduce, display, publicly perform, distribute, or otherwise use the Material in any way for any public or commercial purpose.

The use of the Material on any other web site or in a networked computer environment for any purpose is prohibited. Parties wishing to provide links to the Center’s web site from external sites must comply with the Center’s guidelines for linking to its site.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

orthodox skeptic

Post #23

Post by orthodox skeptic »

With all due respect for an erudite post, I employ a device that I've used before which, while not as learned in composition serves the purpose: If I told you that I read a book and believed it, though anonymously written, claiming Winston Churchill to have been a Nazi spy, you'd laugh in my face. Yet, you are perfectly in line to accept that a document, ascribed to an unknown number of anonymous authors, ravaged by scores of religious scholars and theologians, is unquestioned truth? KEEP the FAITH!!

tretothee350z wrote: The greatest evidence, for me at least, that the bible is inspired by the one true God is the profound unified theme that marks the scriptures.

The Bible is a collection of 66 books. It was written by different authors, in different places, on different continents, over a 1600 year period. In light of all these things, there is an impossibility that each and every book which has come to be called "the canon", would be so unified in theme, teaching, and structure. And further the Predictive prophecy clearly made in advance of its unquestioned fulfillment. The logical argument is as follows:

inexhaustibility that is beyond mere human production, then the content of the

inexhaustibility that is beyond mere human production.

Even skeptics have admitted the uniqueness of the biblical message. Rousseau, the prominent eighteenth century thinker to whom such philosophers as Kant and Hegel acknowledged their debt said: "I will confess to you farther that the majesty of the Scriptures strikes me with admiration, as the purity of the Gospel has its influence on my heart. Peruse the works of our philosophers, with all their pomp of diction, how mean, how contemptible are they, compared with the Scriptures! Is it possible that a book, at once so simple and sublime, should be merely the work of man?"

meaning in scripture far transcends the range and capacity of the most inspired genius.

If one is going to read the bible properly, he should look for foreshadows of Christ in every line of the old testament. The animals slain to cover the nakedness of our parents: That was Christ, slain to cover our shame and guilt. Moses, leading the Israelite people out of slavery to the Egyptian people: That was Christ leading his people out of slavery and bondage to s sin, and this fallen world. Abraham, ready to Sacrifice his Son Isaac on Mt. Horeb (the same mountain that Christ was crucified on), when God caused a lamb to get caught in the thicket as a substitute, that was Christ.

The extent to these foreshadows of the messiah are by no means exhaustive. hundreds, and hundreds mark the pages of biblical text, each story revealing something about the savior to come when read between the lines. This is not a farfetched position as even Jesus himself spoke in parables, and figurative language. The parables were told to reflect a higher spiritual reality deeper than the parables themselves. And for those with "eyes to see" it was revealed that the King in Jesus parables was actually Jesus himself.

The backdrop of scripture also has a common theme. It can be summarized depending on which theological point you wish to emphasize, but an example is as follows: The whole of redemptive history can be summarized as the Father seeking a bride for His son, separated into four stages... Creation, fall, redemption, and restoration.

In conclusion, it is this unity that makes scripture beyond human ability to improvise. The attempt of theology is to understand this unity, and what it is saying. It is a phenomenon on the Bible that is absolutely unique among the scriptures of the major world religions. I am referring to the amazing way that the Old Testament predicts and foreshadows the coming of the Messiah and how these predictions are fulfilled by Jesus of Nazareth. And this is what gives scripture its defense when properly understood. Jonathan Edwards called it the ineffable, distinguishing, evidential excellency in the Bible. Call it an objective divine glory in the Bible, but Gods fingerprint (as it were) truly is shown to us in the unified theme which points to the Christ, Gods Son, and when this reality is seen, the Bibles message is self authenticating. It needs no outside defense.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by kayky »

Tretothee:
The greatest evidence, for me at least, that the bible is inspired by the one true God is the profound unified theme that marks the scriptures.

The Bible is a collection of 66 books. It was written by different authors, in different places, on different continents, over a 1600 year period. HuIn light of all these things, there is an impossibility that each and every book which has come to be called "the canon", would be so unified in theme, teaching, and structure. And further the Predictive prophecy clearly made in advance of its unquestioned fulfillment. The logical argument is as follows:

KAYKY:

Considering that most of the Bible was written by people from the same culture, it is amazing to me how unified it is. It is chuck full of contradictions as well.

Tretothee:

inexhaustibility that is beyond mere human production, then tPhe content of the

inexhaustibility that is beyond mere human prodOuction.

KAYKY:

Let's pretend for a moment that your original premise is true (it isn't). If the Bible couldn't have been written by humans, it does not naturally follow that it was written by some supernatural divine being. Perhaps it is a relic of some ancient now extinct race. Perhaps it was delivered by extraterrestrials. In fact, it is quite obvious that the Bible was written by mere men.

Tretothee:

KAYKY:

This is meaningless.

Tretothee:

KAYKY:

I just don't see it. While parts of the Bible are beautifully poetic, other parts are quite ordinary. I've read better.

Tretothee:

KAYKY:

That's because the Gospel writers interpreted the life of Christ in light of these prophesies. It has nothing to do with actual fulfilled prophecy.

Tretothee:

In conclusion, it is this unity that makes scripture beyond human ability to improvise. The attempt of theology is to understand this unity, and what it is saying. It is a phenomenon on the Bible that is absolutely unique among the scriptures of the major world religions. I am referring to the amazing way that the Old Testament predicts and foreshadows the coming of the Messiah and how these predictions are fulfilled by Jesus of Nazareth. And this is what gives scripture its defense when properly understood. Jonathan Edwards called it the ineffable, distinguishing, evidential excellency in the Bible. Call it an objective divine glory in the Bible, but Gods fingerprint (as it were) truly is shown to us in the unified theme which points to the Christ, Gods Son, and when this reality is seen, the Bibles message is self authenticating. It needs no outside

KAYKY:

There is nothing in the Bible that is beyond human abilities. Have you even read the writings of other religions? You might be surprised by how profound some of them are.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by JoeyKnothead »

The Bible is of divine origin?

Then why the heck do so many folks hafta go from hotel to hotel puttin' 'em in the drawers?

Is God's poofer broke?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

JoeyKnothead wrote: The Bible is of divine origin?

Then why the heck do so many folks hafta go from hotel to hotel puttin' 'em in the drawers?

Is God's poofer broke?
Did you ever actually see anyone put those Bibles in those drawers?

:-k
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by JoeyKnothead »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote: The Bible is of divine origin?

Is God's poofer broke?
Did you ever actually see anyone put those Bibles in those drawers?

:-k
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #28

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to tretothee350z in post #1]
When I am reading an OP like this, I instantly ask myself:
How far can cognitive dissonance go?❓🍄

Biblical scripture is not that great at all!
Lets start with the brainwashed hogwash of seeing "The Bible" as a compact coherent standalone work. It isnt!
(The Book of Mormon, for that matter, IS!)

MIxed mythologys cooked together by church fathers still remain the same potpourry!❗🐑🐼

This is worthy for debate. But first: Here is the most actual article from Richard Carrier about reliability of especially the four canonical gospels and their supposed authors, which were many and not just the Fantastic Four.🐸
https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/17258
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #29

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Yes, we get a lot of fulsome admiration for the Bible even taken as two books The Jews revere their scripture and dismiss the NT, even if they admit that it is well written. There are other holy Books that compare.Indeed Muslims praise the language of the Quran so highly that it becomes apologetics evidence - 'Nobody but God could have written that'. Such cannot be said of the Bible.A bunch of humans certainly could have written the various contributions to the anthology called 'The Bible' and considering the faults and contradictions, various humans did.