Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

1. Jehovah’s Witnesses say Jesus was “a god.” This is how the NWT reads (John 1:1).

Do JW’s believe Jesus was a true or false god?

2. JW’s say Jesus is a created being.

When was Jesus (capital or lower case g) created?

I look forward to your responses to one or both questions.

MissKate13
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

LittleNipper
Scholar

Re: Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Post #641

Post by LittleNipper »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:43 am [Replying to LittleNipper in post #639]

Nothing proves that Jesus is God.
The very fact of JESUS' GOODNESS is proof enough that JESUS is GOD according to JESUS' definition of GOOD. You clearly wish to uphold the JW organization's stance/propaganda and place Charles Russell above CHRIST who is Lord of ALL. Faith in the JWs practices, views, and leadership never saves anyone ------ but thanks for ignoring the post above. JESUS HIMSELF proves HE is GOD. By the way, who are the 144,000 according to the Holy Scriptures? You never did answer that one, and I'm sure I know why.
Last edited by LittleNipper on Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bob the baptist
Student

Post #642

Post by bob the baptist »

MissKate13 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:39 am 1. Jehovah’s Witnesses say Jesus was “a god.” This is how the NWT reads (John 1:1).

MissKate13
I am not JW. But as I understand it, JWs do not have belief in the trinity, that Jesus is God in the flesh and God in the Spirit. They can correct me, but simply put, they do not believe in the same God you and I do. To Christians the concept of the Trinity is the essence of the Gospel of Jesus Christ: God came to our world in the flesh (Jesus) fullfilling the prophecy of Isaiah 7:14 Immanuel (God is with us). He had to sacrifice himself (prophesied plan throughout the old testament) for our sins and could not do it unless in human form. To further complete the prophecies, he had to remain in the grave the same number of days Jonah was in the belly of the whale, then he arose, witnessed by over 500 people, then had to ascend to the right hand of God before the Spirit could be sent, further fulfilling prophecies of the outpouring to occur shortly after. The provision of salvation only works if Jesus is God. Jesus is God incarnate, the eternal Alpha and Omega (Revelation 1:8; 22:13), and God our Savior (2 Peter 1:1).

Is Jesus God?

John 10:30 I and the Father are one.

John 10:33 The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.”

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

John 20:28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”

2 Peter 1 Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

So I know your intent here, but its like debating a member of the LDS, Jew, or Islam. They may claim the "God of Abraham" but they do not believe God is Jesus in Flesh and Spirit. They have not understood what we know as the Gospel of Christ. Immanuel.

So I do not believe the JWs call themselves Christians as we define the word, forgive me if I'm wrong, but to us, only trinitarians are Christian, a child of God. I have read a few who say they use the NWT exclusively which does not translate the same as our many translations. Our terminology will never match up with their understanding. If a JW would weigh in on my thinking I'd appreciate the correction. I know about as much of Jehovah's Witness as you know of the Trinity so forgive my ignorance.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #643

Post by LittleNipper »

bob the baptist wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:48 pm
MissKate13 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:39 am 1. Jehovah’s Witnesses say Jesus was “a god.” This is how the NWT reads (John 1:1).

MissKate13
I am not JW. But as I understand it, JWs do not have belief in the trinity, that Jesus is God in the flesh and God in the Spirit. They can correct me, but simply put, they do not believe in the same God you and I do. To Christians the concept of the Trinity is the essence of the Gospel of Jesus Christ: God came to our world in the flesh (Jesus) fullfilling the prophecy of Isaiah 7:14 Immanuel (God is with us). He had to sacrifice himself (prophesied plan throughout the old testament) for our sins and could not do it unless in human form. To further complete the prophecies, he had to remain in the grave the same number of days Jonah was in the belly of the whale, then he arose, witnessed by over 500 people, then had to ascend to the right hand of God before the Spirit could be sent, further fulfilling prophecies of the outpouring to occur shortly after. The provision of salvation only works if Jesus is God. Jesus is God incarnate, the eternal Alpha and Omega (Revelation 1:8; 22:13), and God our Savior (2 Peter 1:1).

Is Jesus God?

John 10:33 The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.”

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

2 Peter 1 Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

So I know your intent here, but its like debating a member of the LDS, Jew, or Islam. They may claim the "God of Abraham" but they do not believe God is Jesus in Flesh and Spirit. They have not understood what we know as the Gospel of Christ. Immanuel.

So I do not believe the JWs call themselves Christians as we define the word, forgive me if I'm wrong, but to us, only trinitarians are Christian, a child of God. I have read a few who say they use the NWT exclusively which does not translate the same as our many translations. Our terminology will never match up with their understanding. If a JW would weigh in on my thinking I'd appreciate the correction. I know about as much of Jehovah's Witness as you know of the Trinity so forgive my ignorance.
Ack them (JW's) about the 144,000. Ask them if they partake of the sacrificial wine and bread. The answers may surprise you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #644

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I am not JW. But as I understand it, JWs do not have belief in the trinity, that Jesus is God in the flesh and God in the Spirit. They can correct me, but simply put, they do not believe in the same God you and I do.
That is correct. We do not believe in your trinitarian god that became a human, was seen by thousand of people and died. We Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the One True God (YHWH) , the God of the bible.

You're welcome,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

Out website if you want more information about us: www.jw.org
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

bob the baptist
Student

Post #645

Post by bob the baptist »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:08 am
I am not JW. But as I understand it, JWs do not have belief in the trinity, that Jesus is God in the flesh and God in the Spirit. They can correct me, but simply put, they do not believe in the same God you and I do.
That is correct. We do not believe in your trinitarian god that became a human, was seen by thousand of people and died. We Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the One True God (YHWH) , the God of the bible.

You're welcome,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

That's what I was thinking, you're not claiming to be Christians. Thanks.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #646

Post by onewithhim »

MissKate13

Is Jesus God?

But God cannot die. Jesus died.

Also, the plan for salvation did not depend on God coming to earth himself. The sacrifice had to be another perfect MAN. That would balance the scales of justice. Jesus for Adam. "For since death is through a man, resurrection of the dead is also through a MAN. For just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive." (I Corinthians 15:21,22)

God didn't have to come to the earth. He stayed in heaven and was the Source of the resurrection of Jesus from the dead.

Immanuel, "God with us," simply means that God's representative was here and that is how God could be among men. That is the way that God chose to be among us. He sent Jesus and Jesus did just what he was told to do. (John 5:19)

And we ARE Christians.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #647

Post by JehovahsWitness »

bob the baptist wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:28 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:08 am

You're welcome,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

That's what I was thinking, you're not claiming to be Christians. Thanks.
Well you were thinking wrong. I presume you are happy to be corrected on this point too.. .
bob the baptist wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:28 am ...They can correct me ...

In any case I will takr you up on the first invitation and correct you. Jehovah's Witnesses not only claim to be Christians, we are Christians.

Again...you're welcome!
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8