None good but God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

None good but God

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: None good but God

Post #141

Post by Wootah »

TheHolyGhost wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:18 pm
Wootah wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:08 pm
TheHolyGhost wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:16 pm
Wootah wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:48 am [Replying to TheHolyGhost in post #136]
Matthew 16:24-26
English Standard Version
Take Up Your Cross and Follow Jesus
24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
Pick up your cross and carry it. Absolutely.
Why are you carrying it?
For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
How did you lose your life for the sake of Jesus?
Romans 6:3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

https://biblehub.com/romans/6-3.htm
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

TheHolyGhost
Banned
Banned

Post #142

Post by TheHolyGhost »

Wootah wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:50 pm
TheHolyGhost wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:18 pm
Wootah wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:08 pm
TheHolyGhost wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:16 pm
Wootah wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:48 am [Replying to TheHolyGhost in post #136]
Matthew 16:24-26
English Standard Version
Take Up Your Cross and Follow Jesus
24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
Pick up your cross and carry it. Absolutely.
Why are you carrying it?
For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
How did you lose your life for the sake of Jesus?
Romans 6:3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

https://biblehub.com/romans/6-3.htm
Now that is funny. I think it is funny, people believe that nonsense.
Matthew 22:32
God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Wootah
Savant

Post #143

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to TheHolyGhost in post #142]

1 Corinthians 15:31 I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day!

TheHolyGhost
Banned
Banned

Post #144

Post by TheHolyGhost »

Wootah wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:11 am [Replying to TheHolyGhost in post #142]

1 Corinthians 15:31 I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day!
Some more nonsense.
In Christ Jesus I passed over from death to life. I live everyday in Christ.

Give it up, you will never prevail over me. Not even if you call upon your god to help you.

Wootah
Savant

Post #145

Post by Wootah »

TheHolyGhost wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:14 am
Wootah wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:11 am [Replying to TheHolyGhost in post #142]

Some more nonsense.
In Christ Jesus I passed over from death to life. I live everyday in Christ.

Give it up, you will never prevail over me. Not even if you call upon your god to help you.
You either live for the world and die to Christ or die to the world and live in Christ.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #146

Post by onewithhim »

ttruscott wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:31 am
Wootah wrote: Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
...obviously another hint to the Trinity and divine Messiah.
Not at all. Jesus clearly refers to his Father as being the only one that is good. This is in an absolute sense. The Father has not one iota of badness or even ability to be tempted. Jesus was not bad, but he was tempted just like any human or spirit being. In relation to God, only God could be said to be purely "good."

Hebrews 4:15: "For we have as high priest, not one who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tested in all respects like ourselves, but without sin."

Jesus succeeded in resisting temptation, and that is why he can be our savior. He did what his Father wanted him to accomplish. That is why God gave him a higher position: "When he found himself in fashion as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient as far as death....For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position...."

So, Jesus was tempted but remained faithful. That is why he is the perfect savior for us, God saving us through Jesus, the Son.

(Not a "hint to the trinity!")

Wootah
Savant

Post #147

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:22 pm
Wootah wrote: Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
Not at all. Jesus clearly refers to his Father as being the only one that is good. This is in an absolute sense. The Father has not one iota of badness or even ability to be tempted. Jesus was not bad, but he was tempted just like any human or spirit being. In relation to God, only God could be said to be purely "good."

Hebrews 4:15: "For we have as high priest, not one who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tested in all respects like ourselves, but without sin."

Jesus succeeded in resisting temptation, and that is why he can be our savior. He did what his Father wanted him to accomplish. That is why God gave him a higher position: "When he found himself in fashion as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient as far as death....For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position...."

So, Jesus was tempted but remained faithful. That is why he is the perfect savior for us, God saving us through Jesus, the Son.

If in an absolute sense Jesus is not good then he cannot pay for our sins against a holy God.

In any other context you would understand this: If I owe you 100 dollars but gave you a good one dollar coin you would not accept it.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #148

Post by Purple Knight »

This is kind of where the whole purity thing breaks down and it's one of my major problems with Christianity.

It's defining something like picking your nose as beyond the most vile thing imaginable, and wanting something unblemished beyond all imagining of unblemished, to pay for it. So they had to make it up. I'm not saying anything didn't happen; I'm saying there is no purity beyond simply never doing anything wrong.

Why are the wages of sin, death? Is that fair? Is that 1:1? Unless the sin was killing somebody I think not.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #149

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:48 pm
onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:22 pm

If in an absolute sense Jesus is not good then he cannot pay for our sins against a holy God.
God thought that Jesus was good enough. He paid for our sins, as the Bible states unequivocally.

Wootah
Savant

Post #150

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #149]

Yes, your problem is you think not God is good enough. You want the standard lower and works based.